Why a Hybrid and not a Travel Trailer?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by TKnecht, Jun 26, 2010.

When you moved "up", why did you choose a hybrid over a travel trailer?

1. Cost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Weight

40.3%
  3. My "camping" roots

22.4%
  4. The chachet of being "different".

3.0%
  5. Other

34.3%
  1. TKnecht

TKnecht "Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most peo

Moving from a tent to a popup can be a challenge. But, it can be rationalized because it's still "like camping". Moving to a larger unit -- and, hence, farther away from one's camping roots -- can be a more difficult decision. So, if you chose a hybrid, why did you choose it instead of a travel trailer? Make your selection from the above choices, and add any further explanation you feel necessary.

2. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

I had planned to go straight to a TT after the popup, but deep down, I still liked the open feeling of the canvas bunkends. For size, it's great. With both bunks deployed, my trailer is 29'1" but tows about 4 ft shorter.
    With our floorplan & our family, we can comfortably turtle, open 1 bunk, or open both. For us, it's like having the best of both worlds, although I like it best when front & back beds are opened & we're sleeping under canvas.

As for dealing with wet canvas if we're not turtled, it's not much of an issue for us since we store the trailer at home & can open it any time that we need to dry it out.

3. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

We don't even have a hybrid or a TT, but I like the idea of a hybrid over a TT because in my opinion it makes the most out of the space for a family with kids. I could never understand why (most) trailers and motor homes have a big bed in the bedroom and not another area designed for the kids to sleep.

If we were to look at travel trailers we would be very limited to which ones we could make the best use of. We have a 10 year old, a 3 year old, and one on the way. The sleeping arrangements would be an issue from the start.

What I'd like to find is a nice big fifth wheel with pop out beds on either side in the back. Maybe even a third off the back?
    Wife and I would get the "master" bedroom in front and the kids could have the kids bedroom in the back without the tightness of the little bunk beds the fifth wheels usually come with.
    That would still leave the mid section for a kitchen, dining, family room type area.

4. TKnecht

TKnecht "Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most peo

Wizfisher: I've seen TTs with the standard large bedroom in front and a bunk room in the back, designed especially for kids.

Also: A 10-year old, a 3-year-old, and one on the way? They know what causes that, now! :^)

5. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

My wife and I looked at 2 models a TT and Hydrid, the TT had a Queen bed slide out at the end and the front had double bunk beds and was 27'. The second was a hybrid with 3 fold outs and was 24' long. The one nice thing about the hybrid was it had more room (24' of living space) and was lighter than the TT it also slept more people. But we ended up buying a 98 Starcraft Pop. For us it came to storage. We didn't want to pay for storage. Paying a loan and storage is not something we wanted to do. We were able to buy the pop outright and store it in our garage. It also has the added benefit of being easier to tow. And the best part about this, I found the portal. If there would'nt have been a storage issue we would have gone for the Hybrid.

6. monkeyheadboy

monkeyheadboy New Member

We chose a 19ft hybrid because we were tired of cranking, pulling and dealing with the drop down door. With the canvas(vinyl)and zippered bunkend windows she still feels like she is in a pup. The hard sides are better for those bad weather days. Our kids are 17, 16 and 14 and they already don't want to go camping so as we downsize it's the perfect size for the 2 of us.

7. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I own a PUP also, but would like to move up someday to a Hybrid w/slideout. One reason is being able to pack without popping up. I also like the fact of a bigger fridge w/freezer compartment and a bathroom. I tow a PUP, but am still pulling over and using the rest areas bathrooms. If I had a hybrid, I could pull over and use my own bathroom! I think the hybrid gives you the tent camping feeling, but a little more features as mentioned previously.

I do love the PUP though. Easy to tow and store at the house.

8. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

We still have a pop up, but have been looking lately at other options. We've decided to move up to a hybrid when we find the right deal. I love our PUP, but the setting up and tearing down is starting to wear me out. We want the conveniences of a TT, but need the lighter weight of the hybrids. We won't have to change our TV to pull a 17' or 19' hybrid, but we'll still get everything we want in a camper.

I agree with others here when I say that I REALLY want a bathroom, and a bigger refrigerator that I can fill before we leave. Getting ready for a camping trip without having to pop up sounds great.

