Why does my pup have a cable jack?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by DSchulten88, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DSchulten88

DSchulten88 Member

Where would I get cable from? Do some camp sites have cable or something?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Many "RV Resorts" have cable. My Airstream has cable Jacks and telephone jacks in both ends. You would need a short piece of cable to connect your trailer to the cable source at the power post.

3. DSchulten88

DSchulten88 Member

No kidding?

That's wild. Does it just work for TV or could you use it for a cable modem?

4. xxxapache

I have only used it for television.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Some people bring satellite receivers, even in dry campgrounds such as some of the USFS ones we like in CO.
    Our TT arrived with a cable connection, but we've never used it. We use KOAs as overnight stops on the road, and often they have cable available.
    It all depends on what form of camping each family wants at any given time.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Running a cable modem could be difficult unless the campground is the same exact service provider you have service with, and the service area is the same AND the campground has the right digital connectivity to the backbone. A lot of holes in the swiss cheese have to align for it to work correctly.

If you're in a site with cable, you likely have 4G service and you can use your mobile device as a WiFi hotspot.

7. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

We once had 5 services at a private campground in Michigan.
    Electric, water, sewer, cable TV and phone jack all on the post.
    On my HTT the cable jack goes to my antenna with a short length of coaxial cable.
    Happy camping.

8. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

It is not only for cable TV, I hook my external TV antenna to that jack.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Mine has one too. When I saw it, I just laughed. We won't be watching TV while camping - ever.

Unless, of course, some obnoxious camping neighbors break out the biggest flat screen I've ever laid eyes on, invite all their extended family and friends from other sites over, and proceed to loudly play an NFL game.

10. xxxapache

I like to watch tv to get sleepy or on rainy days. A prime tv viewing spot was high on my TT selection list.

11. Orchid

Shows there are campers for all of us out there, with our different styles. I think my parents watch TV from the bed in their motorhome at night.

In our camper, it's all about interaction, games, and such. Although, nowadays with all the kids with their smart phones, who knows what they are doing. Could be watching TV via the internet. [LOL]

12. xxxapache

No kids here. One of my favorite campgrounds has no tv reception or cell service. Rainy days can get long. I have collected up a pile of 1 buck yard sale DVDs for just those days....My last trip there, it rained straight for 48 hours. Laying on the couch watching tv and listening to the rain pound on the aluminum skin of my TT is pretty darn relaxing.

13. Orchid

I have to agree that does sound very relaxing. :) I love the sound of rain on an aluminum roof. Back when I was newly divorced, as a teenager, I lived in a single wide trailer with a flat, aluminum roof. I loved it! Never found anything more relaxing than the sound of rain on that roof ...

All our kids are grown, but our two youngest still live at home and camp with us. And the grandchildren more often than not. In Florida, rain rarely lasts for more than 10 minutes, and then it clears up like nothing ever happened. The only exception is when there is a hurricane and we don't camp when those are coming. [:D]