Where would you spend your money?!?

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
Update!! I went with the 2019 SomerSet Evolution E3 Off-Road!!

Reasons - Unfortunately for the seller, they were going through a divorce and had to dump it off fast. I paid off their loan and took it home. Paid 6-8K under what others asking for same year/model. Also, the Fleetwood roof scared me a bit and the seller was going out of town and wanted me to buy if without being able to pop it up!?!?! After I made it clear that was not gonna happen, he agree to change his schedule to allow it to be popped up, but then the day before I was going to drive out there he "remembered" he did some roof repairs on the inside and never recovered with new vinyl. I didnt even waste my time looking at it as I lost trust in the seller. I am happy with my SomerSet and the price I paid! Thanks for the information!

Hi all,
I am buying an Evolution E3 Deck Friday! But I have 2 choices... Looking for some opinions from more experienced owners as I have never owned a Pop-Up. If it was your money, which one would you pick and why? I understand prices are high now, but it is what it is... Is saving 5K worth it?

Option 1(leaning towards this one) - 2019 SomerSet Evolution E3 Off-road - Garage Kept, no issues, has factory awning, power up top, good off-road tires, Price $15,300 Firm.

Option 2(cost savings) - -2007 Fleetwood Evolution E3 - Garage Kept, no issues, great shape, upgraded AC unit, comes with sway bar system, NO Awning, NOT power up top, standard street tires, Price #10K firm.

Last edited:

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Wow, tough choice.

I personally would go with the Somerset. Having the power lift is a BIG PLUS. It's newer and it has an awning. To me, AC is not a big selling point, but not knowing where you are located or how you camp, I can't say. If you're going to be dry camping, you wouldn't be able to use the AC without a generator.

Somerset bought the patents from Fleetwood to build their E units so the bones are about the same.

You noted that neither have any issues. If you look deep enough, ALL campers new and used have issues. [LOL]

Whatever you do, do it quick. These will sell fast.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Myself. With those two choices. I would ot for the 2007. Here's why.

Build quality for any trailer/rv has gone down hill since 2010 (started even bore then), specially in the last few years. I know more people with 5yr old and newer rvs that have taken them into a shop for work, more then they have taken them into a campground.

On the 2007, anything that is gong to break/fail probably already has and has either been fixed or accounted for in the price.

Trailer tires (even LT tires used on trailers) should be replaced (*industry standard is) every 5 years, due to them sitting still much longer then a vehicle tire. So assuming the tires on the 2019 are original, they will need replacing in the next 2-3 years anyways..

A $5k savings can go towards a lot of mods, or camping.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Build quality for any trailer/rv has gone down hill since 2010 (started even bore then), specially in the last few years.
I agree with you there for most manufactures but I must say that Somerset maintained a very high build quality, much higher then most. I would say that the bones of a 2019 Somerset E3 would match a 2007 Fleetwood E3. The difference would be in any 3rd party item like the fridge, water heater, and/or heater.

But like I said, if you look deep enough, ALL campers new and used have issues.

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
Columbia Northwest/Aliner has discontinued the Somerset brand to focus on Aliner’s. They’ll be rare in the future. Always heard they were high quality campers if there is such a thing in the RV world.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Columbia Northwest/Aliner has discontinued the Somerset brand to focus on Aliner’s.
Yup, and Fleetwood discontinued their PopUp Camper division due to stupid business decisions. [LOL]
Always heard they were high quality campers
Yup, one of the best made IMHO after Coleman/Fleetwood. They just could build their dealer network fast enough to make a profit.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Columbia Northwest/Aliner has discontinued the Somerset brand to focus on Aliner’s. They’ll be rare in the future. Always heard they were high quality campers if there is such a thing in the RV world.
Fleetwood was closed longer, but that is a very good point to make. Finding a repair shop willing to work on a Fleetwood and probably the Somerset can be problematic because they are no longer in business. So repairs may be on you to fix. You can track down parts yourself but can be a bit tricky and expensive if needing to get it shipped. For instance Colemanpopupparts.com has all Fleetwood parts but they are based in MD.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
Wow, tough choice.

I personally would go with the Somerset. Having the power lift is a BIG PLUS. It's newer and it has an awning. To me, AC is not a big selling point, but not knowing where you are located or how you camp, I can't say. If you're going to be dry camping, you wouldn't be able to use the AC without a generator.

Somerset bought the patents from Fleetwood to build their E units so the bones are about the same.

You noted that neither have any issues. If you look deep enough, ALL campers new and used have issues. [LOL]

Whatever you do, do it quick. These will sell fast.
So we are in south Louisiana.. its hot and humid most days... But we have Tent camped so a Pop-Up with AC is a major upgrade. Do these stock Dometic A/Cs work well in pop-ups? I saw some information on the heat working well, but not sure about cooling?

I'm sure they have their issues... but like you said, all do.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
First pup? I'd save the money in case you find yourself moving to a different floorplan.
Yes first pup. We have had larger campers in the past, and have rented a Intech Flyer Explore recently. I think the 2 king beds and the 3rd bench bed is what we like about these pop-ups, as well as being able to stand up in them, and a emergency bathroom/shower. We just want something with some space, the ability to haul our toys(deck a must), and easy to pull on longer trips. Most of the pop-ups I have seen with a Deck have the same floorplan, but i could be wrong.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
we are in south Louisiana.. its hot and humid most days
Then you may want to go with the Fleetwood with the AC. I don't have one so I can't give you any specs. Living in the NE I just can't justify the added expense and weight on the roof/lift system for the few times I would use it each year. And I mostly dry camp.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
Yup, and Fleetwood discontinued their PopUp Camper division due to stupid business decisions. [LOL]

Yup, one of the best made IMHO after Coleman/Fleetwood. They just could build their dealer network fast enough to make a profit.
The things I read about Somerset vs the Fleetwood come down to the Deck, Frame, and material under the beds? May be more but, Somerset has expanded metal deck, 6" tubular frame, and uses coated PerformMax flooring under beds? those all upgrades from the Fleetwood correct?

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
Does anyone know what the lift system for the Fleetwood is? I also read the Somerset lift system utilizes separate cabling or something? They say if one breaks the whole thing doesnt come down just that side and other campers the whole top would fall? IDK how to verify that.

cowboiler

Oct 25, 2021
Oklahoma
So we are in south Louisiana.. its hot and humid most days... But we have Tent camped so a Pop-Up with AC is a major upgrade. Do these stock Dometic A/Cs work well in pop-ups? I saw some information on the heat working well, but not sure about cooling?

I have a stock Dometic 13,500 BTU AC in my popup, and it will cool it down 20 degrees in 30 minutes. It will get cold enough to make condensation on the canvas at night. We always run our on full blast because when camping, we're paying for electricity whether we use it or not, lol. So, yes Dometic's work well in pop-ups.

jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
If it was your money, which one would you pick and why?
To me, I ignore the part that says garage kept. I Learned the hard way many sellers put that hoping for a quick sale. Sure may be in the garage for a few months in winter but actually outside 85% of the time. Second I learned that layout and condition trump all. Look over those campers as if you are an inspector. Don't go in with rose colored glasses or you can miss some very critical problems. I would rather have a good layout and a better condition popup. Then the fancy stuff. Also AC was critical in my decision as it can get mighty hot in the summer. Sure it can be added after the fact assuming the roof was prepped for AC and doesn't have any underlying water damage that compromised the roof already. For me I do a lot of dry camping so the electric lift would be very nerve wracking if it was to fail or eat battery power up when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Just my opinion though.

jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Does anyone know what the lift system for the Fleetwood is?
Fleetwood uses a whiffletree system with separate lines to the lift arms from the central screw like thing. So yes, if one cable breaks only the one corner fails. The one piece door also helps support the roof as well. Check out colemanpopupparts they list manuals and at one time had diagrams you can utilize in your research.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
To me, I ignore the part that says garage kept. I Learned the hard way many sellers put that hoping for a quick sale. Sure may be in the garage for a few months in winter but actually outside 85% of the time. Second I learned that layout and condition trump all. Look over those campers as if you are an inspector. Don't go in with rose colored glasses or you can miss some very critical problems. I would rather have a good layout and a better condition popup. Then the fancy stuff. Also AC was critical in my decision as it can get mighty hot in the summer. Sure it can be added after the fact assuming the roof was prepped for AC and doesn't have any underlying water damage that compromised the roof already. For me I do a lot of dry camping so the electric lift would be very nerve wracking if it was to fail or eat battery power up when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Just my opinion though.
Both have AC just 2007 has an "Upgraded" which he thinks is 15,000 but im not sure what the Dometic is on the Somerset. Both have crank/manual lift systems, but the Somerset has power up as well.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
I'm Assuming they make kits to convert from manual crank to power up for the 2007 Fleetwood correct? Anyone have experience doing this?

Musictom

Gold Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2021

I put a Furrion 14.5K on the roof of my pup this spring. We took a 30 day trip in 100 degree weather this summer, and the AC was a godsend.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
@jmkay1 would you know if the Fleetwood is aluminum roof or filon? The owner is telling me it’s an all aluminum roof but it doesn’t look it from pictures or from what I’m reading about the 2007 year…