which would you buy for a family of 5...and possible guests at times?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by txmash, Nov 12, 2015.

1. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

I agree that it wasn't specifically stated with tow package - but - an Expedition without it is more than capable to pull any PUP...

Give me that SUV over any van any day to pull a PUP down the road.

2. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

We have the 228 without the slide out dinette. We love the floorplan and it works great for us. We bought ours new in 2011. We have fit 5 kids and 2 adults and 2 dogs in it. Even in stormy weather being stuck in it is still comfortable. We love it and plan on keeping it a few more years. Good luck in your popup hunt :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Yeah. Not mentioned specifically. My bad. Could have sworn I read it.
    So the Expedition without it could only tow about 6000 lbs.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to belittle anyone. I stated what I thought I read.
    Ease up. Jeez.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

No harm.. been corrected a few times myself... :)

It is important to know if his vehicle has a factory tow package in the sense that in order to get a trailer large enough for 5 people plus possible guests, the vehicle would definitely need a 7 way plug with a brake controller installed along with a class III/ Class IV hitch.. Since without this items he would need to budget for them.

You have to figure the growth of the kids, while today they might be small and able to share a bed or two beds, soon one or all of them are going to want their own bed.

My standard answer for someone planning to buy is to make a couple different lists..

One list of "Wants", list everything you want in a trailer. Next is a "Needs" list, here you list everything you need it to have. While you may want a trailer that can sleep 8 people, you only need one to sleep 5 people. The last list is the "Deal Breaker" list.. anything that will break the deal no matter the price.

Once the lists are complete, start looking, if possible go to a couple RV shows (with the kids) and sit in as many makes and models as possible. Now over the past couple years many members have said the number of pop-ups at shows is dwindling, so keep that in mind when you go. After the show and you have digested everything and gone over your lists again (and maybe made changes) head out to several RV dealers and try on different sizes of trailers.. Again take the whole family and any fur babies that might go camping too, place everyone in the trailer and see if it were a wet windy day if there is enough room for everyone to hangout without too many issues..

Once you have the type, make and model of trailer narrowed down to a couple different floorplans that you have seen the next step is to locate a reputable dealer. They could be around the block or a few hours away, but dealing with a decent dealer who values customers makes the whole experience of not only buying but owning an RV so much more enjoyable..

Lastly ... Go camping and start building memories and friendships...

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

If it were me and you are going with a PUP, I would go with a Niagara (Somerset or Fleetwood) or a Fleetwood Avalon. The Avalon would be my first choice.

7. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

We have a 2009 Fleetwood/Coleman Niagara and are a family of 4 with a 17 year old son and a 15 year old girl. More often than not the DD brings her friend and sometimes the DS brings the girlfriend. The bunk is more than big enough for the 3 girls and the converted table is a bed for the boy. In regards to all the stuff they bring, I have a Velcro closet cubby that hangs by one bunk and the rest stays in their dufflebags in one corner of the sofa. Once you get a PUP, you will find your own system of what works for storage.
    Granted we spend a lot of time outside, but we don't feel cramped. If we are at a SP that has nice washroom facilities(which they usually do), and unless we have full hookup, we don't bother setting up the hardwall bathroom and that gives us more counterspace. We are exceptionally happy with our PUP. Sometimes when kids from around the campground come and hang out in our trailer, they comment on how roomy it is compared to their TT!

8. txmash

txmash New Member

WOW, thank you for the info.
    Per questions, I do have the tow package on my Expedition. :)

If we were to get the Flagstaff, could we easliy add a cargo area to the front or back of the camper? I REALLY think we will need one for help carrying coolers, camp chairs, bikes (that would be ideal), etc.

Thanks! Hopefully we will be able to purchase one soon. We just went tent camping this past weekend and all I could think about was how more comfortable it would be in a popup.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Good to know..

The short answer.. NO ... a longer answer YES, Sort of.. If you add a cargo area on the tongue you'll increase the tongue weight. Adding a cargo area to the rear of the trailer will cause a decrease to the tongue weight, the problem with this idea is that pup frames are made very light... as in anything hanging off the rear of the pup has to be welded into the two main frame rails or you can cause serious damage to the back frame/bumper of the pup..

Been there ...lol

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Snows answer is on the money with the "YES, Sort of". If you add up all the additional weight of the stored items that would be added to the tongue and it doesn't exceed a certain number (we'll get to that in a second) I'd say YES you can.

Arriving at the number is going to be a bit of a math. You need to figure out the max tongue weight that the trailer is rated for. Usually 15% of GVWR is a solid number, but I'll entertain better solutions. Then load your trailer the way you would and new storage&cargo and weigh the tongue. See if you exceed the max tongue weight.

Personally I wouldn't hang extra weight off the rear of the camper for fear that it would increase the tendency to sway. But if you DID want to add some storage for bulky/lightweight items (Lawn chairs). I don't think the 5-10 extra pounds back there would make any real difference.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I would buy Coleman Niagara with slide out. I still buy the parts I need for my Coleman Niagara with no problem. I have ABS roof with no issues. Look at my Avatar.