Which GPS to buy?

mschepac

South Jersey
Apr 22, 2008
South Jersey
Hi all,
I have been considering getting a GPS for geocaching. I got a little Christmas money available and thought it would be fun to do with the kiddies. I am looking for some recommendations for a decent unit to buy. I don't want to spend $200 for a unit but I don't want junk either. Something with a map and reverse directions maybe something that I could use in the car for turn by turn also. Any suggestions?
ms

adamteja

Aug 17, 2009
Alpharetta, GA
I have a Garmin 60csx... love it. works great for geocaching. a bit more than $200, though... more like $300. I had an etrex legend, it was junk, couldnt get a signal under the trees. I think Garmin has upgraded the chips though. I THINK the newer chip is SirfStar3.

rjniles

Super Active Member
Aug 7, 2009
Georgetown SC
Bought a Garmin 265wt for $170 + tax at Radio Shack. 4.7" screen, text to voice, turn by turn directions. Works great.

Also has Bluetooth that lets me use my cell phone hands free. This is a great feature and the way state laws are changing it will probably be the only way you can legally use a phone while driving.

jtuc1

Northeast Alabama
Sep 3, 2007
I have a Garmin GPSmap76. I recommend it thoroughly. It has a bigger screen than some of the other units in its price range. The screen is not in color. This is not important to me, and makes it cost less. It is water proof. That is a biggie to me because I use mine while kayaking. It leaves a bread crumb trail as you hike so you can easily follow your route back to the car. This feature has saved me from getting lost before. I bought mine used on eBay. I gave about $75.00 for it. I can also hook it up to the computer, and map out a route and use it in the car to find my way on trips. It does not give turn by turn driving directions though, so it is not as good for this as say a Tomtom would be. Good luck on your selection. Hope this helps.

mschepac

South Jersey
Apr 22, 2008
South Jersey
I ended up going with the Garmin Venture HC. It was a relatively low cost unit. Seems to work just fine for Geo. Not roadworthy though. I will just use my car GPS to get us close.
ms

stefbauer

Sep 1, 2009
VA
Depending on the age of the kids... I >>LOVE<< the geomate jr. To be clear it does not have a map, but is a solid, well built, rugged, and most importantly accurate unit. My 7 year old does GREAT with it, and it has enough features to make it a good quality unit.... and the price is low enough that I can give it to a 7 year old and not worry about it.

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
etrex and garmin are the 2 main handheld based GPS setups that I would recommend... I also use a car/driving GPS that is Garmin as well and never had a problem

14erfam

Oct 12, 2008
I picked up a Delorme PN30 on clearance at REI. It came with a world base map- and topos of the entire US. The software has been a little tricky to learn, but very powerful, stays locked to the satellites, and great geocache features!

Hawkester

Hawkesnest
May 23, 2008
SE Wisconsin
If you are trying to stay under $200 then you will have a hard time finding a unit that will Geo and turn by turn.

I have been pondering the same issue as you have (what to do with my Christmas money) but I already have the car GPS so I need a good GEO GPS. I like the Garmins, and until adamteja's comment I haven't found any negative reviews. have borrowed the eTrex Legend HCx and have had good hunts with that.

The eTrex is what I will most likely get, though I will opt for the more pricey Legend/Vista HCx model due to better signal strength. They will run you around $225 - $275.

I will end up buying mine new as I have had nothing but bad luck on ebay or creigs, I know a lot of people who have used those sites and done well, but for some reason when I use them I loose!

PMEDIC9

Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
[:)C] i HAVE A GARMIN 60csx AND USED IT SNOWMOBILING IN MAINE LAST WEEK IT WAS IN MY COAT POCKET THROUGH 200 MILES OF RIDING WHEN I WENT HOME I UPLOADED MY TRACKS TO MY COMPUTER IT DIDN'T MISS ANYTHING I WAS ABLE TO SEE EXACTLY WERE WE RODE IN THE WOODS. THEREFORE I RECOMMEND GARMIN 60CSX. [2C]

Wizfisher

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2009
I found the Delorme PN-40 on Amazon for $257, with free shipping and no tax. Came with a basemap of the U.S. (and Mexico and Canada I think), and downloadable maps of every state (Topo 8.0).

I know it's a little over the $200 originally mentioned but well worth it at that price. It does turn by turn, has an elec. compass, and altimiter, and has a lot of great geo-caching abilities (paperless).

I also had it in my jacket over the last few days while geo-caching through a local State Park and it never lost contact with the satellites. Don't know how they do that to be honest with you, lol.

14erfam

Oct 12, 2008
Hey Wiz, I've had a blast with my PN30 so far too! Picked up for 165$ but does not have electronic compass or barometric altimeter. Other than that, I think its a lot like your 40. The GPS itself is really eay to use. I'm still in the process of learning the software though.