Where would you spend your money?!?

dreeveal

Jul 20, 2017
got the Somerset! It’s in great shape and everything works as intended. It’s much bigger than I thought but that’s a good thing. We camped in driveway Friday night and kids are super excited! Got so distracted I didn’t take pictures of it until today when it’s packed up in garage haha. Thanks again for all the advice.
That is super nice looking. It looks like the Batman version of my Fleetwood.

dreeveal

Jul 20, 2017
Just a couple of quick tips since it is new to you.

• Don't use the pop up motor when plugged into Shore Power, only use it off 12V, it could damage the motor. If you have Shore Power available, unplug from Shore Power, use the motor, then plug it back in and the Shore Power will recharge your batteries through the power converter.
  • If the motor fails or you simply want to hand crank to conserve your battery power while dry camping, make sure to unplug the motor from power while you hand crank. Having it connected to power engages the brake on the roof.
  • Get very familiar with what things run from what power source before you head out to dry camp. My poor nephew brought his family out last week dry camping and his wife killed the batteries within a few hours thinking she could run everything all the time. If this happens, plug the towing pigtail into your tow vehicle to get some temporary 12v power.

Last, Derek at Pop Up Parts knows your trailer inside and out - i'm sure there are some very insconsequential differences as it's a Somerset, but his videos are super helpful when owning a pop up for the first time, especially coleman/fleetwood/somerset. He also answers questions in his youtube comments pretty much all the time. He is simply awesome:

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
I own a Fleetwood Evolution E3 and my boss has the Somerset. I think this was a pretty even toss up, but I still think you made the right choice. Both are built well, especially for a pop up. Unfortunately the roof on pretty much every fleetwood E3 will need to be addressed within the first 5-10 years (mine was done with Rhinoliner). You had the extra money with the Fleetwood to do all the necessary upgrades, but then you would have had a much older trailer and you would have had to spent a lot of time getting it all done. You can't be sure when the tires/brakes/bearings have been done. You can't be sure if the water heater had been properly cared for. Not sure when the detectors have been replaced, the propane regulator, when the cables have been greased, etc., etc., etc. Having the awning and pop up motor are huge positives. So yeah, I think you made the right call, but couldn't have really made the wrong call. these trailers are fun, and with the deck on front, it opens up a lot of great options to haul a scooter, a couple of dirt bikes, an ATV (it's too small for a side by side unfortunately :)).

Have a great time with your new trailer!
Your points are the exact things that i thought about for sure! With 2 young kids, i really didnt have time to put into major repairs right now. I understand i will need to do things on the Somerset in the future, but being 12 years newer, im hoping it will be awhile before that happens. Thanks a lot!

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
Just a couple of quick tips since it is new to you.

• Don't use the pop up motor when plugged into Shore Power, only use it off 12V, it could damage the motor. If you have Shore Power available, unplug from Shore Power, use the motor, then plug it back in and the Shore Power will recharge your batteries through the power converter.
  • If the motor fails or you simply want to hand crank to conserve your battery power while dry camping, make sure to unplug the motor from power while you hand crank. Having it connected to power engages the brake on the roof.
  • Get very familiar with what things run from what power source before you head out to dry camp. My poor nephew brought his family out last week dry camping and his wife killed the batteries within a few hours thinking she could run everything all the time. If this happens, plug the towing pigtail into your tow vehicle to get some temporary 12v power.

Last, Derek at Pop Up Parts knows your trailer inside and out - i'm sure there are some very insconsequential differences as it's a Somerset, but his videos are super helpful when owning a pop up for the first time, especially coleman/fleetwood/somerset. He also answers questions in his youtube comments pretty much all the time. He is simply awesome:

wow thats great information that I didnt know!! thank you!!!