Why don't people use the sink/refrigerator/stove in your PUP?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jm88, May 16, 2017.

1. KQW320

KQW320 New Member

Hi.
    Just found this forum and have been reading through the wealth of information about camping.
    This thread interested me as I'm working on my 1970 VW Dormobile- searching for a fridge, sink and burner.

Well, with the votes "for or against" seems like one can well do without the stock items in the campers...however, I love the idea of having a complete camper.

A proposal to you guys who don't quite need your fridge/sink/burner- consider disposing me the kit- I'm shopping around for the items and gather a second hand kit might get me a good burgain.
    Thanks

2. 4BeachBums+

4BeachBums+ Member

I just purchased a Coleman Roadtrip! Glad to hear you like it. I haven't used it yet because we are still in the rebuilding phase but soon!

3. 4BeachBums+

4BeachBums+ Member

Thanks! Another great idea! I love popupportal!

4. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I solved my 'How to make coffee when there is no electricity for my small Keurig and I don't have my generator handy' dilemma by tossing a stainless steel Pour Over in the camper. We have a bunch of other things (french presses etc.) from our backpacking, canoe, tenting days but decided the Pour Over is fine for our occasional camping without elec needs. Just open a K-cup, dump it in, and pour hot water over. Using a K-cup for this is obviously not the most cost effective or environmentally friendly approach, but it works well for us given that we always have a bunch of K-cups in the camper.

pourover.JPG

4BeachBums+ likes this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

This does not seal up as good with the closed lid as one of the WEBSTERs does if you are into perfection when cooking up things... Works great for what I want.... It has alot of working area around it and worked flawlessly since 2008 when we got it... The Cooking top cleans up with a couple of squirts with the water hose up against a tree... Love the multiple cooking tops... It also looks like a Cooking Grill to me and runs off the 1lb propane canisters... This also makes me have two or three dual pacsk of the 1lb canisters on-hand to support my backup MR BUDDY heater...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4BeachBums+ likes this.
  6. 4BeachBums+

4BeachBums+ Member

So that brings up the question about the Mr Buddy heater. I have never heard of that.

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Funny you mention the french press. I saw this for the first time today walking around Walmart:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...UqP86jHPxBfshgH4ZBp-AJuk2jgn0kfn0pGgL2iPD_BwE
    [​IMG]

8. AZSven

AZSven New Member

Glad you asked the question. After reading some of the responses I am glad we "aren't alone"!
    We removed the tiny sink and scary stove from our pup after just one season. We used the sink to store stuff in and the stove was rusty. The people we bought it from said they never used either of them, and there is no grease residue inside. We like it that way, and decided to keep up that tradition. The additional counter space will be great.
    We heat water with our coffee pot and use the tub method for doing dishes. After years of tent camping, just doing this "indoors" feels very regal.

Dread_Pirate_Bailey likes this.
  9. Karnizzo

Karnizzo Are we there yet?

We usually camp with other people that tent camp. Meals are prepped and cooked together while talking outside of the pup. The removable 3 burner stove goes outside on the camp kitchen because having 3 burners is NICE! The drop in countertop gives the space we neeed inside

The pup has an outdoor shower so we use that as a dish washing area with table and tubs. The inside sink is too small for us and the space is confined for dishes. We do use the sink for cleaning hands, brushing teeth and small rinsing of items.

The refrigerator gets used for bottled water and other non risky items that need to stay cool. I never trust it to stay cold enough on hot summer days and no shade.

Once we camped with a family that owned a TT. It was weird when they disappeared inside to cook and clean. On the second day they left there door open one tried yelling to talk while cooking. This lasted about 3 minutes and was given up on. I find that when you camp with other people, you do things outside together to enjoy the conversation and experience. What I'm trying to say is camping and how you use your amenities is your choice that works for you. Just enjoy it.

10. roybraddy

My POPUP trailer came with one of those very high BTU Propane Furnace heaters. This is way too much heat for us in our smal footprint OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer. Also the 12VDC Blower unit that comes with the propane furnace is VERY VERY loud. Wakes me up evertime it kicks in. Needless to say we set our propane furnce to a very low setting just to come on if it gets down aorund freeing inside the trailer.

What we use the most of the time is one of these MR BUDDY Heaters. Mine has a single 1lb propane canister and I have to set this whole thing in a large skillet tray thing to capture all of the water that is developed when running the heater... Amazing amount of water haha. This heater has safety problems and one must use venting of open windows etc when being used. They do put off alot of heat however. We only use this when we are awake and shut it down when we go to sleep at night... For us it best to just get under the covers and enjoy the cooled down sleeping... Lots of bad stories about using these types of heaters in a completely closed interior.... I started using mine back in my tent days... These are sold in WALMART and LOWES etc... Use with care - follow the instructions please...
    [​IMG]

I use the 1LB propane canisters for both this MR BUDDY heater, my COleman ROAD TRIP grill, and another type of propane heater that looks like this that I like to use outside sitting around the fire pit... This one is called a BLACKCAT I think it is...
    [​IMG]

Used to use one of these catlytic type coleman heaters back in my tent days and it was a sight to see when lighting one of these off... You would turn it upside down and let the white gas pool up around the top it. Then tuen it over and light off the pooled up white gas. It would shoot up a flame three or four feet high and then finally settle down to to a nice full area of radiated heat only. Burned up many gloves with this this unit sitting inside a tent haha..
    [​IMG]

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. 4BeachBums+

4BeachBums+ Member

As I said earlier, it has been a long time since we camped. We are so excited to get finished with this rebuild. It's nice to hear your feedback on technical issues and products available today. Thanks so much!

