Why do some RV campgrounds leave out Popup Campers as an option on the rez form?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by TwoEngineersGoCamping, Oct 14, 2015.

1. TwoEngineersGoCamping

TwoEngineersGoCamping Member

I found a nice site along the gulf and filled out a reservation form for the week we want to go. I've noticed at several campgrounds that, when they ask about your setup, options start at Travel Trailer and work up to larger rigs. Are popups considered a class of travel trailers, or does that indicate that the campground does not encourage pups?

Thanks,
    TwoEngineersGoCamping

2. gruss

gruss Active Member

That's the box I check when "Pop up" or "tent trailer" is not an option.

Although I've never seen one around here, I've heard from some people that certain campgrounds don't allow pop ups at all, just FYI to check the rules.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Is this a public or private campground? If it is a private CG, it may be that they don't allow pop-ups (or ground tents), you'll need to look through the rest of the information.

If tent trailer (seems to be the most common I've encountered), pop-up, fold-out, or fold-down camper is not listed, then TT or trailer it is.

I know of one NP campground that specifically does not allow tents or soft-sided trailers, a.k.a. pop-ups, but that is for bear safety. Otherwise, I don't believe I have found a public one that doesn't allow pop-ups. We stayed at a city CG in our first pup that did not allow converted school buses. We are staying in a private one in AZ next month that is listed in the Good Sam guide as only allowing campers with full hook-ups, but it says nothing about no pop-ups. (That one doesn't have on-line reservations and the lady on the phone didn't say anything about restrictions.)

4. kitphantom

You could also just call the campground to find out if they permit pop-ups. It would not be fun to get all you plans made, only to find out on arrival that they will not allow you to camp.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Pop-ups are a type of travel trailer, unless they break it down further.

I wouldn't want to stay at any RV park that didn't allow pop-ups. Heck, I wouldn't want to stay at most RV parks, period... they tend to be glorified parking lots.

6. kitphantom

@tfischer
    It is going to be interesting to stay at the RV park next month, this will be a traveling trip, not a camping trip. We're going to visit friends for Thanksgiving, the state park we used last year was full. Our friends found this RV park 10 minutes from their house and scoped it out, so we're trying it. At least it will make it easy to empty and really flush our waste tanks, since we'll have full hook-ups - we'll winterize the afternoon we get home from that trip.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Yeah I should clarify that my thoughts are based on "camping as an activity", not "camping as a place to sleep at night". I know a lot of folks camp for regular travel, which we don't (at least haven't yet). Have fun on your trip!

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I stayed in a park this summer that said they didn't allow pop ups unless they were self contained due to not having public restrooms.

9. TwoEngineersGoCamping

TwoEngineersGoCamping Member

Yeah, I called the campground today and asked and the woman said they did not allow pop-ups. We hung up and she called back later in response to my internet submission form (where I had to choose tent trailer) and she said they had an ocean front site available during the week of spring break. I said that sounded great, but I was the popup camper she just spoke with. She apologized and said again they didn't take pop-ups, but didn't explain why.

I confirmed they had a bath house, so I don't think that was it. Disappointing, either way.

10. whitecastleman

whitecastleman Member

I pulled into a small campground in northern IN and the gate attendant looked at my Quicksilver 6.0 folding tent camper and asked "what is it?

11. kitphantom

@ Two Engineers Go Camping
    Some private campgrounds, especially if they classify themselves as "resort" ones, prohibit pop-ups and tents. There are also sometimes age limits for travel trailers and RV - i.e. must have been manufactured after a certain date. After seeing some of the gorgeous renovated TT on television, such as Flyte Camp re-dos, I wonder what they'd make of a 1940s-1960s trailer than has been rehabbed - many are nicer than new ones.
    I think it is about the atmosphere the campground wishes to promote - the public ones are not so snobbish, if one wants to classify the others as that. In some places, such as snowbird country, there are over-55 (or 50) campgrounds, too.

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

There are Airstream only campgrounds. The one I have been to won't turn another brand trailer away. They will allow another brand that just shows up to stay one night . I think that is pretty nice for travelers. Getting turned away at the gate while traveling all day would suck.

13. backinthegame

backinthegame If it ain't poppin, it ain't campin

So let me get this right.... She said no to pop ups when you called BUT you checked tent trailer on the online submission form and she called back.... Pop up .... Tent Trailer == same thing , well at least to me it is.......so sounds like that person has no clue what they are doing

14. kitphantom

@JaycoKev
    The OP started the thread since the campground did not have anything describing a pop-up. Travel trailer was the closest they could get to pop-up.