Why do people buy LG campers its not camping!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by CentralNH, Jul 25, 2015.

1. CentralNH

CentralNH New Member

This afternoon my wife's aunt and uncle got here from SC with their 38' camper. We asked about the trip and they complained about gas mileage...cost of fuel, tolls and the cost of a camp site. If they owned a pup they could have parked in any family member's driveway including ours. If they owned a pup they wouldn't need a huge truck. if they owned a pup they wouldn't complain about a tent site fee and most of all a 10+ year payment. We have thought of getting a bigger camper and every time the cost of ownership turns us off and besides their camper is a house on wheels.... its not camping!

2. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Some people burn money with efficiency. I don't get it either. May as well put that money towards a cottage

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If that is their personality, they' d find things to complain about a pup too. You might as well just nod and be glad you chose your path.

However, if we expect not to be looked down on for having a pup, we must return the favor and remember that they made their own choice. Check out the "second class citizen" thread.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I bought a TT because I wanted one. I get the about the same gas mileage pulling it with a full size truck as I did pulling a PUP with a compact truck. I chose a model with high resale. I paid cash, too. Heck, if history repeats itself, it will appreciate if I keep it long enough.

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

It does not meet your definition of camping but then again to many that sleep in a tent or under a tarp; folks that camp in a popup camper are not camping.

6. pjnlorrie

pjnlorrie Member

As we have aged we have moved from small tents (so wonderful to sleep close to the ground and look up at the stars), to a popup (due to old bones that do not tolerate sleeping on the ground), to a small travel trailer (because frequent night time potty visits have become the norm). Each has been a step away from sleeping in the wilderness, but we still love being in the woods, hiking canyons, and all the other activities only possible miles from civilization.

7. CentralNH

CentralNH New Member

Actually back in 91 we were on a 2 week camping trip and it poured 9 days of the 14. When we returned home we and the kids decided we needed a better plan for camping in the rain (we never plan or want it to rain). We went to Gary's RV in Chichester, NH (which is now camping world) and looked at pup's. We fell in love with our Jayco 806 and bought it that day. We still bring the tents for the grand kids (they end up in camper by sunrise). We know that our pup is luxury compared to tenting, we look at it as a luxury from the rain and misquetos.
    If it wasn't for that drenching camping trip in Conn. we prob. would have never become pup owners.....with that said we have never regretted it either. We use the sink and fridge and enjoy the table when the bugs or weather is bad. We spend our waking time outside. We have always had a radio weather tenting or in the pup.
    We go to the camper to escape life even in the back yard here at home. I guess I am too old to understand a lazy boy and TV in a camper (unless you are retired and its your full time house). Even if I hit the lottery I wouldn't give up a pup.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My dad complains all the time about everything camping, the price, the maintenance expense, the beds the whole towing issue. That's just him though. Now my parents did the popup for a good 10 years before upgrading to the monster they have now. Dad complained about that as well, trust me I've heard every argument possible all the way to our destination from him. Mom doesn't complain because well she doesn't do any of the set up, driving or any of the "work" involved. Everyone's version of camping is different, but to me it is still camping whether you are in a 38 foot trailer or a tent. The purpose is to just get away from all the hustle of life and have a little downtime yet still sleep in your own bed vrs a questionable hotel bed. Not to mention still cheaper than a $100 a night hotel. Then again I love camping and the work involved is nothing compared to the price I save. I have stayed at campgrounds at over 50 dollars a night to cheap parks at only 10 dollars. Both have their own plusses and minuses. In the hot/humid summer I have no problem paying extra for electricity and other amenities. When its cooler I have no problem roughing it in a tent. It is still camping even if I'm renting a cabin. If your sleeping anywhere other then in town on the main drag then your camping.

9. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

In my limited time in the RV world, Ive learned a few things. One of which is to

never define what camping is or is not.

10. mjsny

mjsny Member

Some of my friends think that a popup is not "real" camping. Whatever it takes to get you out there for quality family time and enjoy some of the special places that nature has to offer.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I wish we could take my recliner, my back would appreciate it. Years ago, when we were tent camping, I seriously thought about hauling it with us on a small trailer.

One of the reasons we decided we would be happy with the pup for a long time (my back had other ideas) was a trip to the RV show. The RVs that had recliners were all much larger than we wanted, needed or could tow.

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

To each their own. Who do you think you are anyway judging the way I camp? You don't know me, you don't know my physical abilities/inabilities. You have no idea what those peoples stories are that you are judging, and just like you, EVERYONE HAS A STORY. It is not your place to judge them or their story.

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

That is why they make different RV's I have had them all and always go back to a PUP. However the ones who have the big RV's should not complain. If it is that bad then get rid of it and buy something smaller.

14. NW_Dale

NW_Dale Member

I'm sure the folks in the big rigs wonder why we do what we do too. On one camping trip a "bus" backed into the site next to us, it's automatic levellers deployed, the awning went out, the AC went on and I swear we never saw a single person out of that unit in the 3 days it was there.

