Which state has best camping spots?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Halford, Jun 14, 2013.

Pick one you think has the best campgrounds.

1. California

9.7%
  2. Alaska

3.2%
  3. Georgia

3.2%
  4. North Carolina

4.8%
  5. Arizonia

3.2%
  6. other

75.8%
  1. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

All fifty states. They all have something to offer.

2. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Where is Arizonia? [:D]

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I'm not sure...

4. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

For as much as I love Alaska, PA and Colorado I'm bias toward the 12mth camping down here in Sunny Florida. From the beaches to the springs to the keys to Micky's world we even have hills.

Doc

Yes, I'm bias.

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I would Love Florida more with Mountains [8D]

6. scubacamper

Fmb,

I'm with you on that one. I get my fix by going up to visit the family at our estate in central PA. My wife isn't big on mountains (pun intended) as her family is primarily from NB, MT and southern CA. But I grew up around small cold trout streams, tall pines and rock outcroppings that hold everything from 18th century artifacts to fossils to rattle snakes. I'll someday be buried back up there on the family estate in view of the valley below. My wife wants to be cremated though some of her ashes will remain beside me for our DD's to visit in years ahead.

Doc

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I have only PUP camped in AZ, CA, CO, NV and UT. During summer, 100+ heat is the norm in Southern Utah. Best CG is one at 8,000 feet or so for cooler weather and plenty of shade. Winter, lower elevation AZ or SOCAL is ideal. Also, scenic beauty and attractions are important. Eventually, I would love to experience CGs in other states, especially out West.

8. EK41

EK41 Member

Any thing in the west is great. No humidity and very few bugs compared to the rest of the country.

9. tlewis24

tlewis24 New Member

Most of the campgrounds here in Alaska are basic. You'll find potable water & dump stations, and that's about it (At $10.00 a night, it's hard to complain). If you want other amenities (water / power hookups) you'll have to stay in the cities.

You will find that if you are willing to leave the pavement behind and venture out, you will see some of the best Alaska has to offer. Might I suggest heading west on the Denali Highway (It's a glorified Dirt Road) for some spectacular views, great fishing, and few if any other motorists.

10. scubacamper

I'm a little partial to Kodiak Island as I visited there while I awaited orders to Adak.

11. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

Whichever state it's not raining every weekend.......so that leaves Wisconsin out. [:(]

12. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Texas, Arkansas and Florida

13. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I have always been fond of camping in the state of Euphoria sure beats the heck out of the catatonic state [:D]

14. ShackDiva

ShackDiva New Member

Utah for me!

15. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I am going to have to say "ALL OF THEM" :) why you ask because almost every state has something different to offer. I have been from one side of this country to the other. Some state have 3 or 4 different types of environments in them. You can go from the mountains of North Carolina to the beaches of North Carolina and they are going to be different then the mountains of Maine and the beaches of Maine. You can go to the deserts of Arizona to the mountains of Arizona and they will be different then the desert of Utah and the mountains of Utah. If this all makes since. Central Florida and coastal Florida, are different then central and coastal California. Every state has things that are unique about them. I know this probably doesn't directly answer your question.

I know that boon docking in Arizona is more available then boon docking on the east coast. I think one of the main reasons is because we have a lot more National Forest on the west coast then the east coast and I think that the National Forest on the west coast are also larger.

You also have the state camp grounds that vary greatly, I have notice that there are a lot of Army corps of engineers campgrounds on the east coast unlike the western side of the country.

16. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

There are a fair number of Corps campgrounds in the Northwest. They're almost all right along rivers that have major hydro projects on them (Namely, the Columbia and Snake). There's one in particular on the Columbia I'd like to make a trip out to after I've got a little more experience under my belt.

But yes, every state is so different, and so much variety...

17. galangal

galangal New Member

Oregon and Washington for the win! CG a plenty, something for everyone and the most beautiful scenery imaginable!

18. vanjr

vanjr New Member

Living in TX I have to say....Michigan in the summer!

19. 1madscot

1madscot Member

definitely Michigan, we have mountains (the Porkies), deserts (well, the shore of Lake Michigan has a lot of sand), valleys and streams, and the inland Seas. As an added benefit, our seas are not salted and are shark free, and there are not nearly as many pirates these days. We have all four seasons (pre-construction, construction, post construction and winter) and you can wear your entire wardrobe for each season in one day. What more could you ask for?

20. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

X2 for Michigan

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD