White hose. Bad taste.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by br00n0, Apr 1, 2013.

1. br00n0

br00n0 New Member

Hi all,

(I haven't found info yet in these forums...)

We used our new pup a couple of times last year, every time with water services.

However, we have noticed that our (new) white hose gives a bad taste to the water. It has a plastic/vinyl taste and ruins everything (pasta, coffee, hot chocolate, etc.).

Is it a problem with the hose itself or are there any tricks we could do to get rid of that taste?

Would it be better to buy another hose?

Thanks in advance!

B.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Was it actually labeled as a drinking water how? I saw white ones last week that were not drinking water hoses, but I had to read the packaging carefully to figure that out.

Was this at a specific campground, or at every one? We camped in one campground last year (for the CO Rally) where the water was tested as safe, but it had a weird half metallic, half plastic-y taste that was evident through tea, food, etc., even after filtering it through the PUR. We finally used it for washing up, and drove to town and purchased bottled water. The campground was not very busy, so we figured the lines didn't get as flushed as they would in a busier campground.

We've never had that issue with our hose, but we use it only to fill water jugs. We make sure to rinse and drain it well after each trip, but that is probably easier for our short one than others.

If flushing it at home doesn't help, or if there are any questions as to whether it is actually a drinking water hose, if it was my choice, I'd buy a new one.

3. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I sanatize my hoses when I de-winterize and sanitize the PUP water system. I fill a 5 gal pail with a bleach water mix and feed the hoses into it so the hose fills and then let it sit overnight. Word of caution, wear old clothes. I also use an inline charcoal type filter going into the PUP when camping with hookups. Even after all this, we still use a Brita filtering pitcher for drinking water and coffee.

4. br00n0

br00n0 New Member

Hi there!

Thanks for the quick reply!

The white hose came with our new popup, in the "Starter Kit". We have another, purple one, which is used for the dirty water...

We experienced the taste everywhere, 2 different CG's and at home too. [:(O]

We were told to rince/flush thouroughly but it did not help.

I think we'll have to buy another one...

B.

5. br00n0

br00n0 New Member

Hi,

We will give a try to the bleach trick when we de-winterize (hopefully soon!).

I'm not familiar with inline filters. Aren't they used to fill up the water tank only?
    Can they be left attached to the hose all the time during our stay?

Thanks!

B.

6. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

I am getting ready to sanitize my water system, and I was wondering about how clean I can get it. I think I'll just get some gallons of water for drinking,cooking, and use the water tank for hand washing and such.

7. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

This is what I do and always have. I use a Brita at home for all my drinking water, putting it into washed V8 or Gatorade bottles to carry in my cooler, etc. For weekend camping trips, I always pick up one of these 2.5 gallon dispensers at the store and bring home whatever is left.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

9. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We noticed that when the hose was in the sun, the water tasted of plastic.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Recently I have seen more and more coloured hoses on the market, seen blue,green,red,grey,orange and white... none of these were drinking water safe ... Now I have a green hose from Wal-e-Mart I bought a couple years ago that is drinking water safe.. so it can get confusing..

As for the water filter, just get one of those inline water filters that will attach at the spigot between the spigot and your hose.. Use it all the time, whether connected to water at your site or just filling the water tanks..

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We use white hoses clearly labeled for drinking water. We also use a filtration system.

After each trip when we get home I will rinse the hoses out and hang them on the fence to dry out. At the beginning of each season I will sanitize the hoses by filling a large bucket with a bleach mixture and soak the hoses in there for a few hours and then rinse them out. Then I will hang them on the fence to dry out before storing them in the pup.

12. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

I noticed this with our white drinking water hose last time out too.

So just soak it in bleach water and rinse the heck out of it? How often do you do this? Once a season?

When I store it back in the camper, I screw the two ends together to keep any dirt or bugs or anything that might get in it, out, BUT that also keeps it from drying out completely, I'm sure. Is that wrong? Should I just leave the ends open?

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Definitely bleach it and then, if there is a bleach small or taste left over, run some white vinegar through it and then flush it thoroughly. Vinegar is great at getting rid of tastes and smells.

14. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

But then, how do you get rid of the vinegar taste/smell ? [LOL]

15. timothias

timothias New Member

Vinegar rinses out very quickly. I use it to clean my coffee maker, and after I run two full pots of clear water. After that you would never know vinegar was in there.

Side note, I am becoming convinced that vinegar is magic and good for everything. My DW uses it to clean our cupboards and bathroom in the house.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I use it to kill weeds in the yard too. Why pay a fortune for Roundup?

17. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

Should I NOT screw the two ends together when I put it away?

18. Twisty

Twisty New Member

IMO, you should screw them together. I do. Wet or dry or whatever. Rinse with a gallon or 2 b4 use.
    I hook up to the spigot at home or the CG and run some water through it.

19. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Life short.. bring yourself some bottled water. Those 2 1/2 gallion jugs are nice to leave on the counter.IMO

20. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Can always put a cup or two of vinegar in it when you screw ends together. I use a few drops of bleach with water and seal up my water containers, makes for weak disinfecting solution and keeps them clean, but I also don't camp as much as used to (was going every other weekend year around here in MI)