Which "Foam Factory" is better?

Jun 1, 2015
We are looking to upgrade mattresses in our pop up and I found some great posts about new mattresses here and people having a positive experience with buying from Foan Factory. I found three websites. Two seem to be almost identical. All three have some of the same stock photos so they must be selling some of the same product. Is one better than the other? The three websites are foambymail.com, thefoamfactory.com, usafoam.com.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Our stock mattress was crap. Not even futon-worthy.

We had recently purchased bedroom furniture for our house. One of the drawers arrived cracked and the salesguy/deliveryguy/owner's-son guy took it home to repair it. Nice kid. He called me while I was camping (close by, luckily) and said I could come pick it up.
So I went.
I got there, got the drawer, and he asked, "do you need anything else?"
I said, "I'd really love a residential queen mattress, memory foam, but only 6" thick."
He looked at me like I was magic, a mind reader, his jaw dropped.
He said, "you know I told you about the supply chain, the shortages, the waits? Yes? Well today I got a truck, a delivery. The truck backed up and there was only one box, only one on the truck. That big truck for only one box. And do you know what was in that box?"
He went in back of his office and dragged out a box. It was a 6" queen memory foam mattress. I forget the brand but the retail was $300 and he sold it to me for $250. Because I was magic.
It's really really comfortable. Love that mattress.

Jun 1, 2015
Our stock mattress was crap. Not even futon-worthy.

We had recently purchased bedroom furniture for our house. One of the drawers arrived cracked and the salesguy/deliveryguy/owner's-son guy took it home to repair it. Nice kid. He called me while I was camping (close by, luckily) and said I could come pick it up.
So I went.
I got there, got the drawer, and he asked, "do you need anything else?"
I said, "I'd really love a residential queen mattress, memory foam, but only 6" thick."
He looked at me like I was magic, a mind reader, his jaw dropped.
He said, "you know I told you about the supply chain, the shortages, the waits? Yes? Well today I got a truck, a delivery. The truck backed up and there was only one box, only one on the truck. That big truck for only one box. And do you know what was in that box?"
He went in back of his office and dragged out a box. It was a 6" queen memory foam mattress. I forget the brand but the retail was $300 and he sold it to me for $250. Because I was magic.
It's really really comfortable. Love that mattress.
That's awesome that you got what you needed! Not sure how that helps me.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
That's awesome that you got what you needed! Not sure how that helps me.
Go to a furniture store. See what they've got.

Mine didn't stink. I saw the Amazon reviews and that was a thing that scared me about ordering online. Getting a foam mattress back in the box is like a Genie in a Bottle thing. Buying local mitigated the risk.

Zephyr

Jun 18, 2013
central Oregon
we used thefoamfactory.com and were very satisfied. We went with the denser foam (I think they call it lux) and then added a memory foam topper from a local big box store. You can check prices, but it's usually cheaper to order a standard sized mattress and cut it down than to order a custom size. Foam is easily cut with a bread knife and a long straight edge (we used a piece of plywood).

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Do an empty tissue box test to measure how much room you have between the bed and roof when it’s closed. That way you know how many inches you can get without causing issues with the closing process. Every camper is different so you can’t judge by what someone else bought.

bluespruce

Jul 6, 2011
To answer your original question, I think they are all the same company. We bought from thefoamfactory multiple times. If you check physical addresses of the business I think they are all Macomb Michigan.

I’m not sure why they would have multiple websites.

Jun 1, 2015
To answer your original question, I think they are all the same company. We bought from thefoamfactory multiple times. If you check physical addresses of the business I think they are all Macomb Michigan.

I’m not sure why they would have multiple websites.
LOL LOL LMAO!!!! All three websites have the SAME PHONE NUMBER!!! I guess I should have looked closer. Thanks for your answers everyone!

Jul 20, 2014
I can make no recommendation, because I've not yet purchased replacement mattresses. We're trying the interlocking foam pads underneath first (much less out of pocket!).

