Where to put the level?

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Kasey Redrum, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Kasey Redrum

Kasey Redrum Member

I bought this little triangular looking level. Where do I put this? 2005 rockwood 1640. I think I saw one installed on the tongue at the front. Is that the right place?

Attached Files:

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yes that would go on the tongue..

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Just be sure to put that ON TOP of the frame not on the side.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

WE use it on the A-frame, in a spot that agrees with a longer level placed inside (& in our TT, we also used a torpedo level in the fridge).
    On our Cobalt pup, there was a specific spot that agreed with the inside, and close by, it was off by a fair bit.
    We never have installed the level on the outside, we've seen too many dried out husks of levels that were glued onto campers over the year. Our UV is harsh, so we keep the level in the tow vehicle. Also, compare any small level to one known to be accurate. I had two extra of those small t-levels sitting next to each other as I reorganized a tool box, and realized they did not agree. Sure enough one was completely wrong.
    The one directly on the A-frame is the correct one. The slight bit it's off horizontal is due to the driveway - just enough to notice, not enough to use leveling blocks.

Attached Files:

5. Econ

Econ Active Member

What level measurement would you trust the most? The level that is 2" in length or one that is 4' in length? Do the math.

Why do you want the camper level?
    1) It is easier to sleep when level
    2) Dometic demands that the Refrig be within 3 degrees of level side to side and 6 degrees front and back.

I can't tell any difference sleeping when a half degree off.

For some strange reason it is the left side that is low 75% of the time.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The small t-levels have worked well for us, with the caveat that we've compared them to the long (carpenter's) level, for accuracy, and agreement for inside the camper (+ the fridge for the 17' TT). Too much work to climb inside to use the long level every time, neither pup had a place on the roof that was useful for leveling to set a level, mot possible on the TT. We're good as knowing how many Lynx blocks to use to level it - we're right well above 90% of the time. )There are those sites with sneaky dips and rises.) I had one helpful camp host pull out his handy dandy phone app after I'd leveled, using my t-level in its assigned location. He was sure I hadn't gotten it right so quickly - surprised him that it was nicely level.
    Bulls-eye style? Not so much, I once lost the t-level, had no extras, and the only small level I could find was a bulls-eye one. Got the camper leveled, then looked at it from across the site, my eyeballs were more accurate than that type of level. (thankfully side to side was level)

7. Econ

Econ Active Member

My point was we are fussing over the most accurate place to attach a level when the level, a 2" one, is not that accurate to begin with.

I laid a 4' level on the floor then attached the bubble level to the front, left, upper box so I can get out and read it the easiest while siting the camper. I want a bigger level so it can be read from the drivers seat.

Mine is 1" = about 1 degree. Bubble reads your off 3 degrees. build up 2 lynx high plus the 1/2" thick, homemade lynx I built.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I level from right inside the door on the floor with a six inch level. It is an easy spot and you really just want the floor level.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My case is I really have to have my side where the door is mounted to be level so I installed one of these bubble levels just below the door with double sided stick tape...

[​IMG]
    Google image

If my front door is not level then it is very hard to open and close...

The only other level area I mess with is I like to drop the back side of the trailer roof an inch or so that the air conditioner run-off goes to the back of the trailer and not drip down on the front awning or patio area when setup...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]