Which television antenna to buy

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by typan, Jul 17, 2009.

1. typan

typan "That' just not right"

I want to get a television for the pup. Please lets not turn this into a why do you want a tv while camping..I would like to know which antenna would be best to buy. I was thinking of the Winegard Hideaway..Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Thanks in advance, Mike

2. runkster

runkster New Member

Re: Which televsion antenna to buy

I had one of those antenna and I had bought a power booster from radio shack. and then I got 1 piece of pvc pipe 10 feet long and fasten them together to get the antenna high and it did ok. With all the trees around it is hard to get a reception unless you are close to a town and out in the opening.

3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Below is a post from the past. It can be read under "mods" DW went and picked up one at Wally World this week. We will give it a try. As far as stations go, I believe you have to reasonibly close to a city with stations. But, we will see. Will work on this mod on Sunday. Pick up some pvc pipe to get it high enough. Going to a local SP next weekend and we will see what we get.

I just recently bought an HD Tuner (Hauppauge) for my laptop and used it in the PUP and the antenna that came with it was terrible.

I bought a new HDTV Antenna (Philips MANT940 UHF Digital and Analog Indoor/Outdoor Antenna) and attached it very easily to the awning support bar. I then ran the coax cable underneath the roof support arm covering and through a small opening at the bottom that goes directly behind my dinette which is where we keep the laptop. This setup worked out great for us.

4. Elliemae

Elliemae New Member

We just bought a little tv for our pup but didn't buy the antenna but I looked on the net @Wally and looked at the different antenna's and seen one for only $9.95 (which our friend just bought) and the reviews were good so I'm hoping it will work. It worked fine for our friend. We're heading out in the morning so I guess we'll find out. A while back our friend bought a Digitial Receiver for his unit and that thing works sometimes and sometimes he can't get anything and it was not cheap, so I'm going to try my little $10 antenna or no tv. I like to watch some tv sometimes but not always. I know I shouldn't but I kinda keep up with a certain reality show on tv..bad of me..but oh well, if I do I do, if I don't I don't..

5. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We keep a 19 inch flat screen computer monitor and got a tv box for $40. Works like a champ when we have cable hook ups. Depending where we are, we had rabbit ears and was able to get a few stations. Now with the digital age, we picked up the HDTV antenna for $40 and will check it out next weekend. We like to watch the news and some tv at night before we go to sleep. When we are gone for a week or more, if we don't have television, we feel so out of touch with the world. Some may disagree, but to each his own. We also have a mini laptop we take. Good to keep in touch and share photos with the family while we are away. (DW also sneaks in work when she thinks I'm not looking) [:(O]

6. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

We take our little 13 color TV with built in VCR. And we use the digital converter box you can get for $10 with the government rebate card, and just used the Rabbit ears that came with the TV (sit in a hole on the back), but Velcro them to the side of the roof, And its works great, We get 36 clear channels,

My brother was next spot over and used the HDTV antenna on a telescoping Tent pole from walmart and he got 72 channels.

Sharon

7. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Regardless of what antenna you get make sure to get a digital converter box if your TV does not have a digital tuner already built into it.

8. Elliemae

Elliemae New Member

All of our tv in the house are the regular tv's. We haven't bought a new tv in probably 8-9 years..hard to believe isn't it..but we have 3 of those little 13"VCR como tvs and we took one of them with us on our 1st campout along with the converter but that little thing is heavy so we thought "let's buy one of those 19" Digitial tv and boy I couldn't believe what they look like and much lighter and easier to put in the tv and doesn't take up near the room. We'll see how it works tomorrow night. This new digitial thing is something else..I guess after a while it will be ok. We do have satalite in the house but I really don't want to drag a dish and receiver with us..no way..don't need tv that bad but I do see a lot of them in the cgs. Just more work and more to take, right?

[{}=] [SUN] [;)]

9. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I have the winegurad amplified with the gov black box that i got with the gov coupon. and it does ok. the coast was 159.00

10. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I have the Winegard MS 2000. I made a mount for it using a 1 1/2 X 12 inch long galvanized pipe. The pipe is treaded on one end. I made a block that is attached to the cargo rack of the popup. Before I raise the roof, I just screw the antenna into the mount. This antenna works okay, but channels I could get with rabbit ears in the analog world will not come in now that we are in the digital world. But normally, all I want to get is the evening news and the weather, so I guess it works out okay.

A great place to do business with related to buying TV antennas is http://www.dennysantennaservice.com. This is a great independent company that still believes in customer service. I would do business with this guy even if it cost me $15.00 more than Wal-Mart just because I believe in supporting these types of businesses.

11. mike1wade

mike1wade Want to Dark Side

We have a Winegard RS2000, 3 legged, mounted to the front center of the roof. Just have to unwrap the cable from around the tripod, and connect it to the cable terminal on the outside of the dinnette box. Went from 3 analog and 2 to sometimes 4 channels with digital box, and homemade antenna. to 11 channels, 8 digital, with new lcd tv. The Winegard hookup gives the "cable" hookup option. It was easy to install.

12. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

I have a Philips MANT940 UHF Digital and Analog Indoor/Outdoor Antenna which I clamp to my awning support pole. Works great.

[​IMG]

13. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We have the same one as Chewie48 and used it at the Bristol race last week. When we first got there, we were able to get all three network stations and 9 other channels. After the hundreds of big rigs pulled in, we got NOTHING! We have it mounted on 2 8 ft. sections of PVC, so we had enough height, just too much interference with all the satellite dishes around.

14. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

have a look at this map/locations to find some CG you plan to visit to just see how high up and how hood of an antenna you need.... in my area OTA stations are next to none so we would need a 30-40 foot antenna just to get a clear digital signal... so we will just stick to DVDs for the little ones for now and keep a weather radio and normal OTA radio on.

15. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

Just a thought, before you leave on your camping trip. Log on to this website, type the zip code of where you will be camping and it will give you the direction you need to face your digital antena for the best reception. Once the stations come up on the website, if you click on the station call letters it will show you where the towers are located.

Click Here: The Digital TV Transition Reception Maps

16. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

That's a great link. Thanks for posting it.

17. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

thanks, you read my mind... that is the exact link I was trying to post one before you but for some reason it did not get added to my post...

18. turtle

turtle New Member

I'm going the big rig direction. I ordered a tripod for my phillips antenna as I've found that under the trees or if a big rig parks next to me I lose reception, so I mount the antenna on the tripod, place it where it's not likely to have obstruction and face it toward the most stations. I'm still experminting with it but so far looks good. I image that when people see it they wonder where the big rig is.

19. jcridge

jcridge New Member

A couple weeks ago our neighbor went camping with us and brought along their HDTV for watching college football games. The antennae they brought was the Terk HDTVa. I was very impressed with how well it picked up HD channels in what was basically the middle of nowhere.

20. Whiskeyme

Whiskeyme Virginia Beach, Virginia

We just bought a cheap one, it is a bit long but it fits in the pop
    [​IMG]

http://www.adventurerv.net/winegard-dipole-82channel-tvfm-antenna-pi-5909.html?osCsid=4v98eb3u8icvhk228r0otbkq87
    It works great for us, I just added a small ampifer
    I side it into a pvc pipe and take velco straps and strap it to the camper roof suport. I will try to take a pic this weekend... [MOD]...... they sell for $36 but I found one for $16 (forgot where)