Which to Get??? 22" VS 17" Blackstone Griddle

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by TravelingAggie, Oct 14, 2020.

1. TravelingAggie

TravelingAggie Member

So for my birthday I was told that I would be getting a Blackstone griddle and that all I had to do was pick it out but im having trouble deciding between the 17 and 22 inch models. Most of the time it will just be the DW and myself but occasionally we might have up to 2 other people join us. I liked that the 22" has a dual burner for different heat zones but im worried it was going to be too big and take up too much space in the truck/PUP. Any opinions to help sway my purchase decision?

2. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I have both, and use both. If you are cooking one or two things for a few people, the 17" is great. It is lighter and smaller than the 22". However as you pointed out the 22" has dual burners, and that is nice if you want to control heat. When we are camping I usually find myself taking the 22" because I cook for more than 2 or 3 people. I have the lid for the 22" as well. I don't think you can get that on the 17". I also have the stand which can be used for either size, and is well worth the money.

If you like to cook big breakfasts (eggs, pancakes, bacon/sausage), the 22" will serve you better I think. Not that you can't do that on the 17", just nicer on the 22". As for size and weight, yes the 22" is a little bigger and weighs more, but I don't find that it's so much more as to sway my deciding which one to take. I will say the 17" has a little built in drip tray in the front which is nice. The 22" has an external one that hangs off the back, It is still very nice to use, but it is constantly getting bumped off when I move the grill, or I am afraid it is going to get damaged while in the back of my truck. It's a very minor detail I know, but you asked. All in all, I find the 22" is just more versatile. Either one is going to serve you well though. You will be happy with either one, honestly. It just depends on what you want to do with it.

Ductape likes this.
  3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I have the 17" and the freestanding 26", or maybe 28", I forget which it is. Most of the time, it's just me & the wife, & the 17" does fantastic. On the occasions the whole clan gets together (kids & grandkids), we haul out the 26".....you can cook a BUNCH of food in a hurry.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

If you check your local walmarts you might find a 22 or the 17 with the side burner/fryer for $100. Get it quick - not many left around me.

I have an older 17 with the front grease tray, and the 22 with the hood and stand. 22 would be the one I would get if I had to get only one. Dual burners is super helpful, comes with a hood and a collapsible stand with a side shelf.

My 17 has the bag and soft cover - easier to haul around for sure, but the 22 has better utility while cooking. Sometimes I will run both though, which is nice.

I seriously thought about getting the one with the fryer as it comes with a hood as well, but the side burner is a little weak so frying is not as quick as I would like if doing multiple loads. The burner grate also has a huge opening in the middle so many of my smaller pots and my camp kettle would not work. Still, it does have a hood and if you add an adjustable high pressure regulator and adapter I bet you could get it dialed in.

5. TravelingAggie

TravelingAggie Member

zak99b5 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Just remember , its prety big so it may live in the back of the truck. Just saying the smaller one is easier to store.

7. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

I am wanting to switch to something like the Coleman tail Gaiter. I have read that the regulator has to be changed to work with pressure on the PUP regulator and that is not a problem. I don't want to carry a outside stove and a grill when I cant have a campfire to cook on. My question is does anybody use The Coleman for both cooking in a skillet and or grilling with it and do they like it? We do not like cooking inside the PUP.

Thanks in advance

8. TravelingAggie

TravelingAggie Member

I went out and got the 22" model and realized just how large it is. I might go and pick up a 17" model and compare the 2 at the house and return the one I don't like.

Ductape and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

You have a lot in that question, i have the roadteip, and i use the grill and stove top part on it. It works really good. I dont have the skillet top as i bring my blackstone also. It should work good as the colmans get hot fast.

10. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

If I only had one griddle, it would be the 22" (like you linked) because you can use it at home as well as on camping trips.

17" is more portable, but you'll be cooking for people in more shifts, and you can't have a cooler side.

I have the 28" one in the backyard. It's the "portable" Adventure model in that the legs fold up without tools, but it's pretty big and heavy. Great for home use though. With that in the backyard, I am getting the 17" for camping.

11. Sjm9911

The cooler side on the small blackstone is the outside perimeter. So , peppers and onions go there after you cook in the middle and then place the sassage in the middle. It just takes some getting used to. Like a short order cook on the grill. 17 is fine for 4 people. I did pankakes for one of the rallys here, so lota of people, its doable.

12. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I've got the 17 and love it. So much that we virtually never use the Webber anymore. I do sometimes wish I bought the 22 for the dual heat zones, but certainly could never regret the 17.

J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I'm making the same decision and also leaning towards the 22" with stand. I'm also building an outdoor kitchen and thinking I will probably keep the griddle in a cabinet send pull it out for use. I would use the stand when camping.

Now with y'all saying the 17" is big enough for two, the portability sounds great.

I have a Mountain Summit table my Coleman two burner stove fits perfectly on. I wonder if the 17 could straddle the cook surface. It seems too big to sit on top.

Hmm, decisions.

14. Sjm9911

15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Going to experiment this coming week with an inexpensive electric griddle... haven’t brought my Camp Chef in a while as I have been hauling other crap lol.

J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. Novarich

Novarich Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I purchased a pair of 17's on clearance a couple months ago with the intent of bringing camping. I modified the fuel inlet line on one of them to enter from the other side so I can slide them together. I've ordered the adapters to eliminate the problematic regulators. I was not finished with my mods before my last trip and ended bringing me 36" from home along. With 3 adults and 3 kids I was glad to have the 36 that I'm used to. I will end up taking the pair of 17's on my next trip to at least compare the 2 setups. Just FYI, someone in one of my online blackstone forums posted an ad showing that Walmart will have a 22" model on sale for 99.00 on november 14th. It's a model with legs and a side table. My understanding it's different than the other models.

Attached Files:

17. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

We lived with one on the Island in the kitchen when the kids were small. Always prepping kid food on it.

Back to the post: I could not tell you what I missed until I got the BS17. I love the crap out of it. I cook for 4 or 5 at a time and it always does the job. A bigger unit might not fit into my storage space.

neighbormike likes this.
  18. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

If I could go back and do it all over again, I would get the 22". It would be nicer to have more cooking area and the ability to have different zones, but I mostly want it for the ability to heat faster or recover faster.

Ductape likes this.