Who's making the highest quality pop ups now-days?

zimm17

Nov 19, 2014
As the title says. Who's making the best quality pop ups on the market right now?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Unfortunately they are pretty much all poor Quality right now. The best thing to go by is floorplan and features you are looking for. Manufacturers slap these things together quickly with cheapest parts available. Even a new camper expect to look them over carefully and refuse to sign anything if something doesn’t look right.

O'ville

Unfortunately they are pretty much all poor Quality right now. The best thing to go by is floorplan and features you are looking for. Manufacturers slap these things together quickly with cheapest parts available. Even a new camper expect to look them over carefully and refuse to sign anything if something doesn’t look right.
I agree. I looked at getting a new PUP a couple years back and was shocked on build quality. I ended up just keeping my 2003 Utah. I've had almost no issues with it over the years other then the famous front storage leak, which was fixed. Did some upgrades, floor, added a radio, new hardware on the doors and drawers nothing serious.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
As far as general manufacturers, these days they seem to be about the same, for all types of campers. Complaints abound across the board from popups to the big RVs.
Some of the high-end and/or expedition type campers seem to have fewer complaints. Whether they are better made or there are just that many fewer made is a guess.
With entry level campers, I think it has been basic construction for years. When the combination of a huge surge in interest in camping and the related jump in demand, reduced workforce due to Covid, and supply line issues, things just seem a bit worse than in the past.
Another thing I see, say with the brand of TT we have, is that people are expecting champagne quality on a beer budget, as the saying goes. When we bought ours in the fall of '14, we had the advantage of having renovated our first popup and done some mods on our second, and understood that we were buying a low/medium range camper which was going to be shaken as we traveled many miles. Doesn't mean we didn't get frustrated with a couple of issues, but we didn't expect 100% perfection.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
Long before covid, campers in general are not built for long term and PUP's fall into that category as well. If a 8K camper was made to last 20 years (all bogus numbers) it might then cost 16K. Who's willing to pay extra???

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Short answer None.. Even those $70k 5th wheels are built like crap and have been for years before covid struck..

If you are looking for something decent, look at least 17 to 25 years old.. this was back when makes like Palomino, Coleman (though it was more just a trusted name stuck on a trailer), Jayco and a few others were still independent manufacturers or allowed to operate independently of their actual parent company.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
Short answer None.. Even those $70k 5th wheels are built like crap and have been for years before covid struck..

If you are looking for something decent, look at least 17 to 25 years old.. this was back when makes like Palomino, Coleman (though it was more just a trusted name stuck on a trailer), Jayco and a few others were still independent manufacturers or allowed to operate independently of their actual parent company.
I'm not conceived that 20yo machines are any better. They will certainly have weather and age issues to fix!

bearpencove

Jun 27, 2022
NW Georgia
As the title says. Who's making the best quality pop ups on the market right now?
I agree whole-heartedly with the above replies. We have a 2021 Flagstaff bought new. We already have had issues with leaks and jacks. Just know you will have problems regardless of brand and it will take a few nights out camping, in rain to pin point issues.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
I'm not conceived that 20yo machines are any better. They will certainly have weather and age issues to fix!

I know more people with trailers of all types made in the past 10 years and newer and the list of problems range from leaks causing rotted floors, to cupboard doors falling apart, to appliances needing to be replaced... Many of these people had close to or older then 20 year trailers previously with little to no issues.. but how an older trailer was cared for is a big factor..

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
I know our 2013 isn't made well, but when I think about it as a glorified tent I'm ok with it. We bought it used last year and I had some time to really go through it I realized that they put them together as cheap as possible, but again... just a tent with AC/heat.

Would never buy one new. As someone else pointed out, I went with the floorplan I wanted and then searched from there... manufacturer really didn't matter.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
But when you buy a 2013 auto, you are still dealing with whatever parts that weather or deteriorate from UV weather it was driven or not. New ones may not be better built but at least they haven't strated to deteriorate and the seals fail.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
We bought a 2009 Rockwood HW 296, it has had its problems. However as stated above it is a tent with a lot of fancy. We camp a lot, A LOT, some roads traveled are not roads really, others are barely roads, and Interstates are, well you know, not really good either. Said that to say this, the torsional stresses on our units are quite damaging. We check, recheck all fasteners, attachment points, alignments, hardware, software, on both camp unit, and TV. Upkeep, and maintenance are the keys to keeping our units in tiptop order. As I have stated before, for those that have seen my other posts my DW, and I enjoy our unit. We see everything as a part of living & life, we repair as a team, enjoy the camp as we are headed to the finish line of life. Also as stated above, buy a unit that suits your wants and needs, new or used, make yourself happy. Make your Family happy, love the camp. Shake off the crazy, relax, enjoy each day that you can get away from the everyday. Remember, reduce stress, camping is the best thing to facilitate that end. Enjoy the camp. See you on the trail.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
But when you buy a 2013 auto, you are still dealing with whatever parts that weather or deteriorate from UV weather it was driven or not. New ones may not be better built but at least they haven't strated to deteriorate and the seals fail.

If you can afford it then sure, why not. Our 2013 PUP was $6k. A new PUP is what? $15-20k?

Edit: Just looked up my floor plan in a 2022... $19,999.00!!!

Last edited: