Why a pup

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by doglover44, Dec 30, 2009.

1. doglover44

doglover44 New Member

Why did you choose a pup as your rv ?

2. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

'cause mine was free! [:D]
    Parents bought it new in '82 and been in the family since! We actually started out when I was a kid with a slide in camper in the back of a '68 GMC pick up that my dad got around '77 or '78 I think. We camped in that for a few years and they traded that in for our Viking.

3. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

We had one when the kids were growing up. We had great adventures. About a year ago we started camping with some friends who have a hi-lo and we started looking at Travel Trailers. My wife remembered all the fun in the PUP and said lets look at them ... they are easy to tow. So we looked and liked what we saw and are now back in a roomy PUP.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our pup is meant as an off-the-ground addition to our other modes of camping - on the ground tent camping & backpacking. We're not interested in having to deal with furnaces, electric systems and the like. We simply wanted an easy to tow camper which would allow us to extend our camping season, and be an alternative for some trips.
    We found this 1984 Palomino Shetland about a dozen years ago. It has a 6 foot box and only 1 bed end. We like the size, etc. so well that we are renovating it at the moment. We've ordered new lifter arms - this pop-up actually does pop up, no cranks, etc.; will order canvas soon. We've removed the electric convertor and sink but are leaving the 2 burner stove.

5. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

Here's my [2C] although I'll probably forget something to list.

*Tent camping in windy Oklahoma thunderstorms = less than an enjoyable night.
    *Buy used for 500, refurb it for a total cost of 1000. Being warm and dry for 1000.00= priceless.
    *Small enough to park and store in driveway (no HOA here). No storage fees.
    *Pull easily with paid-for half ton pickup; no need for fire-breathing F-250 or 350.
    *Ease of backing into a camp spot. Less stress pulling 1500 lb. as opposed to 5,000+ for a TT.
    *Simple on-board systems that require minimal maintenance.
    *Buy cheap + refurb/recycle with home-grown ingenuity (and Portal help) = bragging rights.
    *Travel and sleep without the cost of a five-star overpriced hotel. Or Quality Inn :)

and the best reason after all is said and done....

*Popups are just plain FUN.

When I camp next to the Class A's and 36 foot 5th wheels, I realize we don't need a condo on wheels... OR a 1 inch thick payment book. Nothing against them at all; just not our cup of tea.

6. Jumanji

Jumanji Beautiful BC

We loved to tent camp before we bought our trailer so it was the obvious next step for us.

- gets us up off the ground
    - can keep it loaded and ready to go
    - the kids can sit and have breakfast while we sleep in
    - furnace, potti, sink, fridge
    - can pull it with our minivan
    - can store it in our driveway

7. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Member

I need a place to camp when I'm exploring the wilds of northern Michigan in my Jeep. I could either buy a motorhome and pull the Jeep or have the Jeep pull a popup. The wife (and my checkbook) says a motorhome is out of the question since we have a cottage to support, so a popup it is.

8. Csea

Csea New Member

I didnt choose it... it chose me!

no really, my dads like here have it you like camping youll get more use of it.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

My DW grew up with a pup and we really wanted to go out west and we made the decision to buy a pup. But did almost but a TT. But we are very happy we went with a pup!!! [:D]

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

My choice was pretty much made for me also.

My friend had a nice PUP. Friend was getting a divorce and moving south to live on a boat and had no room to store a PUP on a boat. Friend needed money and his wife suggested he sell the PUP (to me actually) since she wouldn't use it without him and thought I/family would get use of it. $2000.00 later ($1000.00 for PUP, 500.00 for hitch, wiring, brake controller, load levelers 300 new tires, 200 misc for new cooler, small repairs and refurbishment) I have a nice little (12', 3000lb) PUP.

The joy of it is:
    Sleeping on a warm (heated) mattress with sheets vs. sleeping on an air mattress in a sleeping bag.
    Sleeping up off the ground vs. sleeping on air mattress on ground.
    Electrical vs. having to bring marine battery for electricity (both DW and I have sleep apnea and use CPAP's)
    Eating breakfast at the dinette in whatever clothing in whatever weather vs. Getting dressed and having to set up a picnic table or trying to make do in the rain.
    Toilet in camper vs. midnight trek with kids to the bathroom (which always seems to be on the other side of the park).
    A/C vs. sweating in the heat of a tent.
    Heat vs. freezing in the morning.
    sink (w/ hot or cold water) vs. having a jug of cold water on the edge of the picnic table.
    travel and see sights and sleep in own bed at night vs. pay high costs of hotels for the amount of time we are actually in the room. + the hotels get upset when you have a campfire in the hall.

