Who here has 2 campers, a Popup and ?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by gardenbliss, Dec 11, 2019.

1. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I know many of us here lurk online for (maybe) that next camper, but we love our PUP's and would hate to get rid of them, due to compact size, fond family memories, ease of towing, etc...
    so, who here has kept their PUP's and bought a 2nd camper? I am seriously considering getting a T@B for when I solo camp, but keep the PUP for camping trips with my family, friends and future grandchildren. I know this is a little crazy, but YOLO.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Not crazy in the least. If I didn't have to worry about storage costs I would have two campers myself. Although mine would be an a frame and my traditional popup. Like you said, one for when you have the family or long trips and one for when it's just you. There are times for short weekend trips that's especially if it's going to be cold/rainy you don't want the hassle of canvas or the need of all the excess space.

3. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Have two PUPs. One had a tree fall on it before I got it, I want to mod it into a hybrid with just a rear slide out bunk.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We gave some thought to keeping the pup when we got the TT, since we didn’t sell it until the spring. We’d have had to store one or the other somewhere, it’s enough to have one in the driveway. The other drawbacks for us were having to keep two campers stocked (or move things from one to the other every time), and having another one to maintain. The camper is to make it easier and more enjoyable to camp, so we decided one was enough, and sold the pup so someone else could enjoy it.

Raycfe and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Technically, we have two campers. When we bought the TT we gave the Pup to DD #2 and her family. But we never transferred the title. [LOL]

6. AAAcampers

AAAcampers New Member

We have 2. We have a 2000 Dutchman 747 and just picked up a small LittleGuy Teardrop for camping when it is just the DW and I. Easier to tow behind the Subaru and immediate, simple set-up when our DS is off Boy Scout camping.

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Got an Aliner & a Sylvan Go Sport...

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I don’t any more. But a good friend of mind does. His driveway is packed and he keeps the campers in excellent shape but I think they can be too much work for him.
    Sometimes we just have too much stuff.

FARfetched and Rik Peery like this.
  9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We recently got a TT but kept the pup. We were lucky to have room in our storage lot for both. I just couldn’t part with it. Had it for 20 years and it’s finally just how I want it.

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

We moved into the 25' TT a couple years back. My old PUP was giving "family member" status (by the wife, via tears) and also serves as a play house and weekend hangout spot for our gals. It was up most of the season last year, and fully open all season for summer of 2018.

Essentially, the pup NO has real cash value and we've decided it can stay in our "fleet" of fun until said time a family member or willing young family is found to bestow it upon. You'd need to have working tool knowledge and like fixing stuff, you the poor PUP won't last long in the next owners hands. That new person is just super hard to find, if we aren't hunting for them, either. I also have lots of room and never mind seeing another car show up for fun.

I just saved another random broken car that was headed to the scrapper - we've been driving it around crashin' snowbanks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    gladecreekwy likes this.
  11. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

I have not two. But three campers. Currently my pop up is out in Harrisburg. At my daughters house. I have a truck camper in my Neibors garage and a fifth wheel in winter storage

J Starsky likes this.
  12. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have 2. The pup came second. The first is a popup slide in camper that has grown a little snug for the whole family. Since one kid has decided she wants to sleep in a tent no matter what we bring, the truck camper will probably get more use again. It's easier to drive, park, set up, get lunch out of on the road, venture across rough terrain, and keep warm than the pup. But it sure is small when everyone is inside.

The pup is for luxury camping. Glad we upsized to it instead of a hardsided anything else. I don't like RVs! Add some tenting and they're somehow okay. :)

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

popup and a Motorhome. popup nice for short trips motorhome for long distance trip

14. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Own two:

A Viking Odyssey pop up, (It’s my Avatar) and a Four Wheel Campers, (FWC) Grandby pop up truck camper. Both are old, both work, and both usually need some fiddling with. For a brief moment I had three, the third was my original pup, a Viking little gasser. I was starting to referb it, but found the Odyssey before I got very far.

I had the FWC before my pups. Still keep it as it works better for tour type camping IMO, as long as it’s just me or me and another. The Viking works way better for base camping, or going with a group, though the “group” was usually my sons who are now grown. Really tough to shoehorn all of us into the old Grandby now.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    shuang2 likes this.
  15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have two, but the TT is for sale whenever I get around to listing it. Been on my to-do list for almost a year. [LOL]

16. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Just have the Starflyer for now, but when I was younger I thought it would be cool to have a truck camper for vacations in the woods. Now that I have a truck that would ignore the weight, my mind occasionally drifts back in that direction… then reminds me that the wife would NOT climb into a cabover bunk. Still, if it were just me and the boys on an outing? If someone wanted to give me one, or sell it for a song, I'd go for it.

There's a pickup cap out behind the big garage that belonged to Mason's bio-mom. She moved to Manitowoc, and has long since ditched the oooold F150 it came off of… I keep thinking I should take it and my three-rail motorcycle trailer, and hack them into a Frankenstein hybrid. Maybe with a slide-out bunk. I could probably keep it light enough that the Orange Crate would have no problems with it… which means I'd have to find some paint to match the Kia "wild orange." :p

17. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

.....Wish we could have a FWC camper! With the camper on truck bed, we can pull our little Boston Whaler behind and then have both nice world on many camping trips.

18. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

I understand the desire. I wish I had a little Boston Whaler to take with me as required.

Congratulations on owning a Whaler, they are in my limited experience, and based on their asking price around here, a very nice boat.

shuang2 likes this.
  19. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

I have two. A really large, heavy, fully tricked out Dutchman, with full, queen and king beds. Just heavy and takes a whole lot of set up time...but good for long trips where you stay put for a while.

However, we wanted something bigger than a teardrop but almost as versatile, and found the little vintage kamper I'm restoring now. Pops up instantly, and basically only has beds and a couple of benches. Super light, and will use it when we move camp every day, or need a really quick jaunt. So, two PUPs, but different uses.

20. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Well.... Over the years we have had more than one camper on several occasions ... including 2 P'ups...
    Currently living FT in a 5er, have a Hybrid for traveling, and actively hunting for an old simple tent on a trailer.