Why go camping if you're afraid of the dark?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by Jimbow, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I've never seen a brighter campsite. Two people. One really nice pup, two screen houses, one potty tent, five strings of Edison lights, under camper lights, and two 25 foot strings of lights on the ground which I thought were for aliens to land. With our blinds closed and 100 yards away it lighted the inside of our camper.

Thankfully they turned them off at 10:30.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Had one like that across from me once. A dome tent with string lights on every rib and they hung one of those free-standing work lights on a tree behind it causing a bright spot at the top of the dome. Then, whatever they were burning in the campfire created smoke that it looked like what you said, the mothership had landed.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I guess everyone has a different definition of proper campsite illumination.

Jimbow and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hey as long as they turned them off. Your good. I turn mine off at 10 pm. After that its on me.

southern gal and Jimbow like this.
  5. grandpa mikey

grandpa mikey Member

but the lights look so pretty

6. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time!

Ought to be clear regulations on light pollution. Quiet hours = dark hours.

NHHAPPYCAMPER, BohoRex and Jimbow like this.
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Two years ago, saw a Class A rig with light show projectors aimed at it, on both sides, that ran all night. New money wants to be seen, and heard usually.

8. xxxapache

I have camped with senior citizens in the site with vision problems such as macular. They simply didnt see well in the dark. We went out of the way to light up the area for them to illuminate trip hazards and pathways.

southern gal, kitphantom and Jimbow like this.
  9. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

The folks across from us seriously thought they were signaling in a helicopter with the lights on the ground.

And I do want to add the people in the site seemed really nice and turned them off at 10:30 so I don't have a complaint. And it looked like a new pup. Somebody has to keep buying the new ones so we have a supply of used ones later.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

They way I look at it, as long as they turn them off at quiet hours I’m OK with it. In a way I can relate even though I don’t go all out myself . I’m the type to walk the campground after dinner just to see everyone’s setup with the lights on. Some are over the top, some are quite pleasant to look at. Much like holiday decorations during the holidays. I personally have an astigmatism that screws up my night vision so I need some kind of light to get me around. A soft light is usually sufficient but I can’t go great distances beyond the glow. When cooking or eating at night I need a brighter light, but turn things down when I’m done. Head lamps have been my best friend since they came out

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

Is there a petition we can start to add light restrictions to quiet hours? Light later into the evening is a much greater problem than noise in my opinion. I think it is due to mostly ignorance not thinking you are bothering your fellow camper. If it was in the rules then more would become aware of it or would give you more grounds to inform your neighbor about the rules rather than sounding like a curmudgeon if you let them know the light was an eyesore currently.

southern gal, LadyWolf and Jimbow like this.
  12. Sjm9911

I will add that its more noticeable in a pup or tent. The lights can keep up up at night In the TT not as much.

kcsa75 likes this.
  13. xxxapache

I vote no to any more restrictions or regulations....

14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When we were still in the Pup we were next door to a fiver with big lights on each side. As they were going to bed one of these lights came on and shined on us all night. I talked with the guy about it the next day. He apologized and suspected one of his little kids may have flipped the switch.

A couple of these are normally our source of light at the campground, not so much for the light but because I like them.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

15. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

I generally agree, the way I really feel is if my neighbor blasts his lights I should be allowed to blast my music. Take quiet hours away too.

Jimbow likes this.
  16. xxxapache

I close my eyes when I go to bed. I can't close my ears.

17. Sjm9911

If they leave them on, i do as above talk with them. Many have no idea it bothers some or that pups can be lit up all night. They think because there 5 er came with lights on all sides its normal to keep them on all night. Be productive and educate them. So far everyone ive talked to had no problems turning them off after that.

xxxapache likes this.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem with the overabundance of lights when camping.

For me personally, the lights would be more of an issue before quiet hours than during quiet hours. Before quiet hours, I may be outside watching the stars or night critters or taking night photos. A massively bright site would interfere with those things.

After quiet hours start, I am usually inside reading or sleeping. Even at home I do not require a darkened room to sleep. The only type of lights that affect my ability to sleep are motion detector lights or flashing lights - the repeated on and off will waken me every time.

LadyWolf likes this.
  19. LadyWolf

LadyWolf Member

We've only had a problem with the overly bright lights one time when the guy had a very bright floodlight that he hung from the lantern post - and it shined directly into our pup. He turned it on when he arrived and it stayed on for 1/1-2 days/nights. I'd say it was continuously on for about 36 hours. Even with everything totally zipped up, we didn't need any lights on inside our pup to see. We did see several people talking to him and he was pretty belligerent with them, so we didn't bother to approach him. I think the park rangers must have talked to him because we saw them headed in the general direction of the campsite when we were headed out to walk one of the trails and he was gone when we got back. I don't know if they booted him or if he left on his own, but at least the next two nights were nice and dark.

20. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Our "Sticks 'n Bricks" is in the Suburbs so, we have way too much light polution to live with on a day to day basis... we camp to get away from all that. [and the "hustle and bustle"]

It never ceases to put me in such great awe to get out in the woods and be able to see, ACTUALLY SEE, the stars, to be able to make out the Constelations... at the very least to find my old friend, the Big Dipper and the North Star.

I pine for the "good ole days" when you, and your camping neighbors, just had a Coleman lantern, or two and the light from your campfire. ... The Times, and fellow "Campers", oh how they have changed.... I guess I just don't get it

Oh Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder
    Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made
    I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder
    Thy power throughout the universe displayed

Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee
    How great Thou art, how great Thou art
    Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee
    How great Thou art, how great Thou art

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander
    And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees
    When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
    And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze