Why go camping if you're afraid of the dark?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by Jimbow, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I also have some night vision problems. My kids bought me a GRED™ brand headlight. (LED) It has several settings. Spot, flood, strobe, bright and dim settings as well as a red LED on the back side. It is rechargeable by various sources. USB, 120v and cigarette lighter, 12v. I've used it two nights in a row without recharging. Not saying it's the best because I have one. But it beats the AA/AAA versions

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Meet my little campground buddies:
    [​IMG]

xxxapache likes this.
  3. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm use to jet aircraft landing on my ceiling. ( 20 year Carrier Sailor) Noise doesn't bother me but bright white lights will keep me awake all night.

Jimbow likes this.
  4. Dragonfly Lou

Dragonfly Lou New Member

One of the reasons we go camping in the woods is to enjoy the night sky and stars. In October we had the same situation happen, luckily we were leaving the next day. Family with 2 teens came to set up camp in early evening, when we went to look at stars when it was full dark it was like it was almost daylight. 3 Edison bulb strands strung around the camp area (large tent setup) 2 halogen shop lights on stands and 2 lanterns. I really didn't get it either. It didn't bother us but we had a good chuckle over it being a landing sight also. We don't even use our outdoor light very often mostly just a soft inflatable solar light when were are outside at night.

Jimbow likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the time I was camping and a woman from the site next to me suggested that I might enjoy it more at night if I turned my AC off and opened the windows....I guess the noise from my AC disturbed her. I needed some of those ear plugs to give her.

6. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Ah, so lovely.

7. EdinMI

EdinMI New Member

So is Poison Ivy !

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Jack Sprat likes this.
  8. leondricks

leondricks New Member

Don’t be too hard on them. My brother always has a ton of lights. I asked him why one time and he told me that he was afraid of the dark. I teased him until he explained to me that it was his PTSD from his time in the Army in Iraq. Although he does turn them off at night and only leaves a red light on at night inside the trailer.

I have been at campsites trying to look at the stars with other sites lite up like Xmas and have very nicely asked them to turn them off and was accommodated.

Jack Sprat and xxxapache like this.
  9. Fix it first

Fix it first New Member

Funny...this reminds me of a time when I walked by a campsite late at night. Young couple with young kids. White (yes) dome tent with so many lights it was glowing like a spaceship. On my way back around mosquitos and insects were swarming and mom was huddled outside with the kids while dad was inside spraying bug spray everywhere - inside and out. Wanted to say...”just turn off the lights”! Some things are caught not taught.

PopUpSteve and ChiefHart like this.
  10. ChiefHart

ChiefHart New Member

My light problem was different. We were at a USA-COE campsite at a campground adjacent to the lake the Corps had built. The Bath house had an incompatible light fixture and flood light installed on the back corner and guess where it shined? Yep! right at our Popup. So I took my step-tool box and my Duct tape and made it so it did not shine out into the campsites. That was a case of where the light device was not the right style for the intended use,, nor was the lamp the correct type.

11. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

You really miss out on a lot when you try to light up the dark. Most folks can see much better in the dark than they realize. It amazes me how many people have never seen the Milky Way. I use a headlamp with a red light option around camp but we basically leave the lights out. We’re not in campgrounds so no light pollution

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  12. ChiefHart

ChiefHart New Member

You are correct about that. We often camp at Staunton River State Park (Va.)
    This park is the first state park in Virginia to be designated an International Dark Sky Park and is ideal for stargazing. Park staff conducts associated interpretive programs and rents telescopes. Contact the park for more information on star-watching opportunities.
    I too like to use a red headlamp at night, comes from my Navy days aboard ship.
    We also have camped at other parks that do not have all those lights or light pollution.

Mark CASTELLANI and gladecreekwy like this.
  13. Just Joey

Just Joey Member

The problem with lights (if a person feels threatened) is it lights YOU up and darkens everything else. My relatives many years ago would always run two street lights attached to their carport and their detached garage. That created shadows so deep you couldn't see a buffalo standing in the yard. And it helped advertise everything parked in the driveway.

I find that if I want ambient light, I want candle level light. Bright light is only good for cooking or reading. There is reason wWe live in the country and don't have any street lights nearby and love the darkness. The darker the better. When we back pack we carry a couple of 2 AA battery headlamps only. Get the chores done before sundown, go to bed when the campfire burns down and get up when the sun rises again. I have an antique carbide lamp. Amazing how bright that is when that is all a person has.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  14. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

We have blackout "curtains" in the Aliner for use as needed. Of course, when boondocking, its not an issue.

xxxapache likes this.