Why do my van tires sound funny after last camping trip?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by CamperChrissy, Aug 23, 2017.

1. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

So after we returned from our last camping trip, I've noticed the tires on my van are making more noise than they used to. Like a slightly louder, slightly more high-pitched sound than before. Gets higher pitched as I drive faster and lower pitched as I slow down. I checked tire pressure and it's fine. We were towing with the van level, thanks to our new airbags installed in the springs. Any ideas why tires would sound weird now? Did they somehow get worn down unevenly from towing?

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Could have a slipped belt in the tire.

3. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

Are you sure it's the tires?

DW's van was exhibiting the same symptoms that you describe. I thought it was the front wheel bearings. It turned out to be the brakes. She needed new front brake pads. The rotors were also shot so I replaced them as well.

4. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Hmmm, maybe is the brakes. I noticed a month or two ago that they were making the squeak sound that happens when the pads get worn down. Told hubby, but he says they were replaced not long ago and should not be worn down yet. I'll ask him to take a look. Thanks for the tip!

Hope it's not the belt in the tire. Tires are also pretty new. Ugh!

5. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

They put the ticklers on the brake pads for a reason. Don't ignore the squeak.

arthuruscg likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Just a reminder...when you're towing you go through break pads faster then when your not towing even if your camper has breaks.

arthuruscg likes this.
  7. Winchested

Winchested Member

Yep and putting an Extra 6-10 lbs in the rear tires helps too. If the rating on the tire allows for it.