Who here is SINGLE, that camps, (not married and solo camping)??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Haybale, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Who here that is single that camps (with or without kids)? [CP]

Not who is married and camps without their SO.... That's in the other thread I started...

I have not had a gf since I got the pop-up.... Not getting rid of it....

Other than rallys, I just camp with my DS, rarely every with anyone else.

2. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

I'm single and live full-time in my Apache. Single, older guy living in a pop-up... quite the chick magnet! [LOL]

3. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Now single here also. Actually a widower. Camp alone except am looking forward to taking my 11 year old grandson a few times this summer. I replied to your earlier thread.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You might be surprised. If a woman doesn't want to live your lifestyle, she is not someone you want to be with anyway. BTW, Apaches are seriously cool. I used to own a Ranger.

Sorry for posting on your singles thread, Haybale. I just couldn't resist a response. [;)]

5. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

I'm a widower and camp solo ... also hoping that is a temporary condition. [;)]

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Pretty much always been single and have always camped.... Have been camping with my pooch for about 4 years now.... she doesn't help with the set-up a whole lot (though she tries). I don't mind being on my own (sometimes friends are nearby) and have even gotten fairly proficient at awning set-up/ take-down. Actually, one of the things I love about camping is I don't need to have a partner to do it.

7. stlouielady

stlouielady Member

I'm single, and I solo camp. Started camping with my parents when I was a kid, and have continued. None of my friends really enjoy camping and don't want to go with me, so I go alone. I wouldn't mind company, but, I'm okay going by myself.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. This is me as well. Living in the city has its perks, but all my friends are die hard city slickers where staying at a hotel without maid service is classified as roughing it. The one time I camped with a friend it was a serious mistake. I camp alone often or with my dogs. Occasionally with my little side kick, although not so little any more, or meet up with my parents at their favorite campground. I'll take camping anyway I can get it.

9. Haybale

My friends always say they want to go, especially after I post so many pictures of my trips. But yet very rarely does anyone join in. Other than rallys I've only had a couple trips that were with friends (a 23 day camping road trip had 1 stop with family in MN and 1 with a Navy buddy in OK).

However being that single forever guy, yes I'm a single dad but that's not the same, camping with my son is so much less lonely than being home with him.

Need to find a central location for all the single campers to have 1 big rally!!!

kreeves likes this.
  10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that everyone should try camping by themselves at least once. I never have. If I did it would probably be backpack camping in the woods, by a stream.

11. dirkdabass

dirkdabass Member

Retired. Single. Long time camper. Getting ready for the trip of a lifetime (the "Great West Trip"). Maybe 3 - 4 months: till I get bored or cold. Meeting a few friends along the way but travelling alone. Big plans and big ambitions. I've taken short trips before (1-2 weeks) but never this long. I don't know if or how loneliness will affect me. It is, I suppose, to be an adventure. I think I'm ready for it. We'll see.

12. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Been single for what seems forever, but still not long enough. [:D]
    My previous work life did not make for a great marriage. [:D]
    So, I have only camped with my dogs (they never complain); however, I have a few single friends and we meet up at different campgrounds or camping areas a few times a year.

13. Haybale

How far west??

14. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like my story, except I live in 'cottage country' and have lots of friends who love to camp, canoe, and kayak. Unfortunately, they are busy with work or their families.

I only bought my NTM pup in Sept 2015, but I have used my backpacking tent on canoe trips, car-camping, canoe trips for many years, including several years of camping/canoe trips with grade 7/8 students. Still miss them! :)

I have 3 favourite backpacking trails in Algonquin Park and solo camped on those trails many times. I would typically set up a base camp 5-10km in and go on day hikes from there.

I have also gone on 3 longer car-camping trips through the northeastern states to Nova Scotia, Newfoundland (east coast to west coast), New Brunswick, and PEI, and back by way of Quebec. My longest solo trip was 7 1/2 weeks and included a short backpacking trip into Westernbrook, Gros Morne.

I will never regret my decision to upgrade to my pup! Perhaps I'm just getting soft, but my Thermarest just doesn't cut it anymore, and replacing my canoe with a kayak almost 20 years ago has been a blessing to my knees!

Like stlouielady, although company would be nice on long car rides, I really don't mind travelling alone. Given that I'm likely to do most of my future camping at rallies, it's really just a case of driving to meet up with my new 'family' of campers that I've met at previous rallies. And who doesn't like a reunion! [:D]

To dirkdabass: looking forward to updates re your trip west. Does this mean that you won't be joining us in Vermont this year?

15. dirkdabass

dirkdabass Member

Strawhouse, I do expect to be back east by then and would like to be there. Haven't made reservations yet.

16. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Single here, just m and my 2 dogs. I haven't finished the remodel on my PUP yet but will be done in time for camping season. Most of my friends won't camp and the ones that do have their own camper. I don't have a problem going out on my own.
    I wish there were more people in my area so I could tag along with but you will have that.
    Great camping to all...

17. SBradley

SBradley Member

As much as I enjoy the thought of camping alone, a little retreat, I would not feel safe. I also wouldn't feel safe traveling to a location I'm not familiar with, to a campground I've never been. If I don't have company, I'm staying home! Just 2 weeks ago I was scoping out a campground and a man in a truck kept showing up EVERYWHERE, oddly and seemingly for no reason. Just saying, I was a little uncomfortable.

I grew up camping, and took friends and family tent camping for several years. I considered a PUP for a few years until last year - I bit the bullet. Visions of adventures danced in my head, but I haven't used it enough yet to experience them. We'll see how this year pans out! I should look for a rally out of state.

I do love my PUP, but I would be more comfortable travelling long distances with one that is easier to tow with my TV and has brakes. Hard to give up the one that I have, in the condition that it is in, for one that I don't know!!

18. SBradley

SBradley Member

Photo from the campground I was checking out.

Attached Files:

• FWB4.JPG
      FWB4.JPG
      File size:
      806.1 KB
      Views:
  19. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

So we need a forum that matches single campers with multi-person camp groups with a mission akin to Neighborhood Watch. It wouldn't be socializing, necessarily, it'd primarily be fooling stalkers to believe that you're part of a bigger group, even though you're just camping alone, but not too far from a family of 6.5.

Dang, sorry you can't camp in peace. That's just @#%^#@$^.

Sorry about barging in on this topic. I'm not single and don't qualify.

20. jwdogman@yahoo.com

jwdogman@yahoo.com Member

Single and camp without other people all the time. I work in customer service and it is nice to get away sometimes. I always have my "big protector" Boo with me. Actually she's more like an early warning device. She's pretty much just a 49 pound chickens**t, but the company is nice.
    I do camp with friends and family also, so I get to experience the best of both worlds. My favorite trip from last year was with my niece and nephew at Lake George Battleground State Campground. It's a tiny place with no privacy between sites, but the location is outstanding for $22 a night!