Which bunk is better to sleep on?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by JeepMama, Jul 20, 2011.

1. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Do you and you spouse sleep on the front bunk or the back bunk?

Our pop up will have two double sized bunks and one twin dinette... Is it better to have the heavier weight on one end or the other?

I am thinking I might like to have the whole bunk to myself, the other one for Peter and let the our boys snuggle together on the dinette bed... But I might end up having to share with Peter or the little one...

2. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

For us it's the front bunk.....but only because it is the King size. Our other bunk end is a queen and we have a double goucho and the dinette single.

Having all of the weight on one end shouldn't matter if you are level, chocked, and stabalizers are down. I think the bigger issue would be overall comfort. DW and I occasionally have to share a double bed when we've had a little too much fun at our friends house and need to crash for the night.....it get's pretty snug and generally we like to have a bit of space when sleeping.

3. papachaz

papachaz New Member

i'm with cwolf - when we camp alone, we take the front bunk, because it's the queen, the rear is just a double. as for weight distribution, i'm thinking he hit it dead on, if you're level, and stabilizers are down, it won't matter. if you don't put the rear stabs down, you get to play teeter totter.... [LOL]

4. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

DH and I both sleep on king bunk, the bunk over the tongue. the other bunk is a queen. we are not small people and have never had an issue with weight all being on one bunk.
    its not a boat =)

5. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Thanks for the answers... I guess it was a newbie question. The only pop ups I have ever been in were set up at dealerships and quite wobbly.

6. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

We use the back bunk because it's on the opposite side from the shower/potty.

7. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

We do separate bunks ... the whole thing to yourself and your "stuff" - plus I get up more often in the night to go out and look at the stars and so this way there's less disturbance. If alone, I'll take the one that's away from road noise noise, or a closer site, I want peace & quiet. For example, this is my kind of site and I take the bunk end back toward the woods.

[​IMG]

For whatever it's worth, I do believe with my Starcrafts, the front bunk is the stronger ... more support bars.

8. RonB

RonB New Member

Our Niagara has Kings on both ends. We started using the rear bunk because it it closer to the potti-room. The tongue end seems pretty much identical except you step up on a bench to get into it. There is also a ceiling clothes hanger there that kinda closes access in.

9. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We have kings on both ends, but with the goucho toward the hitch side it makes it harder to get into so we sleep on the bumper side.

10. capsfloyd

capsfloyd New Member

both ends on bayside are king, when its just us 2 we sleep over the tongue . Closer to the door and sink .

11. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

In my starcraft 24 I set the table on the back bunk in the driveway while doing some repairs , and myself and my kids were all in the back together and up we went , lol pop a wheelie and came back down , I sleep over the hitch

12. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

Our front bunk is a queen--the back is only a double. Also, we have a cassette toilet\shower combo that is next to the front bunk. The privacy curtain there turns the front bunk into what we laughingly call the "master suite". The back bunk is closest to the galley, so gets used for temporary storage of "cooking stuff" if we're alone for the trip.

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We sleep on separate bunks just because we can. We may have to share in Sept. when some of the grown kids and grandkids come with us.

I would guess it's better to put the heavier weight on the hitch end. I'm only saying that because that's usually where the larger bed is, if there is one.

14. RangerBill

RangerBill New Member

Both of ours are king beds. We sleep in the rear bed for two reasons: 1) most sites are "back in" so we're further away from lights/traffic a night; and 2) we replaced the mattress in the front bed with indoor/outdoor carpeting and use it as an extended kitchen area near the sink and stove.

15. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

We have 2 kings. We sleep on the one that will give us the best view, when we unzip 'a flap' in the morning. Love that........ :)

16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

It's the front bunk for us, only because it's a queen size. The back bunk is a double and the DS uses that one.

17. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I'm with you Hawkester!! I sleep on the rear Queen bed ONLY because the front King also has the gaucho couch and with my weak knees, I don't want to take the chance of a C&B!

I saw a few mention one end or the other having more support poles....both bunks on mine have the same supports...2 single bars and 2 slider bars on each end. So I'm not worried about weight so much...just the convenience.
    [:D]

18. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

2 Kings. DW and I sleep on the front. The rear sofa makes it easier to get in the bunk for DD even though her brother likes to sleep on the sofa. I like the front because it's closer to the front door.

19. Camper_Dave

Camper_Dave New Member

We sleep on the front because DD's crib is on the dinette bed. The back bunk is a lot closer to her so and we figured to avoid waking her up after we come in at night we'd take the front.

Last year we slept on back. I can't tell the difference other than the back doesn't have a bench in front.

20. monica4patience

monica4patience New Member

DH and I sleep on the front King bunk. DS19 and DS11 sleep on the rear Queen bed. Grandma sleeps on the couch folded down. We had rented campers for a few years, and borrowed both my brother's camper and DH's brother's camper. So, we had lots of experience with what worked best for our particular family. No camper where you had to jump over a couch or table to get into bed. We're just too old for that (56 & 59)! We needed lots of aisle room for DS19 who is a bit clumsy.

I just wish our PUP had 2 King bunks. That way both boys could sleep head-in and not bother each other. We could even have put a curtain down the middle on the shepherd's pole. But this is working good for us. It actually worked that way for a few years until DS11 got too tall, needed an adult size sleeping bag which kept falling in Grandma's face! We had put a cushion on the cupboard to make the right side of the bed longer for the older boy.