Which states have passes for disabled vets?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Eileen Cowen, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Eileen Cowen

Eileen Cowen New Member

Hey all, what's your knowledge about free or discount passes for disabled vets? I know the US federal system gives a free National Parks access pass to DAV, it is good for 50% off all camping in addition to free admission to Ntl Parks. I live in Washington and have received free camping passes from Oregon and WA, and understand that California requires 50% disability to receive a free pass. Any other states offer passes to disabled vets, regardless of home of record?
    Cheers, All!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Interesting, and sorry about the disability and thanks for your service. I know the military has some campgrounds in each state. I would hope that would be free for you to use.

3. Eileen Cowen

Eileen Cowen New Member

Thanks, friend! I forgot about the MWR campgrounds... they are usually open to retired/active duty/National Guard but with limited access for vets who don't fall under the retirement system. Not a problem per se for me, I really enjoy state and national parks better anyway ;)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Virginia state parks have a 50% off camping etc. for those w/ a 100% rating, doesn't say if it's for DAVs nation wide; my rating is below 100%, but I got a senior pass for $40 to all parks...
    • Veteran disability passport - free
      Covers vehicle parking and admission for the pass holder and anyone needed to assist the pass holder at parks and facilities with per person admission. Covers boat launch and horse trailer parking. This pass also includes a 50% discount on camping, swimming, shelters and equipment rental (park operated rentals only). Requires a service connected disability rating of 100%. Paperwork from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs showing 100% service connected disability must be attached to the application.

6. Campgrandma

Campgrandma Member

In Texas any vet with 60% disability has free entrance to state parks.Does not have to be a Texas resident.