Where to park camper

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by mitchmp, Feb 21, 2020.

1. mitchmp

mitchmp New Member

Newbie question. Where do you park attached pups for short duration stops (couple hours or so) in towns of interest along way to your overnite destination. I'm talking about those smaller towns w/ historic/artisan districts that you wanna visit.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Where you can fit and will not get blocked in. Its not easy sometimes.

xxxapache likes this.
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Wherever I can - street parking, parking lot, whatever is legal. Only concern is whether the camper is level enough to leave the fridge running - usually it's not so I've always turned the fridge off, turn it back on once we're ready to get back on the road.

xxxapache likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

In some towns that is extremely hard. In some situations I've had to disconnect the camper from the car. Left the camper behind in a parking lot while I traveled in town. I hate doing that for fear of it being stolen. I bought a tongue lock, lowered the stabilizers and took the crank with me. I have had luck parking at large grocery stores, warehouses and occasionally street parking if allowed. It's a hit or miss if the town is very small or crowed with tourists. In one town I managed to find a park on the outskirts of town and parked there and just walked into town. Thats One of the things that's frusterating about towing is finding places big enough to fit your setup and to ensure you have a way out as well. I've been stuck once trying to get out from a dead end road (not realizing it was a dead end) with a camper that I'm insanely cautious about where I park now. To the point I'd rather park at camp and just take an extra long day trip.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I generally don't spend a lot of time trying. You will have better luck finding street side parking if you get there early. If it's a place that I really want to visit and explore I find a campground close and spend a night or two.