9. Red Rebels

Red Rebels New Member

Astro, We move to a Keystone Outback 28RSS and love it.

10. ilovecamping

ilovecamping New Member

Well we went the route of tents-several and all but one leaked, pups-2 used and one new with bath and slide out. We didn't have the new pup very long as our children quit camping with us the same year we got it. DH got overheated setting it up and we went straight to the dealer and picked out our hybrid. I loved that HTT but DH wanted a walk around bed but didn't want to tow much longer or heavier. Well we bought our current TT and it is lots heavier and although not much longer, we have not got enough space. Our DGD camps with us most of the time and she sleeps with me and DH gets the couch. I did offer to take the couch but he isn't like that. So he has decided that he would rather tow shorter and lighter and have a bed to sleep on. DGD and I are thrilled because we love the HTT's so much. It is so much more room and is more open. I am clostrophobic (sp) and I just was never happy with the TT. So our new Shamrock 23ss is on order and should be here next month sometime.

11. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We went through a lot of campers when we were in Atlanta, have to say that we would never have a TT. They are so dark. IMO HTT is the way to go! You have the openness of the bunk ends to let air flow through and the extra light makes so much of a difference. When the time is right and we can afford to move up, we will definately go with a HTT.

12. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot New Member

Same here. Love the Pup because it has made us realize how great camping is - and we're looking for a 21' hybrid when some $ can be saved. For us the prime reason is length - even the difference between 24' and a 21' is huge. And a distant second reason is weight.

13. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    "Canvas", plain and simple.

I want to be part of the camping experience, which for me started with tents. A TT can't provide that.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

weight and saving floor space. I have a 21' hybrid trailer and have full use of my interior floor space. I don't loose 5-6' to a bed up front. Just like the pop up's, having the beds hang off the end gives you more useable floor space.

15. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I've been to many RV shows and have been in plenty of hybrids.
    The one thing I don't like about them are the small beds! I've never seen anything larger than a double bed in one. None of the bybrid beds I've seen look very compfortable.

16. ilovecamping

ilovecamping New Member

The HTT we had, had 2 queen beds, as does the one we have ordered. We think the mattresses are fairly comfy and will probably add a topper/foam to ours. If you are tall, you will find most beds in TT are shorter than the ones in the HTTs.

17. Agcflash

Agcflash Lets Go Camping!!!

We chose ours because you are not hauling bedrooms up and down the road. They just pop out just like a pup. Because of this I was able to buy a HTT at eh same weight of my pup. That means I did not have to buy a new TV. Yeah!!!!! [:D]

18. rjniles

rjniles Member

I have considered moving up from our PUP to a hybrid. In fact I went and looked at a used 19' Aero Cub and almost bought it. The thing that stops me is the lack of a king size bed. If I could get a hybrid with a king bed I would jump in a heart beat. I love sleeping under canvas as I know I am camping.

Here is my reason. My wife and I like to sleep with our heads toward the front of the PUP instead of across the PUP as intended. The king bed is as wide as it is long so this works for us. I am 5-8 and DW is 5-6. This lets either of us get up during the night without crawling over the other.

I am not interested in a TT due to the weight, cost and property tax issues.

19. Cindy F

Cindy F New Member

Ditto! Everyone thought it was pretty funny that the one thing that kept me from getting a pop up for so many years, would be the thing I fell in love with the most-canvas! After having a pop up, I don't think I could ever be happy with a camper that did not at least have canvas bunks.

We also wanted a hybrid because:
    1) Can pull over and use the camper without popping/hooking up
    2) Ability to turtle for just overnight stops on the way to a destination-we can do this with our tow vehicle (camper van) but not if the 125 pound dog is with us!
    3) Best bang for your buck space wise- not counting the 8' toy hauler deck, our hybrid is only 17' but it's all living space...no space is taken up by a bed/sleeping area because those pop-out.

Having said all that, we're still keeping the pop up because I can't bear to part with it- even though it was a thorn in my side in the beginning, I still love my little thorn! [LOL]

ETA: I haven't posted much until recently so maybe I missed something but what does "muted" mean under someone's name?

20. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Cindy, you forgot to mention that your hybrid doesn't spontaneously self-destruct or wreak havoc!

PM me and I'll fill you in.