who's bought a craiglist camper

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by dav1966, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Last year I picked up a 2000 Rockwood Freedom 1940 for $2200 off CL. It is/was in great shape and no problems with it;)

spygirl likes this.
  2. drocks

drocks Member

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. We've bought and sold one on CL. Bought our 2008 Niagara in 2014 from a couple two hours away. After talking with them, we discovered that they had only use the trailer 8-10 times and it had been sitting in storage for about two years before we bought it. Ironically, it was stored at the former long time Coleman dealer we had bought our 1996 Shenandoah from new in 1997.

spygirl likes this.
  3. DesertRed

DesertRed Member

I say Scam on this one. Google Paypal Craigslist scam. It happens. Also the "I have a mover" thing is a tip off.

spygirl likes this.
  4. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

I've sold my PUP on Craigslist and found checking prices on CL is a good source. To date my purchases have come from a neighbor salesman finding us our Yuma and 8 years later our Sun Valley from an RV Trader ad and driving about 300 miles to get it.

5. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

I spotted our A-Liner Sport on Chicago c/l we live in mid-mo. I sent him an email he sent his p/nr we talked a little I got him to come down some. We left the next am for his home when we got there someone had sent him an email wanting it before us but he didn't get the email. He told us when we got there and that he was living up to his word.

Great guy great camper we are grateful!!

6. Alan

Alan Active Member

We bought our 2003 Westlake from some great people, last year for $3,300.00. They were asking $3,800.00 for it which was high book value. The guy raised it, hooked up power, lit the water heater, refrigerator and tried to make everything work. It needed a battery and the water heater didn't stay lit so, he reduced the price $500.00. The trailer looks new on the inside. I was a little disappointed with the exterior but with a little tender care and a lot of cleaning, it too looks great.

7. Alan

Alan Active Member

Awesome!

8. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Reviving an old thread:

Curious as to the keywords people used to find their trailer.

What did you use? I ask so I can maximize my searches.

Popup trailer
    Pop up trailer
    Popup camper

Am I missing any?

Thanks

9. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Sometimes they're called folding trailers, or expandables. I have been using manufacturer names, such as StarCraft, Coleman, Fleetwood, and Jayco, then using the gallery view. The thumbnails allow me to scan 100 ads in a couple of minutes.

Turbulent likes this.
  10. Alan

Alan Active Member

I have always called them tent trailers...that's where I started in my searches.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Also, fold-down trailers

12. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Thanks Everyone!

I came across this: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tro/d/starcraft-2108-tent-trailer/6441753818.html

Its exactly the dimension and layout I've been looking for. I'm trying hard to not get ahead of myself, but it looks well kept. Theyre asking $4800 for a 2008 Starcraft 2108 model. If I contact him, Im thinking 4 even.

I dug a little into the Nada pricing and added some of the features listed on the add at it comes in around $4,600 avg retail. (is M-2108 the same model as the one in CL?)
    http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2008/Starcraft/M-2108/6006481/Values

• What do you think about the price?
    • I noticed the front wheel is missing and its standing on blocks (is this removed to avoid stealing?)
    • Its about 1 1/2 hour drive so Id definitely want to go see it and have them demo everything.

13. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Looks nice from the pics. Definitely seems worth a look! I would guess the wheel is gone just to make it easier to level on that driveway. On mine, the wheel just slides in to the end of the pole. We just slide it out when towing and put it back in when we get where we're going, so maybe that one slides out too.

Price I would say all depends on your area, time of year, and how similar campers are priced. Just have to decide if you feel it's a good deal compared to similar campers currently for sale in your area. Easier said than done right?

14. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I also meant to tell you about a website called Searchtempest.com. It's a site where you can search all of Craigslist within a certain distance from you. I use it all the time and usually search "pop up camper."

MaeKay and Turbulent like this.
  15. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Thanks! That site helps a lot

16. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

i freaking bought it!!!

Seller detailed every single thing and even pointed out the two minor repairs hes made on the canvas. We went through lighting the furnace pilot, water pump, AC, raising and lowering, propane bleeding of lines, to do maintenance, mods he added (like fans behind the fridge/ cig plug / new circuit board /new awning).

I think I got a good deal considering going prices of older models/location/nada (with only options added).

Clean title and permanent plates.

the family is stoked!

kitphantom and eoleson1 like this.
  17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Congrats.

18. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We need pictures or it didn't happen![:D]

19. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

I simply type in "pop" and search all nearby areas. Don't forget to search both RV and trailer sections.

20. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I joined several state outdoor themed Facebook groups. Snagged my 2007 Jayco 1206 for $2k. $5,000 below retail

myride likes this.