Which Pop-Up Gizmo to buy?

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by HappyFamily, Jun 9, 2014.

1. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

We have decided to get the Gizmos!

DH and I love the idea, but can't decide on which option to buy. I searched the older threads and looked up a few youtube videos about them,but I am still uncertain the specific differences between the standard,high wind and super-high wind.

We live in Michigan and except for an occasional strong thunderstorm, it rarely gets super windy. To be honest, if it got real windy we would pack up and come home. I also read that you can get extra velcro added. Would that be wise for my 2001 Coleman Fleetwood Sedona?

We start to camp early in the spring but never in winter. We will be camping in July/August when it gets hot. This is the main reason we would like the Gizmos.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Do you know if they combine shipping if you order the bunk end covers too? Those would have been nice when we camped this Spring.

I want to buy these ASAP but need a little input before I call. Thank you for any help. Pictures would be great too if you can include those! :)

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

High wind with Velcro ............

3. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I say the super high wind with Velcro. The Velcro, if you put the other side under the lip of the roof, makes them easier to put on and they can stay on. The bungees are just easier IMO so you don't have to mess with clips, although it still comes with them. I had to get the fuzzy side of the Velcro put on by a local canvas shop. I forgot to bring mine, once, and decided I didn't want to have to take them off so I wouldn't forget again.

My iPhone did this

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Definitely get the Super High Wind with Velcro. You'll be glad you did.

5. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Best to call the gizmoman and explain your needs. [8D]

The liners are also a winner. :)

6. Ryanincc

You can also do a ring mod, where you use a ring for each side to clip all the bungees to and either hook the two rings together or put a lashing hook underneath the bunk to hook them to. Just saves you from having to hook them all together each time and keeps them from tangling up.[​IMG]
    I first did this then decided it was too hard clipping them together and went with the lash hooks closer to the sides. PUGs are a must have.

My iPhone did this

7. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

Yay a picture!!! These comments are great too. More more more!

8. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

We used our super high wind gizmos this past week. We opted to get the super high wind because the difference in price wasn't that great and I was only going to do it once. Well worth the money... Made a huge difference in our comfort.... And was easy to put on. I'm pushing 60(yuck) and put them on by myself.

9. BALTIBCAMPER

BALTIBCAMPER Member

We got the super high wind gizmos. We don't use the strings and clips that came with it much anymore went to harbor freight tools and got some bigger and better clips. They work great!

10. gruss

gruss Active Member

SHW and don't worry about Velcro not being stitched on, the 2" wide 3M stuff I stuck on mine seems to hold them in place ok, once the roof is up they're pinched in.

My take on the ring mod, found "s-biners" at Menards, some knockoff but worked great for this. Some day I'll be bored and remove the clips that came with the PUGS and just tie directly to the clips I bought.
    [​IMG]

11. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Michigan here also. I currently have the High Wind version, and have had the 'regular' version. Get the Super High Wind version with Velcro, if for no other reason than the ease of installation and fewer steps - You don't have to clip the side edges. You will be amazed at how much warmer and cooler the pup will be because of the Gizmos.
    We also have, and use, the bunk end liners when the weather gets colder. They do help extend the season in a pup.
    Good luck and enjoy!

PS - you can get the inside of the Gizmos and liners in almost any color you want. Camo, green, blue, pink. Just ask Bob when you order what he has today! [:D]

12. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Super high wind is the only way to go....in some bad storms yesterday and the gizmos made it through!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

13. Ryanincc

I highly suggest NOT to use any kind of adhesives to attach the velcro. Guess how I know lol. And Bob, the owner at PUGs said not to as well.

14. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

We are getting ready to purchase a set as well, we are going with the super high wind model. I like the Velcro and the additional supports it looks to have. One less thing to worry about. [2C]

15. Ryanincc

That had me curious so I called Bob. He said thats no longer an option [:(]

16. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

He said thats no longer an option [:(]

Bummer. I was able to get a blue that is close to the tent bottom color. (I was thing about the camo . . . [:D] )

17. capy235co

capy235co Member

We have a Coleman Sedona as well and ordered the Super high wind with velcro. We are very happy with our choice. Highly recomend them!

18. gruss

gruss Active Member

I'm not good at guessing [LOL] what happened to them? The wife can always run them through the sewing machine if it's going to be an issue down the road. I wasn't worried about it since the velcro is only supporting them as the roof goes up, they're tight between the roof and canvas once set up. Mine are second hand, had I ordered I was gonna have it stitched but a deal I couldn't pass up happened.

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The few times we have tried using adhesive Velcro, it has let go after a while (often not long) , leaving behind goo. Adhesive Velcro, or the left-over goo cannot be sewn through by machine, and I would not suggest trying it my hand, The needle and thread will severely gum up, almost immediately.
    On our previous pup, the PUG was tight between roof edge and (vinyl) bunk end roof; it is not tight enough to hold the PUG across the width of the pup.

20. gruss

gruss Active Member

Hmmm I'll have to check it out next time we open it up. Mine are tight when popped up, like when I gave them a tug they didn't budge tight (before velcro) and was worried they'd fail where they're pinched before I was worried about the Velcro. The Velcro I have hasn't fallen off of anything yet? I have some garden tools and stuff that have been hanging in the shed for 3 years now.