The only drawbacks are I seem to have the habit of setting up in the dark and putting down in the rain. I also have a minivan pulling that trailer and will need a new TV before to long. DW has agreed that whatever we get must be capable of pulling a min of 5000 lbs.

I have looked at travel trailers and really like the hybrid rockwood roos. The main attraction is the ability to store/keep stuff in trailer and ease of packing prior to trip. With the slide out, I don't have much floor space. DW would like to eventually have everything we need packed in trailer so all we had to do was hook up and go. She would even have extra clothes in the trailer if possible.

11. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

PUPs are just a comfortable way to travel.......they are easy to tow and like others have said, no storage fees and no increase in car insurance ( ours is covered by our current car insurance), $50 a year insurance coverage for loss or damage and most importantly, PUPS are comfortable enough yet just rustic enough to still feel like you are camping......i found myself thinking i could live in mine year round the last time i went camping ( we live in a mild climate mind you.....haha).......SCmomma

12. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

My tow vehicle's 3500 lb limit pretty much limited us to a pop up.

13. TexasCamperMom

TexasCamperMom New Member

We went with a PUP for many of the reasons already stated. We had gone as far as putting a down payment on a TT before we reconsidered. We are really glad we went with the PUP.

- no payments for the next 8-10 years
    - fits in our driveway, no monthly storage costs
    - easy to tow, does not require a 'special' tow vehicle
    - very similar to tent camping, but much more convenient and comfortable
    - ready to go with little or no packing
    - we have extended our camping season (we can now camp in summer in Texas, because we have air to help us sleep at night)

14. turtle

turtle New Member

#1) The only way I could get the DW to camp [;)]
    #2) Stores in garage
    #3) Tows easily
    #4) Has all the conforts DW wants and still gets me out camping

And probabley more...

15. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

I agree with what most of you have said, as the same is more many in the UK but the difference is that caravans (TT's) in the UK are much smaller most are 6'-9 wide at most a typical 4 berth is 19' long o/a with body size 12'-10" & 8'-5" high, with a weight of 2400 lbs (MTPLM) maximum technical permissable laden mass. 517 lbs user payload.
    http://www.adria-mobil.com/default.cfm?j=en&t=gb&d=gb&Kat=070305&model=512&skupina=altea#anchor
    Price tag new £10,250 pounds sterling. There are models available that are 22' long Body shell (26' o/a)
    We don't have Hybrids, Do I still prefer a PUP, "you bet", my DW is not a keen camper, we don't get a lot of opportunity to do so, but I grab it when I can.

16. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

same as the others....
    1. cost
    2. tow w our cherokee w/o upgrading tv.
    3. pretty roomy inside. i still feel clausterphobic insmaller travel trailers.
    4. opening up allthe windows for a sleeping under the stars feeling.
    5. can store in driveway or garage.
    6. easy to drive/tow on long trips.
    7. still have many ofthe conveniences of bigger trailers.

17. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

Wanted to get away from tent camping,getting too old to get up off the floor/ground. With my tv (soon to be replaced) didn't have much room to pack every thing. Looked and found one in my price range, a 95 Avalon for $1400.00 only needed cleaning and patched the storeage lid. More storeage space. Win win.. Maybe one day upgrade. only when this one falls apart. [{:)]

18. TwoHappyCampers

TwoHappyCampers New Member

Rainy weekends are much nicer in a pup than in a tent, especially with kids.
    We can get away quickly - just get food and clothes - off we go.
    We still feel like we are really outdoors, even if we are inside due to weather.
    The expense of owning a pup is much less than other RVs.

We just love ours!

19. tntom

tntom Member

Our pup is usually loaded and ready for the road. All we need to pack is food and clothes. The pup lets us hear the night sounds, like a tent, gets us off the ground, and gives us much more room than a tent. Plus it is small enough to tow with our ranger pickup.

20. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

1. Cost efficient
    2. No need for a monsterous tow vehicle
    3. My parents had one when I was a kid, so I was familiar with them
    4. Like a tent - but plusher