Who knew what would come our way

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by fourhallatts, Dec 1, 2017.

1. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

The day after thanksgiving we were minding our own business when a friend of my dh called us. He was wondering how serious we were about not getting another dog (our dog Skittles recently died and we decided no more dogs). Well that plan is dust. My dh's friend knew someone who could no longer keep their dog and would be taking it to a shelter if no one took her. We were his last resort. She is a 1.5 year old great perenese. I couldn't let that happen so now we will be getting a new member of our family on Sunday. Her name is Katie and I am hoping she will enjoy camping with us. Great Perenese are dogs that are used to protect livestock, so they tend to wander. I'm hoping we can train her to stay close and not wander off.

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Count your self lucky. Perenese are gentle and great companions. Was lucky enough to have one.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Funny how that seems to happen. Great Perenese do tend to be protective as well so will need to be trained. I had a boarder collie that was protective and a herding dog. However she felt her place was with the "flock" so never wandered past a certain distance. When camping I trained her respect the boundary and she only barked if someone crossed over it or got too close. Although I could trust her to not wander she did tend to try and herd kids especially if they ran or rode their bike. To a non dog person they always felt she is biting them. So I had to keep her on leash when walking her. Exercise was a huge key in her training. Good luck. With training anything is possible but do remember there are going to be some traits that are just part of the breed.

4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Someone sent me this after one of my Malamutes died a few years ago....
    [​IMG]

terry1419, XKPin, Bowman3d and 5 others like this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Really Good thanks for sharing all our dogs and cats are shelter or rescues

6. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Congrats.!
    Hopefully you can talk to the previous owner and get a gauge of how protective this dog is. this were bred to be independent and defend livestock. they are big too. so you might have to recondition the dog to not react in a campground and noises. My dog even after being out camping when she was 9 weeks old gets a little anxious in the spring when we start camp and she is suddenly walking in the dark with campfires and noises.

Easy the dog into camping...Bach Rescue Remedy Pet . get a bottle and if you see the anxiety level peeking give him a few drops in a cookie. You can even put a few drops in his water bowl when you get him to help in his transition.

7. fourhallatts

20180209_211833.jpg 20171205_152916.jpg I thought it would be a good time to give an update on our new family member. Katie has settled in pretty well so far. I had forgotten how difficult a young dog can be (doors closed when we leave and stuff on the furniture so she can't make it her own) but we are persevering. She enjoys being outside after dark and sometimes refuses to come in. She loves to play (especially with anything plastic). She seems to have an aversion to paper/cardboard. She will rip it up into tiny pieces then abandons it. No trash can is safe (we keep our kitchen trash under the sink) every morning at least one is dumped over and emptied out. Fortunately it only has paper in it. Luckily she stays in the yard (no jumping the fence). She has snuck out twice when the gate was left open but she knows where she lives and returns to it. She does have one quirk. When she is playing with my ds (he is 17 and 6'1), she will wrap her front paws around his leg as if she is trying to take him down. We are looking forward to the nice weather so we can get her outside to play (and bark). Her bark is quite menacing. I am also looking forward to taking her to my in-laws camp (we do not take our pets to campgrounds, since we usually camp at places with amusement parks where we spend our days). Thanks for reading, here are some pics of Katie.

jnc, silverfz and DJS12354 like this.
  8. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

She is in a new spot so anxiety is common. get her some bully sticks or bones to chew on. Its a great way to channel anxiety for dogs. give her one in the evening to chew for a bit.
    good luck.

9. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean Member

She's a beautiful girl.

10. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Our dog has an aversion to paper too and shreds it and leaves it. We give her bills.

jnc likes this.
  11. fourhallatts

Thanks! She is a good dog but still has alot of puppy in her.
    We are paperless for most bills but maybe junk mail, we get a ton of that![LOL]

12. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

And she is a beautiful girl :) goes without saying but it is always nice to hear.