Why did you buy your first camper?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by fritz_monroe, Feb 24, 2012.

1. DobeFanatic

DobeFanatic Age is only a State of Mind

I got my pup 4 yrs ago once I realized it was a great way to get away from home/travel/vacation without the hotel bills & restaurant costs, and I don't have to put up with those places that are convinced all Dobermans should be outlawed. Miss Morgan has a wall full of ribbons won in agility, obedience, therapy - she is respectful and an easy traveler having been to shows all over the Eastern US before she retired, she's almost 8 now.

2. denibop03

denibop03 New Member

We bought our camper to get off the ground. Then 2 years later had to sale it because we had to sale TV due to needing a car to drive to work after getting a new job 97 miles away. Once we moved closer to our jobs we bought a new TV and then went and got us a new camper. I love my camper it is so nice to get out of the rain and not have to worry about leaks and all that comes with that.

3. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

We tent camped for several years usually when we were our 4wheeling/rock crawling, camp grounds and primitive, loved it, some times 3 weekends a month. then we bought a house and the expensive stuff ( like building off road vehicles ) had to slow way down.

we would do beach trips, and occasional camp ground, but it got tougher after we got married and had our daughter.

We would still do beach trips, was fun to watch DD play in the waves and in the tent, and being she wasn't all that mobile yet, wasn't really an issue.

couple of job moves, and some other strife put camping on the back burner for awhile, after a bout with thyroid cancer we decided we needed to go back out and do things again, but I wasn't up for the physical part of it just yet.

We had discussed a camper many times, but never really popped on it, finally, wife was laid off and got a decent severance package we found a small '94 Starcraft, nothing fancy, just a box with a tent and beds, camped in it a few times, mostly back yard, but a beach trip or 2 as well.
    [​IMG]
    early 2011 we looked at our finances, and we could pay off the car and a few other things, we decided to pop on a new camper, something someone else had not molested yet....... besides every time we called or showed up for a CL camper it was either gone or total garbage ( usually the only reason it was still there )
    [​IMG]
    We bought our Flagstaff in May '11, and have enjoyed it since. it has been used at least one weekend a month since we've gotten it, either in the yard/driveway or out and about. We'd be out camping tonight if our daughter hadn't gotten herself suspended from the school bus for 3 days ( she loves camping, so this is part of the punishment, we all were really wanting to go this weekend !!! )

yep, we have a payment, but it is one that we don't mind at all. we'll keep it for quite awhile.

4. esgordon123

esgordon123 New Member

Tent camped at Ft. Wilderness. It rained and everything inside and outside the tent got soaked. Pillows, airbeds, clothes, fans. All the stuff that was supposed to stay dry got wet. It sucked. We were back about a week and went and signed the papers at the only dealer within 100 miles of home. We have loved it sense. Have not been able to use it this year. It has seemed to be raining every weekend.

5. bccamper

bccamper Member

Its a whole lot easier with the kids, and will never go back (even after they grow up).

6. scorp28

scorp28 Member

I had always enjoyed camping and the idea of camping. When I was married I was wanting to start doing some camping so my (ex)wife and I bought a tent and everything we needed. She was all for it. Well, we used the tent twice (I think) and I could tell she wasn't enjoying it too much, so when I saw the ad for the pup I thought maybe that would get her to want to go more often. Plus I have to admit, I thought it would be nice to have also.

7. Camp Addict

Camp Addict Member

DW and I had been married for 4 years before we knew the other even liked camping. After tenting it for about a year, we met a nice couple with a beautiful Fleetwood. They convinced us that we HAD to get a p'up and we agreed after seeing theirs. the following week we bought a Taos. we camped 5 years in that and never looked back. we bought our Trailmanor 2 years ago for the same reasons as UT and wanted to upgrade anyway. we can't wait 'til DD (12) decides her future so we can get out and so some real traveling.

8. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

DW and I tent camped at a NFS CG in La Sal MTNs near Moab UT. Unfortunately, I did not notice that one of the few available sites was not level. While sleeping, DW was uphill and rolled down on me, pinning me on far end of tent. Morning, changing clothes like snakes crawling on ground was very unpleasant. I realized if we wanted to continued camping, we needed an upgrade. PUPs always interested me, so its time had come for me.

9. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

As much as I was happy with my 02 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah, I wanted a PUP that set up and broke down much quicker. Trail Manor fit the bill.

10. chippers

chippers New Member

I grew up pop up camping almost every weekend of a summer.
    DH not so much. Park lodges were "roughing it" for his family. I tried to get him tent camping a couple of times, but neither of us liked being on the ground. And once we had kids it was too much trouble.
    Meanwhile mom & dad were still camping in that pop up. Took such good care of it, it lasted all those years. Just last year they decided they were too old for midnight bath house runs. They offered us the pup.
    (Actually, they told me to get it out of their garage ) [LOL]
    So now we're puppers and loving it. Just enough comfort got DH, just enough roughing it for me. Plus she's a vintage beauty and we get a kick out of the old timers who always stop by to admire her.

11. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

We got ours to beat the cost of motels and restrants. There were 6 of us back then myself, wife, 3 kids and my mother. We would pick a campground close to what we wanted to see and stayed there. Now it's just the wife and I and we still do the same.

12. cosmicmama

cosmicmama New Member

I bought my camper because my dad was a pop-up enthusiast, and I have many awesome memories of camping with him. I remember camping in a Cox soft top first...then some other model with slide out canvas ends and a hard roof, then finally an Apache. He died in 1999. I wanted to give my kids the same great memories of camping, so even though I was divorced and raising them by myself, and a little afraid of trying to tow a camper, back it up, etc by myself, I bought my first PUP in 2004. We had a great time with it for a couple of years, then I sold it because it needed some work. Last year, I found an Apache Ramada that made me feel all sentimental, and I bought that. I never got around to fixing it up enough to camp in it, so tomorrow I am selling it and hopefully going to pick up a 1996 Jayco Eagle 10 that is camp-ready. My boys are 10 and 13 now, and I only have a few more years camping with them before they are grown. I find that I don't do nearly as much tent camping as I would like because I just don't like sleeping on the ground. [8D] Excited to get back to PUP'ing it.

13. kirksvillecamper

kirksvillecamper New Member

my simple answer, got tired of sleeping on the ground.

14. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

We upgraded from sleeping on the ground in our tent with the kids. The older we got the harder it was to sleep on the ground.

15. MrWizzard

MrWizzard New Member

I grew up tent camping, [CP] did the Boy Scout thing, and continued tent camping for many years. The DW also tent camped with her ex hubby and their kids. After we got together we continued tent camping but found ourselves gradually doing less and less camping, as we became more 'mature' [;)] and the thrill of sleeping on the ground began to loose its charm, until we were not camping at all! Totally unacceptable!!!
    I always thought PUPs were too cool and thought that would be the way to get back into camping. We then started going to some RV shows and talking about a PUP. I put the big push on to get a PUP when I retired in the fall of '07, but other than an outside shower and inside toilet the DW had made no decision about a PUP. Soooooooooooo I began a search for a PUP through out the fall and winter. In May of '08 I found our Starcraft Venture on CL about an hour drive away. It was in great shape and a good deal so I bought it, hauled it home and the rest is history!!! :)

16. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

To off the ground!!! My wife wanted to sleep up off the ground.

I also wanted to keep all of the camping stuff in one place.

17. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

Why did I buy my first camper? Because my wife finally let me!

18. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I like the color and i did not need a big camper any more plus the new has elect lif[​IMG]t

19. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

I backpacked up till about 9 years ago. Remarried. We tent camped 2 times, new bride kept talking about how great pop up was,
    friend had one for sale. When I saw how much room was inside and those big comfortable beds, sink, stove, table, and a/c..my ol' bones said this is for you....loved our Jayco..

20. leof

leof Member

[:D] Same here...