Who uses trailer showers over the campground facilities?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Canoe2fish, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

For those of you who have pup or small TT equipped with an indoor or outdoor shower, do you bother to use them if the park has decent facilities? (The shower, not toilet)

We have never seen terrible facilities in any park we have stayed at. I would think it would be a royal PITA to set up and use the cramped showers in a pup or TT. Further, would the moisture/humidity inside the trailer not be a problem?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our TT have one of the tiny bathrooms, with a teeny shower pan in front of the toilet. At first, we thought we'd use it occasionally. After living with the space, it will only be used in dire necessity.
    Besides room to move, there is the need to remove all non-shower item and replace them ones things dry. Plus, the times it would be most handy would be our base camped trips where we stay in one spot for a week or so. Most have no dump stations, so no chance of emptying tanks during our stay. The gray water tank is 30 gallons, we get close to filling it with sink usage.
    There are lots of cautions on moisture inside the campers, so we figure we needn't add to the mess.
    We often need to go in search of showers, though the state and national parks this year had them

3. pjnlorrie

pjnlorrie Member

Agree that most parks have decent showers. However, for safety reasons many limit the temp of the hot water. OK in summer time, but when the water is lukewarm and the air temp is <70 it is nice to take a hot shower in our TT. Also, the wife and I are not large people. I can see where the TT showers would be miserable for big folks. Moisture is no problem, most TTs have vent fans in the bath.
    What is great is when you are in an area where the CGs do not have shower facilities, as is the case in many arid regions or most National parks. Constantly looking at camping options based on available facilities can take much of the fun out of camping.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I personally would use the campground facilities and the camper shower to wash feet or something quick (assuming I had one). That is if the facilities are decent. After staying at a campground with down right nasty facilities I was wishing the whole time I had the shower/toilet in the camper. My little side kick however hates taking showers that are shared outside of family to the point of refusing to go. It's extremely difficult taking her camping with me unless my parents and their monster trailer come too. My next trailer I believe is going to have to come with something unless I don't mind a stinky/ grungey kid and the endless complaints for being in such a state longer then a couple days. She is very finicky so when she comes with me I have to give in to some things. After all spending time with her is more important.

5. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Our first couple of pop-ups did not have showers. With the 2nd one, we used a portable outdoor shower system that worked well in warm weather.

However, I wanted an indoor shower and decided for our 3rd and now 4th trailer, not having a bathroom was deal breaker. Yes, they are a bit small - but I'm not a big gal and my kids aren't that big, so it is fine for us. However, DH at 6' usually uses the bathhouse. I've never had an issue with moisture. I like the fact that I can pack my stuff, find a site, hook up and have everything right there that I need. And schlepping to the bathhouse in super hot or very cold weather is not at all appealing. YMMV.

6. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

I use the campground shower wife will use the pups shower she likes the privacy and everthing is there nothing to carry back and forth.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My TT has a smaller shower. I use it with no problems.

8. RetAF

RetAF Member

My wife and I use the shower in our PUP almost exclusively. Big enough, works great and we don't have to haul things to the bathhouse.

9. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

I never looked at it as schlepping to the bathhouse. I've always looked at it as walking to the bathhouse with a smile knowing there is one less thing I have to deal with when I pack up to hit the road.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I had one PUP that had a small shower, I removed it and made a cabinet to fit in the space. We use the campground baths. Another thing about the little teeny tiny showers is you get water all over the floor and it heats the inside of the PUP. Is not worth all the trouble.

11. NW_Dale

NW_Dale Member

We recently camped at a campground that had a broken hot water tank, so no hot showers. I couldn't bring myself to do that so I washed up in our pup finishing up by washing my hair with the outside shower we have on our Clipper. I felt like I had a real shower, so no complaints. So i guess being more self-contained is a good thing. It's funny that until then the only things we had washed with the outside shower were our dogs!

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Originally I didn't use my shower for many of the reasons the opposition group has stated. Then I got to darian lakes SP in New York last year. The bath houses were so nasty I never stepped into them the second time. It was on that trip that I learned how easy and convenient my bathroom was to use and care for. Dumping takes a minimal effort and amount of time. Cleaning doesn't take long at all. As for humidity, that is why you have a power vent in your bathrooms/pups.

People that insist on being minimalists will find negative things to say about anything. I say if you have it and want to use it, go for it and enjoy every minute of it. For trips of 5 days or less I rarely use cg showers anymore.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When we had the pup we exclusively used the campground showers even thou we had an outside shower.. Problem with it was the shower sat just down from the outside stove on the curbside which was a pita when it came to setting up a shower tent under the awning..

With the TT, we use both the campground showers and the small shower in the trailer.. One of the things we like is we can now book sites that are further away from the bath houses and if we don't feel like doing the trek we just use the TT shower..

14. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

My DD used the shower in the PUP once. She said it was okay but preferred the campground showers. I did a mod on the drain for the shower and sink. Sink drain is on drivers side and shower drain on passenger side. I rigged up a pipe connecting the two under the PUP with a few removable parts. Never tried it yet, maybe some day I will just to test it out.

15. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

DW prefers to shower the kids in the PUP shower. Some CGs have showers with push water valves - push it on and it stays on for a minute. Some have 1/4 turn, spring return valves that close right away. Plus, the hose shower head makes showering kids much easier.

As for the adults, we use the shower house - we like water pressure.

16. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

The shower is very handy if the CG facilities are out of service or nasty. We need to fix ours (lots of leaks) to have it ready just in case. We used it once when the CG had very unsanitary facilities. The leaking took the pleasure out of it, but we could see the advantages. Hope to get it sealed up for use.

17. shfd739

shfd739 Member

We pretty much use our pup shower exclusively. Actually I can't remember the last time i used a campground shower.

I took my dad with me to the Toyota Jamboree in April(3 days of off-roading) and we boondocked with the pup. He gave me a hard time about having to use the pup shower and "sailor shower". Our first morning when faced with a 10min drive to the showers and then having to wait in line he tried the pup shower. He loved it.

The convenience of having our own little hot shower right there makes it worth the minor issues or annoyances of having to set it up.

18. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Interesting to hear of the perspectives. We always camp at provincial parks who's facilities are almost always great. Saying that, we avoid the super busy parks because we like the choice lots and quiet. I shower at night so there is no lineups by that time. I also enjoy the walk to the comfort station.

At this point I don't feel the need for a shower equipped pup, but if our camping evolves into more long distance travelling where Provincial park stopovers are not in the cards, I can see the virtue in having an equipped trailer. If we are doing that kind of travelling, I can see it not being an option we'd ditch the pup for a TT and just about all TT's come with showers now unless we buy a T@B or similar teardrop/clamshell

19. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

If there are free showers, we use the CG ones. More room and much better water pressure.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Even in some of the lessor popular parks you still get line ups, specially at night time.. I found the best time to use the showers at Grundy was mid afternoon, not the ideal time to shower but no line ups.. Or get to the showers by 6 am because from about 7 am until 11 am they are constantly in use..

Another reason we went to the darkside, we wanted to travel further (towing for up to 8 hours per day) and wanted to be completely self contained if we had to stop somewhere along the way...