Which oven?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by dbhost, Aug 1, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Dumb question, but if you had to chose to take EITHER a dutch oven on your family camping trip, OR a Coleman folding camp stove oven, which would you chose and why?

To make the detail a bit more specific, the Coleman camp oven does have the baking stone and an insulating jacket made from a welding blanket added to it so it does cook really well...

I honestly don't want to bring both, but they both have advantages and disadvantages.

The Coleman is kind of a one trick pony, it bakes. Period.

The Dutch oven does a lot more, bakes, boils, fries, sautees, roasts, etc...

The Coleman is a LOT easier to use.

The dutch oven can take advantage of the camp fire easily.

The Coleman can be used should rain, which seems to happen a lot we camp, or even burn bans, from having a fire, or charcoal.

Ugh...

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Personally I choose a Dutch oven because it is so versatile and easier to pack. Well my 10qt one is. I bought a valcano tent to keep coals regulated if it's windy, cold, or raining. Then again I'm always of the believe that the best camping gear are ones that serve multiple uses. Now, if you do encounter a burn ban and you really want to bake, then yeah the propane oven may be your best bet. Just my [2C]

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For us, Coleman wins, since we never have a fire; we often encounter fire bans anyway. I'm planning on taking the Coleman this fall, as well as the Omnia oven, also a top of stove oven. It's a bit smaller, being ring pan based, but we could use it on the inside stove if we really wanted/needed to bake in windy or otherwise bad conditions, which I would not do with the Coleman in our small space.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have the Camp Chief Over.

5. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

My Coleman camp oven is permanently stored in it's box, folded flat, with a 1/2" thick steel plate for heat regulation on top of it, under one of the dinette seats, it goes with us every trip. Under one of the other dinette seats, is a 10" dutch oven, it also goes with us every trip. Larger dutch ovens are invited along on an 'as needed' basis, usually in the back of my TV. Both take up so little space, I wouldn't think taking both would be a dealbreaker...if nothing else, the folding camp oven should slip under most TV seats.....

Dusty road likes this.
  6. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

We've yet to actually use an oven when we go camping..although we've looked at the coleman oven. Didn't think it would be super effective and most things can be cooked in a pan or on the grille. We also find ourselves not having fires as they are not allowed or we get back to camp too late anyway. Would love to see the options that people have in this thread. Seems like most go with the dutch oven though.

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I've never used a Coleman oven. I've thought about an Omnia, mainly because it can be used indoors in bad weather, but haven't made the move. I use a DO, 10 or 12 inch depending on what I'm cooking. Always carry charcoal, mainly for convenience because we don't do campfires. Contained charcoal is allowed in some parks that don't allow campfires and during most burn bans. But the need for the charcoal, a chimney and other utensils that wouldn't otherwise be needed does take up some storage space.

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Dutch Oven is much more useful, but does a folding oven take too much space to bring "just in case"??

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Do you have weight or space issues? If not, bring both. I have both myself, although most of my camping is either solo or with my son these days. The DO makes way too much food for us, so it doesn't get used very often. I use it more to do potatoes so I can use the leftovers in the morning with a breakfast scramble. We never do a campfire, and if I am planning on using the DO that means a chimney and charcoal need to get packed as well, along with my cooking pans that it sits in.

Last year I picked up a Camp Chef oven at a garage sale, and so far I have been pretty impressed with it. I need to get a stone for the bottom to help even out the heating, but I am thinking it will be a pretty frequent part of my normal gear, replacing my small convection toaster oven.

10. ReGuLtr

ReGuLtr New Member

If you brought both, would it eliminate having to bring other kitchen tools like frying pans?? I love the Coleman oven because it's easy to use and cleaning cast iron is kind of a pain when camping and we camp to relax. With the Coleman oven I can fix something in a disposable aluminum baking pan and toss it when we're done, easy peasy!!

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have an Omnia (small wonderpot) for my truck camper (no space on that cooktop for the Coleman) and a real oven in my popup. I don't mess with charcoal or campfire cooking. The cast iron dutch oven gets used at home, though.

12. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

If I bring the DO, I "can" cook in the DO over the stove, a bit tricky, but doable. Eliminates me needing to bring at the very least the family cook kit which has the stock pot I use to boil pasta in. However tomato sauces and cast iron aren't friendly with each other...

I know I CAN get a lot more use out of the Dutch Oven, the question is, will I?

13. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Problem solved via reorganizing things. I added a Camp Chef Dutch Oven bag, and used the empty void in the DO for carrying my "kitchen smalls". Thus eliminating the plastic kitchen smalls box I was using and buying back the space...

This still means I am most likely going to overload the Malibu with the cast iron cookware, but oh well... Won't be doing that too terribly long, I hope and pray.