Which would you get first? Air lift kit or sway bar?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by lugoismad, May 30, 2014.

1. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I have enough in my paypal account to buy either, from selling some stuff on ebay this week. Not enough to get both.

I do get a little sway on the trailer which I'd like to resolve, but I'm thinking the air bags are more important to me, I don't like how low the back of the van sits when we're loaded up.

2. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

That's a tough call since I've never seen your set up. If you have sway I would be more concerned with fixing that first if it was me.. but I don't know how much your sagging either, if your ridding on the bump stops that not good

3. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I don't think I'm on the stops, but I have a dual ball mount, with 2" on the top and 1-7/8"s on the bottom, and the smaller ball has some scratches on it from hitting the asphalt occasionally. I went out and bought a single ball mount and flipped it so I have a bit of lift for the ball now. I'm hoping changing that angle fixes the sway. We're going camping today, so we shall see.

Really only got sway when the wind picked up on the highway.

4. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

5. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

The curt kit comes with a tab you can have welded on to your existing hitch. My mom's boyfriend has a welder, and it'd take him 2 minutes. So thats $25 I can save.

6. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

If your camper sways, I would do that first, as it could be dangerous...

How heavy is your camper? You might want to consider a Weight distribution hitch with built in sway control like the mini 350. Check your owners manual but honda used to require one for trailers over 2000 pounds. Of course check to see if your trailer can use one as some cannot.

The towing experience is also Much improved with the WDH, Better ride & they sort of tie the TV and trailer together for better control etc.

My camper is just over 2200 pounds empty with a 3250 max weight and we have pulled it 12-15,000 miles with just a WDH, no air bags or sway bar, but my trailer has never had any signs of sway.

7. Detroit_Iron

I mounted the balls for the sway bar on the hitch and camper myself also. Check www.autoanything.com for a price on the airlift, they also have free shipping on anything.

I just towed mine 4 hours each way on a trip last weekend. The 500lb TW had the back of my Ram sagging within an 1-11/2 of the bump stops. I had the airlift's before but took them out. I just ordered a set of different bags from another company when I got back on Tuesday

8. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

So, it sounds like you can justify both because if you spend $135 then you save $10 in shipping. [:D] And you can play the safety / for the children card with the wife.

9. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Trailer can't use WDH, so thats out [;)]

Camper weighs 2050lbs dry. The real killer is the 2 coolers full of ice, soda and beer, 2 propane tanks and 3 rubbermaid containers full of maple and oak in the back of the van.

10. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

lift kit. [2C]

11. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Trying to do this slowly. Its "safe" right now, but I'd like to make it safer.

My credit card is already smoking.

12. Detroit_Iron

Mines the same way 500lb of TW and probably close to 3kloaded to camp and and whatever is in the bed. I can't use a WDH either. Big Red letters in the owners manual saying not to lol...

13. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Went ahead and bought the air lift kit. $72 shipped for an open box one on ebay.

14. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Hope the air lift works out for you.
    I am towing Fleetwood Westlake with my Odyssey. I install the single arm Reese weight distribution hitch and am happy with the added stability. I also added a friction anti-sway bar for driving in the rain.

15. turborich

turborich Active Member

Air bags would be first for me. [2C]

16. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Ended up buying both. My neighbor texted me, I passed him on the highway on the way to the campground. He said my camper was swaying pretty hard back and forth. He just finished getting his CDL certification, so I'm going to take his word on this one. Ordered a Curt Sway Bar kit.

17. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

I did the airbags (air-lift) on the marquis. it was rock solid when I had it out last summer. It came with sway bars so I didn't need to add em.

Jerry in MA

18. superbee73

superbee73 New Member

Make sure there is enough weight on the trailer tongue., shift stuff around if needed. Too light can lead to a squirrelly trailer.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Definitely deal with the sway. It can turn deadly in a few seconds.