Why don't manufacturers add...???

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Misc99, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I'm so puzzled by some of the modifications I've seen on the forum that could be done inexpensively by the manufacturers and they could make a big difference. Maybe they don't add them so some are swayed to upgrade to the dark side.

The mods I'm referring to are....(Feel free to add to this list)

!. Connection to the gray water with an up air pipe so the drain doesn't take forever to drain. (Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology.)
    2. Valve to the hot water heater drain with hose connection.
    3. Bypass kit to the hot water heater.
    4. Computer fans to the back of the fridge with some flashing to pull the hot air out

I looked through the topics and I'm not sure it fit into any of these. So if it needs to be moved to one, I apologize in advance.

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Many PUPs have a water heater bypass standard.The drain issue is a valid one.I imagine that the fans aren't standard because some lawyer somewhere said it may cause exhaust from the fridge to blow back into the trailer...not saying he's right just sayin...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

3. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

in regards to the fridge mod , the builder dont put them in, but i know that norcold does make an after market set up.

It however is more expensive then just adding a computer fan with a diy Bracket.

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

A few more ideas:

Can't really put this one on PUP manufacturers but their suppliers. Incorporate insect screens into the vents on hatches for water heater, frig, and furnace. Would help keep out mud daubers, spiders, etc.

Wouldn't take too much material or labor to extend the drain plugs for water tanks to the side. Would appeal to anyone who's crawled underneath a PUP to drain the tank. A simple metal shield in front of it would protect from road debris.

A battery cutoff switch. Everyone should have one for storage and long road stops.

A standard 12v outlet inside the PUP.

5. crazytrain

crazytrain Wenie Roaster

My guess is that they don't add them to keep the cost down, plus if they added all the mods what would be left for us to do. [;)]

6. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

You have a point there Crazy Train

7. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

My unit has all of your listed mods. Came that way. Look under the PUP in line with water heater. Should be a few valves that can be opened. 1 to water heater, 1 to cold water line. If you don't live in a freezing environment no need for a bypass. My Avalon came with two fans. 1 on the upper coils, 1 on the lower. Also have the grey water "vent" for sink, and shower.

Either FTC heard your request before they closed the doors or maybe you designed the Avalon. Whatever the case, I guess I lucked out, but someone makes what you stated so it can't be a coincidence.

J

8. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

That is so good to hear the later models are have the modifications the rest of us want or do.

I still don't want a newer PUP. I like ours. They don't make one anymore with two king beds unless you get the off road version and my stove is awesome. They all make these dinky little crowded burner things that I don't like. I look forward to adding the modifications to make our sweet little ole PUP better.

Here's another mod the manufacturers will probably add in the future...

Gizmos

They will charge big bucks for them as optional add-ons, but I see that one coming. I hope the person that advertises them on this forum gets the credit. I hope they don't come up with their own design & name. That would be a shame.

9. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I agree about the older ones. In fact I plan on doing a restoration or two a year as a hobby if I should be so lucky to retire someday. I would like to acquire old PUPS that no one wants and make them usable. I have found a few in my area already. I just dont have the time to take them on yet.

J

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Get one of the new Somerset models they have 2 king beds available ...

loving life here in port-o-backyarda

11. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

What size is considered king. My Avalon as well as my niagara has both 77" x 72" I think. IIRC FTCA marketed the bunks as kings on all the larger PUPS.