I'll admit I was looking at some really nice A-Frames and was sorely tempted because setting up and taking down our pup is seeming harder and harder these days and after all it's just the two of us these days. Our camper is in excellent shape, has tons of space, is as comfortable to us as our home is, and most of all it's paid for. The one we looked at had way more amenities than I've ever had in a pup but I guess camping is what you make of it for yourself.

By the way, the last time we took our pup down, on a whim, I lubed all the slides, rollers, bunk channels, lift components, etc. Amazing! Suddenly it's not as hard as it was before. Who knew?

15. davido

davido Active Member

After years of backpacking, taking a pup and setting it up in a cg with hookups and wifi feels nothing like the camping I came to enjoy. But I have a family now, with young kids and a DW who didnt grow up with an appreciation for roughing it. So the pup is camping now, and we enjoy it together.

If it required a TT to make my family feel willing to participate, i would have gone that route and we would still "camp" together.

16. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We have done the tent, Pop up and now the TT. Tenting was fun until I camped in Rain for 5 days and had a flood in the tent.....that drove me to a tent trailer and that was great for a few years before my back started to dislike and I was hating to have to open it up at home in order to clean and air it out; We went and bought s sensible sized TT for mostly my wife and I but yet there is enough room for our grandchildren. Clean up is done at the campsite and all the gear is stowed in the trailer so when I get it home there is very little to do other than washing the exterior of it. Yes there is a cost for maintenance but for us it is well worth it IMO...it is not for everyone but my back thanks me for it.

17. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

I spent decades on the ground in the rain, sleet, and snow. I also had the great fun of camping as a boy in our family's small TT, a 16' Santa Fe. Man, my big brother and I loved that thing. I have to say that I am all excited inside about all sorts of camping and campers. The massive buses, fivers, and forty footers don't do a thing for me. To me they are "RVing" versus "camping." But that's my opinion, and it's great for those folks who worked hard for them and enjoy them. Everybody has their own situation, preferences, and ideas of what it means to camp. The truth is, a lot of people with the monster rigs will tell you that the are not "camping." They are residing, traveling in the comforts of home, seeing the country as a part of a lifestyle that they have earned and are ready for, or they are flat out using it to have a mobile party "house." Why would that be a problem? Just because I don't want that, doesn't mean it is wrong or illegitimate. We all have the right to live our dreams. Personally I don't consider it "camping," but it is interesting, fun, and amazing to see all of the big boys.

My dream is to own a top shelf 22'-24' hybrid, 22'-24' TT, a maxed-out truck camper (one with three slideouts), and a modest C class coach or camper conversion van, maybe even a retro or VW model. All would be a blast.

We love our PUP. It has its advantages and disadvantages. I do not like to set up or take down in the rain, especially take down. I do not like the hassle of opening it to work on it, retrieve something from it, or put something in it (That gets old). I do not like the fragility of the tenting. I would have an ample list for all of the other campers as well. I do like how compact it is, its ease of towing, its openness inside, and the connection to nature it affords.

But I do often dream of other trailers and campers. Sometimes I even wonder what it would be like to camp in a little micro TT or A-Frame. I do enjoy seeing all of them (except the buses which I find boring) on the road. I wish I had a big fat wallet to special order and care for several different varieties and camp them according to my whim. I would also like to own a variety of tow vehicles. I would like a late '68-'72 station wagon and truck, a nice modern 4 door 1/2 pick up, and a 3/4 ton pick up. After years of 1/2 ton driving and towing, it would be fun to check out a 3/4 ton. I don't want a monster truck; a 3/4 ton would suffice.

18. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

As was said. Camping means different things to different people. I come across many people who say I am not camping either by being in a pop up. Where one decides to reside on the camping spectrum is their choice. Some like to backpack with only a tarp. Others want a tent to keep the bugs out, others want to get off the ground, others want a place to sit, others want climate control, it goes on and on up the scale. Where you want to be on the scale is up to you.

I love a pop up. It was always a dream of mine to afford one and it gave me much joy to attain a life long dream. I would not trade it for anything.

Vin.

19. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Growing up we camped in tents pups travel trailers and class c mohos had a great time with all of them like others have said they are all just a way too get away and unwind. As for me I love the popup don't mind the tear down and set up process love the ability to store in my garage most of all I love being able to get my kids out into nature away from cell phones video games and enjoy family time

2013 Rockwood 1980
    2015 Ford Explorer

20. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I have had two pups, a class C, and a class A RV. I don't miss the maintenance, but what I do miss about the RVs is the ability to use the kitchen, bathroom, and other amenities while on the road or in a parking lot.

A TT would give some of the same benefits.

We haven't done any cross county camping recently, but it sure was nice to be driving down the road while someone made me a sandwich and got me a cold drink out of the fridge.

Also, while parked at an amusement park, it was easy to leave the park, sit in the air-conditioned RV and watch some TV, take a nap, and have an inexpensive lunch... Then head back to the park refreshed for some more fun.

The class A also had a great layout for day trips. We would load up my parents, grandparents, friends, etc. and head off to the beach or a far away restaurant or other point of interest. Everyone traveled in comfort, and could use the bathroom and have a cocktail while going down the road.