which of these two batteries has more amp hours?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by ShaneSD, Oct 26, 2021.

1. ShaneSD

ShaneSD New Member

Those are the specs. Do you have any data to the contrary? 101AH, and 50% is usable. so ~50AH ea.

2. ShaneSD

ShaneSD New Member

I do need to get a clamp on ammeter, which I don't have now. The solar kit I can chalk up to tuition if it doesn't work much. someday I imagine I'll build a robust solar system to solve some sort of problem, so why not start with a $180 kit from harbor freight.

this is the kit if anyone is interested:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html?_br_psugg_q=solar+panel+kit

Seems like batteries are a sensitive subject. I'll try to post some updates with my results.

3. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

You can just use a volt meter as well. Just measure every hour with the heater on, and check the voltage drop. There are charts out there. Lead acid is pretty linear and so this works pretty well.
    I'm guessing most people's concern are whether it's a typo by Walmart. Not uncommon. But if you have the battery already, the label will tell you ,and that should not be in error.
    Most 24 sized is between 70-85ah. 27's often go to to 105. I guess the contradiction is how they packaged the capacity of a 27 into the size of a 24....

4. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

The 6v golf cart batteries have a significant amount of capacity over a group 24 battery (think double capacity and better built). But you do have to wire in series to get 12v. Most serious boondockers use 6v batteries wired in series or a LiFePO4 battery.

5. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

My group 29 is 121 Ah…. I agree a 101ah group 24 doesn’t sound right.

However since you are only going to be able to use 50% of the rated capacity, the difference in usable ah is on about 10 ah.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  6. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Thus the lifepo4 debate. I can run em down fully without too much detrimental effect. Mine are smaller though, total ah around 60. Saves me 40 lbs though. I do things very backwards though, fridge and food never stay in the camper always in the TV . Camper get a 24 just for lights and stuff.

7. Tsaint777

Tsaint777 New Member

Just converted to Liyium 12Volt 100 ah. Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are 99 percent efficient and offer a much higher usable capacity at the same Amp-Hour (AH) rating. Lithium-ion technology commonly provides 20-50 percent more usable capacity and operational time depending on the discharge current. This allows you to substitute your lead acid battery with a much smaller battery with less weight. Plus it doesn't matter if you discharge completely, it is even recommended. They also recharge faster lead acid

8. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

The only serious and real issue is cold weather. Cold temps seriously diminishes and can damage lithium batteries.

Karey likes this.
  9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

aH can be measured differently. We might be familiar with the 20 hour version.
    129 ah for G29 ain't the 20 hour ah capacity!
    From days of yore, JCIs spread sheet of capacity based on discharge rate.
    Please note this is dated 2004, note 2 different sized deep cycle G24s & G27s
    A G24 with 100ah usually has '@ 1 amp' in the fine print.

batt1.jpg