Who lives near Zion, Ill and can check out a pup?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by MIlover, Sep 17, 2013.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

Hello all,

We just sold our pup *cue happy/sad dance.* I'm now seeking a late-model Coleman Bayside CP in great condition. There is a pup that seems to fit the bill (2010 Bayside CP) at Kramer's Kampers in Zion, Ill., which is a five-hour one-way trip from our home. If it really is a great pup, we are OK with the trip. However, we'd love if someone from the area could look it over for us (not an in-depth inspection, but just a visual check to confirm that it looks nice and there are no obvious defects).

The last couple weeks, I've been in sporadic contact with Kramer's Kampers via phone and email. However, they have been terrible at following up with me. I don't understand it (what Midwest dealer doesn't want to sell a pup in the fall?!), but suspect it's because they didn't want to take my trade, which is what I originally requested. Now we've sold our pup, so that's not an issue.

If you live nearby and are willing to check it out, please PM me. Thanks!

2. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

FWIW, I haven't heard good things about any small dealerships in that area..... I'm across the border and north. Try 'efehser' or 'ghacker'.... [2C]

3. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks. I will message them. I already wasted five hours of driving one day after traveling to a small dealership in northern MI, where the salesman completely misrepresented a pup. [:(!] Don't want a repeat scenario...

4. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

We bought our PUP from Kramer's and they're a great family to deal with.

Sorry they've not been responsive to you - maybe it's because you're all the way over in MI.

Anyway FWIW, they were a Coleman/Fleetwood/Coleman PUP dealer before the factory went under.

I know that they have some 'old' never titled PUP's there, maybe that's what you're looking at.

They also carry Viking and Somerset PUPs now, in addition to all the other tow behinds that they sell.

I'd like to help you out, but the next 2 months of weekends for us are all booked with various activities.

Good luck to you.

WL

5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

MIlover, a shame you didn't post yesterday. Was up in WI for work today and drove within 10 min. of Kramers. Outside chance I'll be up there again on Thurs. but after that I don't know. Could be awhile. I'll let you know.

FWIW, I looked at a '03 Bayside up there 4 yrs. ago when I bought my '06 Bayside. They're a pretty friendly bunch and they were knowledgable about the Bayside since they were a Coleman dealer at the time. They obviously were trying to make a sale, but didn't misrepresent anything. I could only get them to move $500 on a asking price of $6500 so don't expect miracles. I've bought some parts and general RV stuff from them with no issues. This summer I had them replace the original A/C gasket and strip/recaulk the roof rails as a preventive measure. Charged what I thought was a fair price. No problems with either work as far as functionality but next time I'll do the roof rails myself. Their guy had to be new. It was sloppy work.

You might want to PM Packman. He bought that '03 I considered. IIRC he's very happy with the experience. I know he had them install an A/C and was happy with the work and price.

BTW, the pics on that '10 Bayside show the rear bunkend which doesn't look right. Hopefully their guy just didn't extend the Shepards pole when he set it up.

Finally, be patient. You're hitting the market at just the right time for a good deal. I bought my '06 just about this time 4 yrs. ago for $6500 at House of Camping in Oak Lawn on the southwest side of town. Don't think they realized what they had. Or maybe it was a consignment sale. They focus on TTs and 5th wheels judging from the lot. IMHO, they do try to play games. When I tried to buy it at their asking price on my 2nd visit, they said it had been sold and just waiting for the financing to go through. Next day I get a call and say the guy didn't qualify and when I go in they tried to up the price $500. Told them forget it and started to walk away. Suddenly the price was back to $6500.

6. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks. That's good to know. It is a pre-owned pup; that much I found out during a phone conversation. They claim the PO took great care of it.

Darn! I thought about posting yesterday, but wanted to make sure our old pup sold before potentially wasting someone's time. As for the price - umm, if they only come down $500 I won't be buying that pup - perfect or not. I have a limit in mind and am not willing to pay top dollar on a Coleman if it's that close in price to a new Somerset.

Yes! Thank you for reminding me to ask about it. I saw that in the photo too, and assumed someone was lazy about putting up the shepard's pole, but it's definitely something to check.

7. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

It looks like a nice pup.

8. justin.kerns

justin.kerns Member

Some more options all within a 5 hour radius.....

