whole system water filter...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by suprz, Jun 5, 2011.

1. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

after my most recent camping adventure....I was thinking about installing a "whole house" water filtration system. Has anyone does this on their PUP? I am currently using the type that screws onto the water hose. I dont know what kind of protection that gives, but like i said after this last trip....I really want to know the water is safe

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I wonder if the pump will be happy about having a filter in the line.

3. suprz

Good question, but it must be able to take the pressure, i believe they make them for RV's

4. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

I use a whole house filter setup when connected to campground water. I just place it in-line before it enters the pup. If we are using the tank that is in the pup, we just don't drink the water from the tank. We use bottled.
    ms

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The pump will not know the difference as to wheather there is or is not a filter in the line, as long as you don't let the filter plug up from lack of maintenance. The little in line screw on filters don't have a large capacity when compaired to the whole house type. I know that I only change the filter element twice a year for my house.
    Why wouldn't you use water from your tank?

6. huizarr

huizarr Member

Our Rockwood HW296 has an inline cartridge filter that will filter the water either from city connection or the water pump.

7. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

We don't drink water from our tank or the campground. Maybe I'm just making something of nothing but I've had the Montezuma's Revenge from bad water...no thanks. Talk about ruining a trip. Bottled water is cheap, portable, and tastes pretty good. Call it cheap insurance.

8. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

I do sanitize the tank, I just worry a bit about it. I just don't want to risk ruining a trip over water.....
    ms

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I too sanitize the tank, and don't worry about it. The only thing I use the water for is to cook/wash dishes with. Other than that water is good for bathing and swimming.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

11. suprz

I like that set up, but I would want a filter that can take of ALOT more bad stuff (after my last outing..) ...dont know if they make one that could be portable...

12. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

you could go as axtravagant as you want really. to have pure RO/DI (reverse osmosis de-ionized)h20 the filter is about $200 or so off the net. it will produce labratory grade pure water. VERY slow production rates and high amount of waste water going down the drain.

if i was you and very concerned about the water quality id be drinking then i would look into aquarium filters for saltwater tanks. or, install the filter at home and fill bottles/jugs/holding tank before you leave.

thats for truely pure water. you can always make a series of cannisters for various media to remove specific items.

i prefer "thefilterguys.biz"

hope this help!

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

The filter we use removes a lot of different things as well as chemicals. I purchased the filter at Home Depot so you can check it out there. R/O filters are good, but without going super $$$ they will produce only so much filtered water per day. If you are really concerned about drinking water then I would either buy containers of water or purchase water containers and fill them at home and bring them with you.

Here is a R/O system that Home Depot sells that seems reasonable. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202073853/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It only will filter 11 gallons per day.

14. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

I don't drink there water. One time we were at a camp ground and they were putting in a clean-out on the sewer at the bathroom. Well The backhoe tore into the water line while the sewer was open causing a cross connection..They put it all back together and turn the water back on with out following the procedure of stabilizing the system That how you can get sick or worse yet diseases. They had now Idea or didn't care. Sterilizing your tank before you left your house would not of done any good..