Where to put the blue boy?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Steveo4090, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I just went out and measured ours and it's 14" deep at the bottom due to the wheels, the rest of it 12" deep and only 40" height. I didn't measure how wide it was because I forgot. But the listing is wrong.

It's insanely heavy and we got it to replace our 2 wheeled one that is 30 gallon (I think.) After hubby had a heart attack, I didn't want him lifting it up to dump. This 4 wheeled one is fantastic! No lifting to attach to hitch or dump it. It's worth every penny if you consider that you can have a heart attack or ruin your back. You only have one body.

One more thing I noticed is that we paid $40 less for it in February of THIS YEAR. It's crazy. RV item prices are going through the roof.

Sjm9911, HappyTraveler and Steveo4090 like this.
  2. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Thats not surprising at all lol

Yes the 4 wheeled version will save my back for when I'm at work. I need that in one piece so I can make a living and I'd hate to explain what I was doing if I hurt myself on a poop dumping run. [LOL]

Sjm9911, HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  3. Orchid

[LOL][LOL][LOL] We're in our 50's, just have to save our backs for camping. Or should I say hubby's back because I don't do any heavy lifting.

Amazon will have those mounts back in stock soon. When they have a listing worded like that, it's usually very temporary. Should be back in stock within a week or so. I'm an Amazon seller (and an obsessive Amazon shopper LOL,) so very familiar with their practices. You can buy it now and they won't charge your card until it ships.

Sjm9911 and Steveo4090 like this.
  4. Orchid

Actually, it was in May, not February. So much for my memory. [LOL][LOL] But it was $44 cheaper just a few months ago.

tank.JPG

5. Steveo4090

Wow, that's a pretty quick and large price increase.

Orchid likes this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I really like the 4 wheeled models for ease of moving. When I bought my Rhino they didn't have the 4 wheeled ones yet. However, most of the campgrounds I frequent have speedbumps and rough roads on the way to the dump station. Those 4 wheeled ones don't always play nice with that kind of road hazard.

7. united1889

united1889 New Member

I built a stand out if wood that went over top of the battery box and put the tote on its side and used ratchet straps around the whole thing and its works fantastic.

Dsmith469 and Orchid like this.
  8. Orchid

Ours has only been on one trip so far, the first week of June. We use it for shower water and it made 2 trips to the dump site, with no issues.

All the places we camp do have dirt roads, other than Disney, but have never seen a speed bump in any campground.

I hope ours holds up over time.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad Member

I bought the same unit for when we camp without full hook ups. My black and grey tanks are 30 gallons each. I wanted the extra room so I could back flush the black tank a bit and maybe only make one trip to the sani-station. The 4 wheels are great, I use the TV to get it to the sani-station. No need to move the trailer this way. I might see about making a "hitch" on my bicycle so I could ride it over but I have a feeling with the weight I'd look ridiculous trying to get it to move.

I've got a platform on the back of my trailer the previous owner added. They must have been a welder, that platform is not going anywhere. I either put the tote on there to move with some ratchet straps holding it in place or in the back of truck. I put a bit of diluted bleach in the tote to help keep the smell down.

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We've kicked around the idea of getting one of these tanks, but have resisted for two reasons:
    1. I really didn't think I needed one. But this year we've been taking longer trips and the black tank, in particular, has been filling up and making the trailer stink.
    2. How to lug it around.

This thread has some great solutions. I'm thinking the ladder hooks might be a good solution with some slight modifications, but I just can't bring myself to part with a couple hundred bucks for something to haul a load of manure. Why are they so darn expensive?

I've checked Marketplace and Craigslist a few times and if there are any available folks are wanting top dollar. No thanks.

11. Steveo4090

I didn't mind paying for it so long as it works. I didn't want to skimp on something like that and end up with the stinky issues that would come from it. I have 5 people in the camper so if we're staying a weekend without sewer hookups and not using the CG bathhouse, I have no choice but to haul one along. I really didn't want to buy someone else's old one either...kinda like having someone's old sewer hose. No thanks, I'll get my own new lol. I already bought someone's used sewer solution that came with a thrown in macerator that needed some work. That was gross enough, even after I sanitized it thoroughly. Lesson learned.

The bolt on camco mount arrives today via Amazon so maybe I'll get it mounted tomorrow and see how it looks

12. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Member

Steve - not sure about your 185, but our 163 has an open section under the front of the camper that I am going to make a frame for hanging the blue boy. It will tuck up almost completely under the camper there. I don't expect to use it often (only two of us), but want to have it with us. I kept the tank we used with our Viking PuP, which has a clever metal towing bracket to haul the tank to the dump station on the hitch ball.

13. Steveo4090

There is an open area in the front underneath. I'd probably have a couple issues with mounting it there. First I would likely bottom out on it coming out of our driveway. I already lightly scrape the bottom of the cleanout gate - go figure the swivel wheels we paid to have welded on the back don't go down far enough to prevent it from hitting. Secondly, our tank is a monster. It would be quite the chore to get it mounted up under the camper. It'll be hard enough getting it onto the bumper.

With that said, the camco bumper mount brackets go up too high by about 2 inches when mounted on the top of the bumper. The back bunk door would fold down and hit the top of the bracket. Since the loop thats welded on the bracket us right at the top of it, I can't cut anything off. So I'm trying to see if I mounting them on the bottom of the bumper and laying the tote sideways will work. Nothing is ever straightforward it seems lol

Sjm9911 and Jim K in PA like this.
  14. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Member

Understood.

We have/use a 22gal Barker tote (pic below). It will fit without clearance issues in the frame opening. I've moved it full a few times, and have no desire to move one any larger/heavier.

Sounds like you need some axle spacers and 15" wheels!

[​IMG]

15. Steveo4090

Yeah I wish. I have a torsion axle and from what they tell me its up as high as possible. I'm not terribly familiar with them yet either. I have tons of room in the wheel wells for 15" wheels, but very little space between the tires, so I doubt 15's would ever work. Even if they did fit, I wouldn't be able to use my Anderson type levelers or x-chocks anymore lol

16. Steveo4090

Ok, here's what I came up with. Mounted the camco brackets under the bumper. Made a pvc spacer with 1-1/4" pipe for the upside down u-bolts for the front and used a piece of 1-1/4" square steel tubing for the back of the tote. The wheel rests on the tubing. I attached foam to the pvc pipe and brackets so I don't get rub holes in my new tote.
    I had to use different straps than what came with the kit since they weren't long enough. They weren't long enough even if I mounted it all the intended way anyhow. 20200914_123546.jpg 20200914_124410.jpg
    I also removed the handle for transportation just so it doesn't rattle around. Just a quick cotter pin to reattach it anyway.

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Now you are ready for any crap that comes your way! [:D]

18. Steveo4090

As long as it stays put on the bumper lol

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Member

I need to do that wheel/tire upgrade for our tote. [8D]

Steveo4090 likes this.
  20. Steveo4090

They seem to be pretty good wheels. The back wheels have grease fittings as well. One issue I've read people have is the caps that hold them on the axles can pop off allowing the whole wheel come off...then a mess usually follows. I may drill a hole in the cap, through the axle, and put a cotter pin in it.

Jim K in PA likes this.