Where to park camper

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by mitchmp, Feb 21, 2020.

1. mitchmp

mitchmp New Member

Newbie question. Where do you park attached pups for short duration stops (couple hours or so) in towns of interest along way to your overnite destination. I'm talking about those smaller towns w/ historic/artisan districts that you wanna visit.

xvz12 and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Where you can fit and will not get blocked in. Its not easy sometimes.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Wherever I can - street parking, parking lot, whatever is legal. Only concern is whether the camper is level enough to leave the fridge running - usually it's not so I've always turned the fridge off, turn it back on once we're ready to get back on the road.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

In some towns that is extremely hard. In some situations I've had to disconnect the camper from the car. Left the camper behind in a parking lot while I traveled in town. I hate doing that for fear of it being stolen. I bought a tongue lock, lowered the stabilizers and took the crank with me. I have had luck parking at large grocery stores, warehouses and occasionally street parking if allowed. It's a hit or miss if the town is very small or crowed with tourists. In one town I managed to find a park on the outskirts of town and parked there and just walked into town. Thats One of the things that's frusterating about towing is finding places big enough to fit your setup and to ensure you have a way out as well. I've been stuck once trying to get out from a dead end road (not realizing it was a dead end) with a camper that I'm insanely cautious about where I park now. To the point I'd rather park at camp and just take an extra long day trip.

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I generally don't spend a lot of time trying. You will have better luck finding street side parking if you get there early. If it's a place that I really want to visit and explore I find a campground close and spend a night or two.

shuang2, xvz12 and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  6. Just Joey

Just Joey Member

Take your bicycle. Park the rig somewhere safe and pedal around town. An ebike is easier yet.

7. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Well-Known Member

I don't even try - we venture out from our destination to visit what we can. If there is a place in route we want to see, I will get a spot at a nearby campground for a couple nights and explore that area.

cindy_k, woodentoy and shuang2 like this.
  8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

sometimes its a challenge, but rarely a stop to the touristing, as we don’t mind walking. Toughest one is to stop at Groveland in the upper Sierras for coffee, but on the last trip we did spy some public parking to try next time. We did get snookered on a dead end one time.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You too! I blame the gps. Turned onto a dead end farm road, gps said it was the on ramp for the hyway. Lol. Lucky it was empty. Added 20 mins onto the trip. That was me backing out and turning around. Not fun.

jmkay1 and xvz12 like this.
  10. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

There's nothing quite like having to back up a trailer on a dead end FS road for a mile or two, because there's no place to turn around....been there, done that.

jmkay1 and shuang2 like this.
  11. strangiato

strangiato Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone tried leaving it at a local police station while in a town? I would think that if you went inside first and politely asked permission, they may be amenable seeing as how you will be spending time in their town and possibly spending tourist money. Even if they don't allow you to do it, they may be able to tell you where you could park.

Overland likes this.
  12. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Never do....if I want to visit somewhere I set it up at campsite and then tool around for a couple days. Many places won't allow you to leave it unhooked on public streets or parking areas.

BillyMc likes this.
  13. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Darn GPS is always doing that...
    20161126_142539.jpg

Anyway we never really stop to sight see on the way. My issue is 4 other bladders all having to empty at different times along with stomachs wanting to be filled at different times...1st usually follows the 2nd one.
    So trying to park somewhere to accomplish those both at the same time can be difficult too.

14. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Checkout google maps satellite view of the area you want to stop at. Look for nearby parking lots. If it is off hours then things like banks/offices will work. Satellite view will provide a sense of of how safe the area might be, show you parking lot entrance and exits, and let you plan your approach and exit ahead of time. We travel all over, now with a TT, and don't think twice about stopping along the way. BTW, same approach works for gas stations as well.

15. BillyMc

Happened last trip twice.

16. 4xMeteor

GPS? Don’t use one, don’t trust them. I look at a map to plan the trip, use Google Earth to check roads, fuel stations, parking, etc... enter everything in to a spreadsheet. Print The spreadsheet and head out. If I have to go off my planned route, I pull over and review map and Google Earth.

Pommom70 and kcsa75 like this.
  17. BillyMc

Running Google Maps while in route will alert you to some traffic jams, speed traps, alternate routes in the event of a jam, and alert you to your turn coming up when your tooling along listening to your favorite jam. I have started using it for my commute home in the afternoon due to the frequency of accidents along my route.

Slow&Steady and grandpa mikey like this.
  18. 4xMeteor

@BillyMc True, a GPS (or something like Google Maps, Wazes, etc...) does have some good features, I've just never gotten in the habit of using one.

kcsa75 likes this.
  19. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We only pull over to spots where we can park safely and still have room to get out should others park around us. I would never consider dropping the trailer somewhere and heading out unless it was an emergency. Especially now with pups and other campers in such high demand.

We do use GPS for navigation - I prefer Waze as it does a better job of alerting you to traffic, road construction, accidents and speed traps, but I like Google Maps for the lane instructions. None of that is particularly good though when you get off the beaten path. A couple years ago we flew our son up to Portland so he could do a horse trek across Mt. Hood for 10 days. Mid trip there was a parents BBQ/pot luck at one of the USFS equestrian campgrounds, so we flew up early, rented a car, and drove out there. I at least downloaded the Google Map data for the area, as we lost cell signal on the way there. BBQ ended around 830 or 9, we headed out and were staying in a different hotel up by the Columbia river. Google routed us through USFS roads, so there we are, driving in a rented minivan along and eventually got onto the dirt roads, some of which had enough foliage on the sides to further reduce to one lane. Sheer drops on the passenger side (DW was NOT happy) but we eventually made it out an hour or so later. Made for an interesting trip, and there were two spots where trees had fallen across the road and recently been cut to make a path.

20. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

Were new to all of the above, cant even back up properly, at all.

1380ken and Sjm9911 like this.