Why do you camp??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by 5happycampers, May 14, 2010.

1. bachstrad

bachstrad New Member

There's so much I love about camping. Much of it has already been mentioned. I love the campfire and fellowship with friends and family. I also enjoy firing up the dutch oven about 9:00 in the morning and cooking a pot roast all day for supper that evening. You have to add a few coals during the day to keep it cooking along slowly and that means you can't wander off to far for very long. My solution to this is to put my favorite chair in arm's reach of the dutch oven and the charcoal and then armed with a Louis L'amour novel, I am ready for a tedious day of reading, napping and smelling dinner cook.

2. karichar

karichar New Member

I camp to get away from everyone. Also to get away from the problems at home. When I camp the kids know not to call except in an extreme emergency. Listening to the creek tumble over the rocks while I go to sleep. A fresh cup of coffee in the morning while everyone else is a sleep. NO TV. A campfire while enjoying a cup of coffee. Walking around talking to others who enjoy life's simple pleasures. Watching other folks set up and being amazed at what you can see or learn. Cooking over an open fire. Looking at the woods and thinking to myself how in the world did everyone live back in the day when you either walked or road a horse through the woods. Not know what you would encounter at any time like a bear, mountain lion, cougar, skunk.

3. eve104

eve104 Ol'Bessie

I like to go cause it allows me to better appriciate what I have at home and reset my brain to deal with my day to day.. I work as a nurse and have a family of 3 kids, so to be able to slow down is great.

4. eagle424

eagle424 New Member

I love to go camping to get away from home. It's all about still being independent (not depending on others like you would be if you just stayed at someone else's house), and it's about doing things on the whim. Not having a plan, just doing whatever I wanna do whenever I wanna do it. When I sit at home on my deck, I look into the yard and start thinking about what I'm going to do (work) with my yard. At least when I'm camping, I'm at a remote location with the ones I love to be with. I get the family time without the "familiar surroundings" that make me think about all the work that needs done around the house.

5. aimblkjak21

aimblkjak21 New Member

DH loves camping so I go because he wants to go. I'm cool with it but I would rather be in Vegas. lol. Plus it's good for our kid to get outdoors and experience more than the backyard.

6. rsolo

rsolo Drummers like hitting stuff!

For the most part, I camp with the same group of people (+/- a few people). We've been doing this for the last 6 years. We get together about 4-5 times a
    year and go to a verity of areas. Then there are one or two campouts that are annual get to gethers in the same place. It's like a family reunion when we get
    together (an extended family). I look forward to the camping season every year!

7. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

+1

I think the family time is more "quality time" when camping too...it's not like the kids just get plugged in in other parts of the house (although my DD does like to watch DVDs).

8. justcampfun

justcampfun New Member

[:)O]We love to camp because we get a away from all the stess and noise of life. it allows for for more family time.(still have two at home) i love it when my grown kids(5) and grandkids(13) join us. Talk about priceless moments .

9. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I go camping because I love the outdoors. I can go to so many places with my pop-up and it is affordable. I love the smells of camping and the outdoors. As stated before, I can get out of my truck at the campground and start feeling my body relax. I love the set up and having a cold Diet Coke around the fire and just listening to all the sounds around me. I have a pretty stressful job and camping really works wonders for my health. Basically, I camp because I LOVE IT!

10. CCRJ

CCRJ New Member

Most important is to spend quality time with the familiy, followed by spending quality time with great friends, meeting new friends and just generally getting away from the stress of day-to-day living and unwind.

11. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Member

So I can wake up to things like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All 3 pictures were taken on the north bank of the AuSable river, west of Oscoda, MI.

12. wardog

wardog Member

So many of you have mentioned all the reasons I love camping but I am like Jules. I can feel my body relaxing as soon as I get out of the truck and start setting up. My DD brought a friend camping with us a few weeks ago and the first thing the little girl (9) said "It's really quiet here." My DD also 9 told her "this is heaven." Spoken like a true camper. I love the peace of nature and getting away from the hussle and bussle of home. Don't get me wrong I love the house and the tv but I love being out in nature alot.

13. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

Well, I camp to get away from everything, to sit, relax, and stare at nature in the face. However, my wife gets very frustrated and wants to always go somewhere and do something. I see camping with just myself and the little one in my future, and leaving the wife at home so she can go and do whatever she wants... I've gotten to the point where I like when my BIL and SIL come along as they like to run around doing things as well, my response, see ya'll later. Don't get me wrong, if we're in a new place we don't go often it's fun to see the sites, but at the regular camp sites, well I've seen it all already.

14. eve104

eve104 Ol'Bessie

In today's society we are all about technology, and conveniences. Back in the day families were closer than the average family today. People are all about right now. We go camping to put us in touch with each other and only each other. To let go of all the things we have to deal with at home. To slow down and enjoy just being. I can play with my children and not worry about having a million things to do. Just be. I can be with my husband and reconnect so we can have a stronger marriage, in order to be better for each other and to our children. To enjoy this beautiful world the good Lord gave to us. There is something so basic and instinctive like that happens when you surround yourself with Gods beauty.....Amen

15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

EVE104,
    Our family goes on a major camping trip every August. Just the three of us. We so look forward to this trip every year. We start planning it on the way home from our August vacation!! No kidding!!

We are usually on the road anywhere from a 1 1/2 weeks to 3 weeks. Just the three of us. It takes me about 3-4 days to unwind (My wife reminded me of that fact). We all have jobs on the trip, me, I drive and do most of the setup and break downs. My wife looks at the maps and keeps me from getting lost (not that hard for me) and our son is responsible for cranking up/down the pup and raising/lowering the stabs. We even let him cook b'fast once in a while for us. That's when we teach him how to make good camp food!

Best of all we create some of the best memories while on the road and camping. Even some of those memories you want to forget, but years later you look back and laugh at them and our son has memories of those family vacations. I am not one for flying all that much, I want to see this great country and make sure our son sees it as well and appreciates it!

16. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

Why do I camp?..............cuz I can't sing and dance. (rimshot)

17. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

Get away, spend time with the DW, gives her a break, I do cooking and cleaning. Get away from work.

18. firefighter1302

firefighter1302 New Member

I go, because I remember all the great times my late father and myself had, when I was younger. Getting away from phones, computers, and all modern commodities. And at times, meeting new friends.

19. kelbell1

kelbell1 New Member

We camp for most of the reasons already stated but I really love camping because its the one place i go and do nothing and not feel guilty about it.
    Getting away from soccer, girl scouts, dance, playdates, PTA meetings and just getting to watch my kids enjoy the outdoors and read a book.
    I go just to go enjoy camping!!!

20. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

For the exercise, I get to set up the camper, chop all the wood, wash the dishes, cook the meals [;)]....lol......but more importantly, I get fresh air, no TV, make new friends and just plain relax and not think of work :)......best of all.....smore over an open fire! [:D]