However, I was browsing on Slumberland the other day, and saw that they have camper mattresses. The wait time is significant, but you might want to check with them as well.

brettstoner

Jun 17, 2014
Toledo, OH
LOL LOL LMAO!!!! All three websites have the SAME PHONE NUMBER!!! I guess I should have looked closer. Thanks for your answers everyone!
Yep. They are all the same company. I have placed about a half dozen orders from them over the years. I am only about an hour away so I usually get it next day. For my camper mattresses I went with 1 inch layer of firm foam, 2 inch layer of medium foam, 2 inch layer of latex, and their custom made mattress cover. Highly recommend! Feels just like my mattress at home. I actually use their latex topper at home as well. If I had the room I would have bumped up the firm layer to get it to 2 inches for each layer and a 6 inch total mattress. I think that would be the perfect mattress if if isn't too tall. I also prefer latex over memory foam. It doesn't sleep hot like memory foam. If you used memory foam you would probably need to go to 4" of firm foam so you don't bottom out.

geoffm3

Jun 21, 2010
There’s one in Knoxville that seems fairy popular. No personal experience with them though.

GRCOLS

Dec 15, 2020
we bought from foambymail.com, i think it is all the same. I have been very happy with the custom mattresses so far.

Brian Clancy

Aug 23, 2021
Yes, they are all the same Foam Factory. We ordered the LUX foam with Fibrefill Wrap to replace all cushions on our Viking PUP. High quality, restored comfort and support, easily done in just a few hours. We did dinette seats and cushions plus gaucho seat and cushion. Would easily work for beds, but as others stated, be careful of the thickness for proper PUP closure. We actually use the original mattresses with XL camping bedroll air mattresses (x2) from Amazon Basics. We leave them inflated all summer and remove in the Fall. I think I sleep better than on my bed at home...

DiDi S

Jun 3, 2020
Lehigh Valley, PA
I've purchased from Foam Factory many times. Their customer service is very helpful. If you call, they will help you choose the best option for your project.

Meldew

Sep 27, 2021
Georgia
I ordered foam from them to redo my dinette…. Still haven’t gotten to it but happy w the foam. For mattresses, I ordered Linenspa 5” gel memory foam mattress from Amazon. Very comfortable.

ccgro

Feb 8, 2014
We are looking to upgrade mattresses in our pop up and I found some great posts about new mattresses here and people having a positive experience with buying from Foan Factory. I found three websites. Two seem to be almost identical. All three have some of the same stock photos so they must be selling some of the same product. Is one better than the other? The three websites are foambymail.com, thefoamfactory.com, usafoam.com.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I ordered from t he foam factory located in Macomb Michigan. Happy with my purchase. Lux foam

Rhonda.hearrell

Apr 29, 2022
SC
Great info on mattresses! Thanks for sharing. My issue with the camper mattress in our Rockwood hard side pop up is that it is a little too wide to make accessing the under-the-bed storage. I was considering ordering a foam mattress cut down a couple of inches on the width. Any thoughts?

cozwurth

Sep 8, 2010
I'll add myself to the list of satisfied foamfactory customers. I bought foam from them to do all of the cushions in my Rancho camper. Someone else already mentioned about buying one or two large pieces and cutting it to size yourself. MUCH less expensive that way, about half the cost, IIRC. I used an electric carving knife to cut mine. Like a hot knife through butter.

Rcjone70

Apr 18, 2016
Rcjone70
We bought a Coleman TT and the mattress was horrible, not much better than sleeping on a bare board! We bought a 4” foam topper at Sam’s and placed it on the original mattress, but I had trouble turning over because I sank too deep into the topper. We decided to place the topper on the bottom and the original mattress on top and this has worked well for us. Enough cushioning so we didn’t feel the bedboard, and enough firmness so we didn’t sink down. Good luck on finding what works for you.

brettstoner

Jun 17, 2014
Toledo, OH
Great info on mattresses! Thanks for sharing. My issue with the camper mattress in our Rockwood hard side pop up is that it is a little too wide to make accessing the under-the-bed storage. I was considering ordering a foam mattress cut down a couple of inches on the width. Any thoughts?
That is what I did. I ordered king and queen size foam, glued the layers together, then cut them to size. It was much cheaper then ordering the exact size custom cut. The foam cuts easy with a knife.