Which Gizmo's to get?

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by jshulenberger, Jun 24, 2011.

1. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

I would like to get some Popup Gizmos, but I'm not sure which ones to get. I would like to have them Velcro on to the top edge of the roofline, and be able to leave them mostly in place when I fold up the pup.

It seems the Super High Wind units may not work well for that with the extra straps. Has anyone tried this with their pup, and have any suggestions? Am I just kidding myself with this idea?

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

When I had my Yuma I got the High Wind version because the Super High Wind version wasn't out yet. Get the Super High Wind version. Sooner or later there will come a time when you will be glad you did. (My High Wind Gizmos were completely stripped off my PUP in a huge windstorm in Death Valley last year.) As for the Velcro, to the best of my knowledge that is not an available feature from the seller. It is a mod many people install themselves. I left the Gizmos on when folding the PUP but I had to take the clips off to do that. I think it should be OK to fold up with the SHW version if you disconnect the straps.

3. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

From what I can tell, each level was the new and improved version over the last one. Why not get the version that is the latest and greatest. Like UT said, sooner or later you are going to wish you had it.

Personally I don't have gizmos yet because I hope to get a new camper in 2 years. When I do get a new camper, I will be getting the SHW gizmos.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Don't worry about leaving them on. Note how in the photo below the straps are just hanging from the Gizmo. Now just picture that at take-down you can toss the lines into the center of the Gizmos and put them away like that.

5. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Why didn't I think of that, leaving them on while folding it up! Thanks for the advice as that will save a few minutes setting up and tearing down.

When I ordered my Gizmos Bob put velcro on them for an additional $10, well worth it imo.

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I've seen mods where people first attach them to the roof lid with Velcro and then roll up the Gizmos to store them between the canvas and the roof lid.

7. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Super High Wiind is the way to go!

8. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

The SHW weren't out when I purchased my second set either and after this past week camping at http://lastchancecampground.com the HW PUGs wouldn't even stay on with 7 clips down each side and the ends velcroed to the roof and the bungees stretched tight up under the bunkend!! The winds were that strong!! Only had problems with the bunkend facing the south, the rest stayed in place.

My [2C] would be to purchase the SHW. Mother Nature is pretty much unpredictable and winds can come out of no where. Better to be prepared than have to chase down your PUG's across an open field as they fly away.

9. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

I bought the high wind model about 1 1/2 ago. I modified mine with grommets and bungee cords. Had some really good winds along the Colorado River and nothing moved. AZ [8D]

[​IMG]

10. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I finally called to see if Bob has my PUP's measurements on file (like he requests to save us time!), and wouldn't you know he's on vacation! [LOL] Just my luck. But everyone needs that getaway! [PU] [TV]

I look forward to his call on Monday so I can order my Gizmos!

[:D]

11. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Does his vacation message say "I'm out camping" [LOL]

12. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

....don't think so Matt! [LOL]

But even closed, Bob took the time to email me this morning to let me know he has my Pup's measurements already!

Convenient AND 'ghost' service too! [:O] [LOL]

[:D]

13. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

Thanks all! I have ordered the SHW version with the additional Velcro from Bob. He's back from vacation, and catching up.

14. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Is it even necessary to roll them up? I think I'll try stuffing mine in with the canvas and leave the velcro strip attached to the mating roof velcro.

15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

No, it's not necessary, I just thought I would put that option out there.