who tows with a nissan frontier

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by daveB, Apr 7, 2016.

1. daveB

daveB Member

I have a 2011 nissan frontier crew cab,long bed, 4.0 v6. what do you tow with yours and do you feel safe towing with it.

2. keithert

keithert Member

I have a 16 Tacoma which is quite similar. I pulled my Coleman Niagara with it and it did well. I had a Frontier before the Tacoma and felt the Frontier was a bit more powerful. You will need to add a brake controller to the Frontier if your camper has brakes.

3. WingShot

WingShot New Member

I have a similar 2012 Frontier V6 4.0, but with the short bed. Max tow capacity of 6000#'s.

Tow one of the heavier small PU's, a Coleman Evolution1, GVWR of 3500#'s. And we are at that weight.

Pull it into the Rocky Mountains on a regular basis with no issues. Definitely need the trailer breaks working for coming down the hills, but they do a good job. We're boondockers, so haul in a full tank of water, 2 - 20# propane tanks, group 27 battery, and a smaller generator. Don't think I would feel very comfortable with much more weight pushing me around.

4. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

I'm also towing with a 2011 Frontier crew cab, long bed. I love it. Better mpg then the RAV4 I had. No need for a WD kit in my case. Installing the tow kit was a breeze , hitch, brake controller (Tekonsha P2), relays, can been done in 1hour in your laneway. I'm towing a 2006 Jayco 1006, no sweat.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 9 en utilisant Tapatalk

5. R00

R00 Active Member

Work is all they know...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's probably about a 2200# loaded camper, and maybe 300 in the bed. Barely know it's there.

6. daveB

daveB Member

looking at a 20ft tt with a gvrw of 4500lbs and is curious if anyone pulled that weight.have the brake controller already.

7. R00

R00 Active Member

That's a fat trailer for a Frontier.

It's rated to pull it, but you're going to be taking your time getting there, and it won't be a pleasant tow. I think the biggest issue you'd have is the frontal area on the trailer acting as a huge wall, and being 20' long, you might end up with a tail wagging the dog situation.

I would look into a full size truck or a smaller trailer.

8. daveB

daveB Member

owners manual restricts frontage to 60sq ft max and I have looking at 7ft wide campers.wife doesn't like crawling on the floor or opening up to fill fridge.doesn't bother me though.happy wife,happy life

9. utah steve

utah steve New Member

I tow a Coleman Utah, with 2012 Frontier,crew cab. Hardly know it's back there. I need to add sway control, because it sways at 65.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

10. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

I've not towed with a Frontier, but we tow our Roo 19 GVWR 4750 with a 2006 Tacoma. It's not fast and the mileage really takes a hit, but it handles much better than I expected. In fact, it tows better than out Jayco 1209sc did. A WDH and sway bars really make a difference.