Who is still making new pups?

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by Milemaker13, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Jayco
    Forrest river/rockwood

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Coachman
    Sylvansport

3. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Viking.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Forest river and Thor industries represent the majority of new pups on the market, through their subsidiaries.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Somerset / A-Liner (Columbia Northwest)

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Jayco isn’t making new pups at the moment, until/if the demand picks up. There may still be some floating around on dealer lots.

7. Milemaker13

Wow really? Is that what "dealer stock only" means on the websites?
    BTW, cool duck avatar. I wish the duck we looked at met our needs because my kid loved the duck! Ran up and hugged the side of the camper and said bye bye to the duckie when we left.

8. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

And let's not forget that Jayco shutdown Starcraft.

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Yep, dealer stock only means they aren’t making any more, so it’s just what’s left on the lots.

https://www.rvtravel.com/jayco-halts-production-of-folding-trailers/

When I bought my pup the guy said they had an old duck decoy that they used to always take and put on the picnic table as a mascot but he couldn’t find it when I picked it up. I’m not going to lie, I was a little bummed as that would have been a fun tradition to keep up.

Our first pup was a ‘66 Apache Raven with a gold body. When my son was young he called it “the bus” because of the color.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  10. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Yep, Jayco stopped production of their pop ups. Only a matter of time after Thor bought the family business. Thor is said to be anti-pop up trailer.
    Read here
    Doesn't surprise me, the 10SD models and the 12SC were made like garbage with walls and floors having gaps to the outside world, which would lead real fast to major water damage. Interior and cabinetry I don't think could be made any cheaper. Hek, even the bunk ends wouldn't pull out or push in easily, and couldn't even get the roof down without salesman sitting and jumping on the roof! He even said he recommends against them now, as they are being built like garbage.

I can't wonder why there's no demand. Seems like they did it on purpose to just kill pop up manufacturing. Years ago, they were top quality even if I didn't feel they were designed as good as my previous 2007 Starcraft 2406 (when Starcraft was still operated as separate company before the Recession). But that was just lifter design, stove/sink design, and the short dinette design. While I didn't like any of it, it was at least built as good as anything else, and didn't cheap on interior or cabinetry as they do now. What a shame.

Aliner tent trailer, the Somerset, is still available, but hardly. They only make a few floorplans and don't really sell them anywhere where most people have access to them. Because of that, I don't even consider them as an available Pop Up to buy.

You have Forest River corporation's pop ups, the Coachmen Clipper and Viking clones under the Coachmen camper brand and the Rockwood and Flagstaff clones under the Forest River camper brand. Forest River's other brand Palomino, had a pop up but they stopped production over a year ago.

Then you have all of those tents on wheels that are good for motorcycles and Toyota Prius' but they aren't Pop Ups but tents on trailers with soft tops and sides, and no cabinetry or indoor kitchens.

Slim pickings for pop up campers now. It's really just Forest River with their Clipper/Viking and Rockwood/Flagstaff pop ups now.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  11. Milemaker13

Thats a shame.