12. 4BeachBums+

4BeachBums+ Member

I am not afraid to ask questions, even stupid ones. I learn something new every single day! We used to tent camp without any "luxuries" like a sink. We washed up in a small wash tub also. Many fond memories of those days!

13. roybraddy

We all do thing differently for sure... What i like to do may not even be feasible with your way of thinking haha... We had a bunch of good times back in my Tent Camping years. This all started out in the Arizona High Country back in the late 60s - early 70s.. I was a Jeep guy back then pulling a small utility trailer and loved to go out with small groups of other Jeep guys... We had some real good time doing all over the high country North and North East from the Phoenix area to where I40 crossed the state... The RED CANYONs around Sedona blew us away haha Also loved the Indian Ruins NE of Flagstaff country especially when the Painted Desert colors started changing in the early evenings setting sun... You learn alot of survival camping in these areas for sure...

This all carries over to the OFF-ROAD POPUP high country camping here on the east Coast side of the US.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. tls2971

tls2971 Active Member

Where are you located? I have the sink and fridge that I took out of my PUP. I'm not going to use them and will give them to you if you are close enough.

15. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

I'm so glad you asked the question. We use everything our little camper has to offer. I think people usually bring their past camping history (and traditions) with them when they move from tent camping to pop-up. For some camping means being outside and doing everything outside. For some it seems the appliances in the pop-up just don't work for them. There are many ways to camp and each finds what works for them.

When we got our first pop-up in '92 we embraced its amenities. Sure, the tiny refrigerator only only cooled about 40* below the outside temperature even after our fan modification. The pump faucet at the sink broke before the end of our third year. (We bought a water jug with a spigot to use until we got home and had it replaced.) We cooked inside on the stove everyday. Something really greasy or messy was cooked outside on a one burner backpack stove we kept in the camper in case our Lp tank gave out of fuel and of course some cooking was done over a campfire.

We're on camper III now and still have camper II parked on some acreage about an hour from home. It is only used a night or two at a time and stays winterized. Since food arrives in a cooler it stays in the cooler, (the same goes for the water in the jug) but simple heat and eat cooking and the related cleanup are done inside the camper.

Camper III is our smallest, but we generally only pack, cook, eat, and clean up for two. Our backpacking experiences and supplies have come in handy. We are also hauling less than we used to.

16. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

Lilly does not have a fridge, only an icebox, which I use to store tools since it's right by the door. It's easy to open the door when I arrive at a site, and grab the crank, chocks, etc. I have a couple coolers for food and drinks.

As for the stove, I'd rather cook outside, either with cast iron over the fire or over coals, or using my 30-year old Coleman propane cookstove over at the picnic table. I just think food tastes better when cooked outside, plus I don't want my camper to smell like food. I camp in bear country at times, and I'm paranoid that a bear is going to try to eat me!

I never used the sink, so I took it out. The stove and sink assemblies are sitting in the rafters of the garage, in case I ever change my mind, but since I haven't wanted to use them in 10 years, I doubt I will change my mind. Lilly is a pretty basic box, without AC, or a furnace. I have a Mr. Buddy heater that I hook up to those little propane canisters for cold nights. I don't use electricity while camping. I like my lanterns

Basically, I wanted a pop-up so that I could get off the ground, but still have canvas. I don't RV, I camp. I'm not judging any of you who do use the stove, sink, AC.

As long as we're out exploring nature, it's all good. What works for me, works for me. What works for you, works for you.

I will admit, though, there are times, at 3 AM, when I wish I had a bathroom in the pop-up!

17. AFramed!

AFramed! Member

I know this post is chasing a squirrel that crossed the original post topic, but still thought it might have value. I will keep it short.

Our Aframe came with a boxed chemical porta potty stowed under the bed. Didn't use it for years. Once we did the 3am bathroom trips were a thing of the past HOWEVER I don't camp to create more housecleaning duties and the porta potty was a nightmare to get dried out quickly for storage again.

Solution? I bought a $19 "Luggage Loo" a five gallon bucket with a snap on lid and seat. Got some disposable human waste bags meant for those medical portable house pottys that came complete with a deodorizer pad. (Pennies on the dollar compared to the recommended bags for the Loo) Loo stores under the dinette seat laid on its side. Comes out at night, bag gets used, removed and discarded in am, Loo returns to storage. Bucket stays dry, easy to clean and we never leave the camper.

Only rule is no poo in the Loo!
    [Guitar]

18. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Our A-Liner is very basic I just added a propane fridge and that is going to be it! After tenting for 41 years we have things down pretty pat cooking outside on our 2 colemans if needed. It is so nice at 75 to sleep off the ground but if I can work it out after my back surgery another trip to Europe might be in the works. Who knows then the Cabellas Alasken will be brought out one more time!!

19. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

I've used the fridge on occasion, typically along with a frozen gallon jug of water to help the cooling efficiency, for meats and cold cuts that I don't want to accidentally get waterlogged.

The stove we use regularly - heating water to boil, making simple side dishes in pots, et cetera. Again, nothing with strong odors (except coffee - coffee smell is always welcome).

As for the sink, well, that's an odd one for us. It's too shallow to be really useful, and we have to fix the water lines (there was a crack in one of the elbows and we just haven't gotten to fixing it yet), but we had used it previously for brushing our teeth, though we are just as likely to stand next to our water hookup and brush/wash there instead.

20. jm88

jm88 Member

This is great to hear all these different comments. At first, I couldn't imagine why someone would remove some of these features, but apparently some are less efficient than others, or there must be some small sinks out there that are worthless for washing dishes. But either way, the most important thing is we are still basically sleeping in a tent and are able to enjoy the outdoors unlike an RV would! I spend as little time as possible in the camper during the day, but it was really great the one time it rained. Even then, I mostly hung out under the awning rather than going inside.