Who avoids the crowds on holiday weekends?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by crazymama30, May 24, 2019.

1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

We do. I have a work camping trip scheduled Tuesday through Thursday, but nothing for this weekend. Camp grounds are crowded enough, and they are worse IMHO on holiday weekends. I like to go camping partially in the weekend and on the weekend for 2 reasons. Number 1 is that then I dont have to use as much vacation time and number 2 is that we get a couple days where the campground is not filled to capacity.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I try my best to avoid crowds anytime, I go for relaxation and rest (Navy calls it R&R)

crazymama30 and TPB Lahey like this.
  3. erich82

erich82 Active Member

With kids, crowds are kind of inevitable, and long weekends mean an extra day out without having to take vacation days. Kids are screaming anyways.

mattlreese, kcsa75 and crazymama30 like this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

When we go camping on holiday weekends, we are very selective in our destination. There are some places we don't go at any time, but definitively would not on weekends - most places with water in the SW seem to become massive party cities, for example. (They expect something like 50,000 at Elephant Butte Lake in NM this weekend.)
    We had reservations for North Rim of Grand Canyon for this weekend - it's not a short distance from anywhere, the campground isn't that large, and it's been fine in the past. Canceled the trip - 8" of snow on the ground yesterday.
    We have other relatively remote campgrounds where we go for holidays - we use holiday weekends to expand my husband's vacation time. Since his Friday off is next Friday and he gets the holiday, we can take an 8 night trip for 3 days of vacation. Same thing for Labor Day, where we'll be 30 miles from the nearest town.

gladecreekwy and crazymama30 like this.
  5. TPB Lahey

TPB Lahey New Member

I don't go drinking at bars on St. Patrick's day. I don't go camping on long holiday weekends. For much the same reasons.
    I have a flexible work schedule so I can easily camp weekdays. That's a big plus. I really love fall camping. Right after all the kids are back in school.

6. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

We camp Sunday thru Thursday and generally miss the crowds.

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We just keep driving further into the boonies till we don’t see anyone.

hayyward, WVhillbilly and Rik Peery like this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

hooyah

9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We are also weekday campers. We avoid weekends and holidays as much as possible. If we are out for two weeks, we tolerate a weekend, but other than that, nope. We head out 6/3 to 6/8.

Rik Peery likes this.
  11. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

We camp through the week since we are retired. It’s usually pretty peaceful. Not camping this weekend no space was available so going to spend a couple hours visiting son at the campground.

12. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We stay home on the major holiday weekends, not fond of camping with people packed closer than they are at home. However, we do have reservations for next weekend.

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't camp on holiday weekends either. At least the summer ones - Memorial Day, the 4th, or Labor Day. I do enjoy camping for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

While working, I usually tried to camp Thursday through Sunday. It gave me two full days to explore, one with fewer people in the morning, and Monday was my regular day off work so I got a day to do laundry, relax, etc.

With retirement coming up this summer, I will be doing more weekday trips which is my preference.

hayyward, crazymama30 and Orchid like this.
  14. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Active Member

Well I would love to avoid the crowds we are limited with time off so we do take advantage of the extra day off to camp. I am more carful with where I book though. The site we had booked for this weekend was on the edge of a small loop- so not too many people around. Unfortunately we cancelled because the weather was is supposed to be horrible all weekend. :(

crazymama30 likes this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We camp Labor Day weekend, but not Memorial Day and July 4th. Our anniversary is 9/1 so we brave it. We look for out of the way destinations, but sometimes end up in the crowd.

crazymama30 and Rik Peery like this.
  16. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

We tend to camp the weekend directly before or directly after a holiday weekend. We have found this to be the best way to avoid the crowding. We will be home this weekend and camping next weekend. Then back out camping the weekend before the 4th of July.

crazymama30, Rik Peery and BillyMc like this.
  17. penny

penny Well-Known Member

HAHA, love this thread! I've spent a very quiet week at Catalina state park to be close to family, but not in the driveway close. I've enjoyed it immensely. tonight, a bit after 5, the parade begin. Maybe because it has been so quiet, and so few campers here, I really enjoyed sitting under the awning, watching. Watching the endless parade of families, on the first weekend of schools out, the first summer holiday and for some very odd reason, it is fun to me! Not usually what I would want to be out in, but tonight, it's like an end of school, Memorial day block party, and I'm enjoying being part of it!

18. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

we never camp on a holiday weekend, almost every campground is full by friday morning. If you don't have reservations, forget it, no way can you get into a campground. and on holidays, it brings out the younger set who get so drunk and cause problems for everyone most of the time.

crazymama30 likes this.
  19. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

We camp at NYS Parks. They are always filled. Saying that, we don't schedule any trips during the holidays. We prefer to go at our own time. Nothing more than that.

crazymama30 likes this.
  20. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Lol, we too enjoy watching the upsurge at times, people rolling in, kids pouring out & running around as the parents start setting stuff up...that's most oft on a Friday, & we leave Saturday morning; brings back a lot of memories from years ago (50s/60s), station wagon packed to the gills, JC Higgins canvas tents/canvas dining fly, metal Coke Cola coolers, transistor radios playing in the background, ready for a week of adventure...

crazymama30 and BillyMc like this.