2008 Utah in Kalamazoo - asking $7800
    http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/rvs/4037457812.html

2007 Utah in Kalamazoo - asking $7750:
    http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/rvs/4008700895.html

2008 Bayside in Central MI - asking $7000:
    http://nmi.craigslist.org/rvs/4069635317.html

2007 Utah in Dayton - asking $6995:
    http://www.rvt.com/2007-Fleetwood-Coleman%20Utah-Dayton-Ohio-for-sale-ID4847267.htm

2008 Utah in Delmont, PA - no price listed:
    http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2008-Fleetwood-Utah-108575801

2007 Bayside in Crestwood, KY - asking $6500:
    http://louisville.craigslist.org/rvs/4015831977.html

2008 Bayside in Ellwood City, PA - asking $6695:
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/rvd/4010811387.html

2007 Utah in Cincinnati - asking $7595:
    http://dayton.craigslist.org/rvd/4061908362.html

9. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks Justin. I have seen a lot of the Utah's posted, but am hoping to hold out for a Bayside, unless I find a great deal on a beautiful Utah. I'm not sure I want to make the drive to KZoo to look at one, but maybe... Funny thing about the MI Bayside listing - it's the same pup I recently wasted a drive on. The owner took it back from consignment at the dealership and is selling it himself now. He described as "excellent" with no damage. Well, I've seen first hand that's not true. No thanks. [:(O]

Part of the fun is the hunt, right?

10. justin.kerns

justin.kerns Member

I honestly thought the Bayside in KY looked like a good prospect. I don't think it's any further than Zion but I'm not 100% where you are in MI.

Good luck!

11. MIlover

MIlover Member

You're right. It does look nice. However, it's closer to a six-hour drive for us. I think five hours one way, is our max. We also would prefer not to have AC - especially with a filon roof. I know many people wouldn't camp without it, but to us, AC = one more hole in the roof that could leak! I really do appreciate the links though. :)

I'm still trying to work with Kramers. DH and I realized this weekend is probably the best opportunity for us to make the trip if it's what we want. I called Kramer's again yesterday and wanted to make an offer (contingent on final inspection). The woman I spoke to said I needed to speak with someone else, but that she would call back momentarily. That never happened. Again, it's like they don't care if they make a sale? I found an online review that complained about the same thing - said Kramer's staff were nice and seemed honest, but terrible about following up with customers. If they really are a reputable family business, it's a shame they aren't better with communication. We will see.

12. MIlover

MIlover Member

Well, I finally spoke to Kramers Kampers again and made my offer, which they flat out refused. I asked the best they could do, and was told "We're asking $10,000." No budging at all. $10,000 is above Nada on the unit, and it's fall, and I know they've had it at least a month, if not longer.

Back to the drawing board. I was not impressed with them, at all.

13. justin.kerns

justin.kerns Member

That's a bummer! Perhaps the Bayside in Ellwood City, PA is worth calling on? Decent price and no further than Zion.....

It doesn't have AC but it is at a dealer so perhaps you can negotiate them adding it for a good price.

I can't buy a PUP yet so I'm living vicariously through you. Hope you don't mind! [:)C]

14. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

The way I look at it with the economy coming back there should be a good amount of used campers coming on the market. I'm no expert but it would make sense.

15. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

MIlover, sorry it didn't work out. Somewhat surprised they wouldn't budge at all. Maybe the fact it was over the phone and not in person had something to do with it. In any event, there's still a lot of PUPs out there and since the season is ending up North, a lot will start going on the market. Be patient and you'll find the one you want at a good price. Good luck.

16. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

10K for an '08? They're on drugs. The fall RV shows are just around the corner (Novi is in Oct) and many dealers at least have pictures of the used inventory. That's how we found our Bayside, at an RV show on the used units board. [:D]

17. MIlover

MIlover Member

Feel free to live vicariously through me. Just be glad you started now, and not when we bought our first pup, the leaky Jayco. [:D]

We actually don't want AC. A unit without AC is our preference. Crazy to some, I know.

I'll look at the PA Bayside ad again. Though to be honest, it looked a little suspect to me. Something about the grainy photos, rust streaks running down the rear light... I know it may sound picky, but I would not justify driving that far unless I expected a really nice pup.

Friar, it was a 2010. I don't think their list price was out of the norm, but I can't imagine they will actually sell it for that. I'll keep the Novi RV show in mind...

And I'm off to scour Craig's List again...