Why do they do this...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by RhinoDave, Sep 13, 2013.

1. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Okay, I have to vent a little on one of my pet peeves. I normally try to camp only during the week days to avoid noisy and congested campgrounds. I camped last week and it was very nice. There were only 9 sites occupied out of 38 sites in the loop. This applied until Friday night. I was expecting more campers and several units came in as expected. What bugged me was another PUP came in and, having a choice of several sites and many with nice large sites and no one next to them, the guy decided to camp right next to me and parked his PUP right next to mine within 10' of my back awning. The sad thing about it was he was supposed to set it up on another site for his BIL (he wasn't even staying) and he decided he wanted to park it next to ours since it was easier for him to park it next to the road. Their awning was about three feet from ours even though the site was over 85' long and almost forty feet wide. Not only did we get to hear their normal conversations, We got to listen the BIL that was not staying, give a loud, long and detailed instruction on how to setup and take down the PUP. Also included was a Pug mix dog that liked to wander off ( no leash of course). We got to listen to "Shara.... GETBACKHERE... SHARA... GETOVERHERE SHARA! SHARA BAD GIRL. I guess my question is . WHY do people do this? Lots of very nice sites to choose from and they end up almost on top of us. It was only for one night but I think next time, we'll leave before Friday. They were nice people but I really didn't want any tent buddies.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I thought that only happened to me. :)

3. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

They must know good people when they see them. Wanted to be close to the cool kids. [;)]

DG

4. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Had a similar thing happen on our last night at Holly. Bunch of kids came blasting their "music" andeven set one of their tents up on our site. The loop was largely empty, why set up next to someone and be disruptive?

5. dcel

dcel New Member

Can't explain why some people are so inconsiderate. It's just sad.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This is one of those mysteries of the universe. It has happened to me a few times, too.

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Are they scared? [8D]

8. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

We have had this happen to us too! We all must have that "I'm camping in a site away from everyone else and want some company" look. :)

Campit

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

It is a mystery of the Universe [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

In some other post in the past, I noted when it happens...... if you sit around your campfire in your underwear those people will usually move or not set up there to begin with. [:D]

Seriously, it has happened to me more times than I can remember. In a loop of 80 sites of which 2 or 3 were occupied, and the site they set up on was one of the smallest .

Go figure

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I also remember reading somewhere that a tuba placed on the picnic table will usually cause would be neighbors to set up elsewhere.

11. Grandpa Hiker

Grandpa Hiker Member

These are probably the same people that pare next to you in an almost empty parking lot. Even if I park a good distance from the store so that I don't have to be concerned with other car door getting opened against my vehicle; when I come out of the store there are usually cars parked all around me. Go figure!!

12. IVBENS

IVBENS Member

In some other post in the past, I noted when it happens...... if you sit around your campfire in your underwear those people will usually move or not set up there to begin with. [:D]

Go figure
    [/quote]

What if your fire is smokey and your DW is not wearing a bra? (Sorry, different thread [:D] )

I like the tuba on the picnic table angle from UT! I use a similar tactic when I fly on Southwest Airlines. If the seat(s) next to me are empty, I cough like I have a cold as others are boarding. I've had an empty seat between DW and I a few times on an otherwise full plane :)

13. WarMovies

WarMovies New Member

My experience tells me that these sorts of things happen more frequently in easier to get at campgrounds, campgrounds with more hookups (electricity, shower building, etc), and by individuals who are less experienced campers. We try to limit our camping to rustic campgrounds and boondocking/dispersed camping to avoid these sorts of things. We broke that rule this year as we wanted to camp near Duluth so we could daytrip into town. On one side of us were the vault toilets (15 feet away from camper), the other side was the water spigot (10-15 feet away, across from us were a group of friends (2 sites) who camp once a year in a different state park every year, and behind us two sets of grandparents (2 sites) taking the kids out for their first ever camping trip! It was like a refugee camp of sorts. The friends camping had little to no gear and always had someone at the spigot filling a water bottle or rinsing something out (no sign saying you couldnt rinse or wash there). We love camping near mountain streams and I tried to think of the running water as that sort of water feature we love. I offered them use of one of our portable water jugs (5 gallons) and they turned me down. While not in our site for a long period of time it was good to be reminded of why I camp in places with lots of space between me and other campers. While there I made the best of it and found out what these people were doing out that weekend and those behind us as well. Very friendly people and got to know why they were at that spigot all the time by just talking with them. None of this was a huge issue as that weekend we were not out camping to "get away" and find some "solitude". I would suggest some friendly conversation with those who do these sorts of things and find out how and why they camp. I have found camping people to be very friendly and talkative...usually.

14. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I will do this...but, only if that car is parked cross ways using up 2 spots so no one can get close. Well, my beat up old Durango can park close by! I laugh as I walk into the store!

15. Mixon

Mixon New Member

I can be fishing on an 8000 acre lake and end up with another boat within spitting distance. Maybe it really is just human nature [RTM].

16. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

Lol

17. Jean

Jean New Member

I'm thinking a prominently displayed bugle, along with a giant poster with TAPS 0500 AM.

I might get the whole cg to myself.

Jean

18. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Not to be a stickler but one wouldn't play taps at 0500 unless you were going back to bed.

19. Loraura

Loraura New Member

A lot of people choose sites PURELY on what looks like it would be the easiest to back into. They have a fear of backing in, and try very hard to pick one they think they'll have the least trouble with.

So pick sites next to OTHER sites that look tricky to back into!

20. vanjr

vanjr New Member

That is a little different. Call that "potlickin'" around these parts. They are looking for your lucky fishing place:)