Why I am in the market for a camper...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by dbhost, Dec 12, 2018.

1. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Glacier and Yellowstone for sure. Not all of the campgrounds in these parks have the restriction but the restriction really narrows down your choices.

Nothing wrong with this! You will learn a lot with your first camper without a huge initial investment.

2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Oh there's an investment, just indirect. My friend is an engineer (petro-chemical) who has an office in a shed on his property. I am dressing it out with a dedicated data cabinet, custom cabinets, desk etc... (woodworking, my hobby, and IT work, my profession), services in trade for the camper...

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

One thing to consider with small trailers of any type is comfort when relaxing. If you like to sit up in bed OR sit on the couch with your legs up, you have to watch the angle of the walls and/or the placement of the windows.

4. MyName

MyName Active Member

@BikeNFish what? Yellowstone doesn't alllow popups? That park site is on my list of must visit. I read Yellowstone. If a bear can rip open a car why can't he rip open a full size trailer.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Not sure what the policy is now in Yellowstone NP but last time we were there popups were restricted from the Fishing Bridge campground, welcome in all others.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

My apologies if this came across wrong, popups are welcome at Yellowstone, but as GreyFox stated, Fishing Bridge is off limits. Also be aware that bears are a real threat in Yellowstone and Glacier. If you are seen by the Rangers (and they patrol often) to leave any reason for bears to come into your campsite (leaving your grill, food, garbage out in the open and unattended), you can expect anything from a fine to expulsion. The Rangers don't mess around.

On a side note, about 12 years ago, for five days we stayed at Fishing Bridge in a Lance truck camper on top of a dually pickup. I felt tiny compared to the Class A's all around us.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Most campgrounds in Alaska prohibit any soft sided camping unit (tents, yurts, PUPs) from having ANY food in the units. All food must be stored in provided (sometimes) bear boxes or most often in your vehicles. That's also one reason we wanted to go to a TT. Can a determined bear get in a TT, sure. A determined bear can get in just about anything short of a panic room if they want food.

I've yet to come across a CG that prohibits PUPs entirely in AK, and we have a bear or two, but the "no food in soft sided units" is almost universal, and in general, wise.

8. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the conversations on this forum! And I'm so glad there are so many ways to camp. We have owned an embarrassing number of campers over a long period of time and all met our need in one way or another. 5 pop ups, an Aliner, 2 class Cs, one B+ and 3 travel trailers. pop ups great for camping in the woods with kids, motorized RVs for road trips, VW westfalia, and an Aliner. Travel trailers work best for us now. Our trailer now is probably the last one we will need. big enough to meet our needs, small enough to enjoy the journey. we have learned something from all our camping experiences. but one thing remains the same; the less we take the better, but take enough to be as prepared for true needs.

we want the comfort of a good bed that remains set up. we camp both in the woods for days and on the road for a single night. we don't take any thing that needs shore power except what is built into the camper. we carry a solar panel and a healthy battery, but not a large bank of them. Stored in the camper is a Mr. buddy heater, a webber baby Q grill and 2 chairs for sitting outside. I like my current set up because we have enough storage to keep everything we need to camp stowed in the trailer and ready to go. All we do is pack perishable foods and a few misc. items.

we tow with a 4L V6 toyota 4 runner, we don't need to or want to drive fast. 55-60 is our average speed, back roads and sightseeing are part of the experience.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Merlin14, kcsa75, emoney and 2 others like this.
  9. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

10. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

I bought an Aliner (used) then sold my travel trailer a month later. It paid for the Aliner. I am impressed how easy it is to set up. I had a pop up and still have a small teardrop. The Aliner is bout perfect for us. Txbum

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I keep going back and forth. I love my pup, but my style of camping is definitely not minimalist. I have a pretty well equipped outdoor kitchen that gets set up for all our cooking, and that can take a while to get set up between getting the awning and screen room out, assembling camp tables, folding kitchens and hooking up everything. In the hotter months (I camp in TX) I also have the 2nd portable A/C that gets installed in the pup to supplement the rooftop unit, plus all the reflectix. I have a big pup, which is pretty comfortable inside, but with the slide it becomes a jigsaw puzzle to fit everything in. If I get something out of order I often have to redo things, which happens a lot as I am always tweaking my loadout.

The biggest benefit for me if I went grey or dark is to remove some of that crazy packing problems. I would still have an outdoor kitchen as I enjoy cooking while camping, and need the extra space. Plus at least one bed would be made all the time, unlike my current pup which requires making the bed on every set up. My knees and back are not as friendly with the effort that goes into getting it all set up, especially the squatting under the bunks to get the support arms in. I have also done a number of mods that really help with the livability, but since it is a pup they all require assembly. For short 2 night stays I don't bother with the tension shelves over the galley or using the drawers for clothes, we just live out of a duffel. I must admit though, for those longer trips I have succeeded in making my pup quite comfortable. It just takes a lot of work.

I was the same way for tent camping - my ultimate goal has always been to make every outing as comfortable as possible. Tent heaters, cots, stand up tents, batteries for electronic device recharging, 12V A/C for summer camping, kitchen sink with running water, multiple stoves, grills, etc.

The only thing really stopping me is finances. I really don't want another monthly payment, and the one that fits our family is a relatively new floorplan so it won't be super cheap like getting a 10 year old camper. Until the money flows better I'll continue making the pup work, although only me son and I use it as my DW is not a fan of the pup or the work that goes into it, even if we went minimalist (which quite frankly would take most of the joy out of getting away for a weekend). A hybrid or TT would hopefuly get us all out as a family, and potentially just DW and I when our son goes off to college in 4 years.

12. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I had new pup with young family and first child. It was a bitch. Basically only pup on weekends and use rest of vacation time for hotel trip. Second kid born pup traded for hybrid for the dual diaper years. Hybrid gone after divorce and diaper years ending. Back to pup and doing week ends and week long trips.

13. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

we went from the pup world to the...not going to say TT world....because it is and its not...to a world in between. the teardrop. the winnie drop. it offers the pup simplicity, damn near the price, but so much more convenience, and nearly zero setup time. do yourself a favor. dont look from pup to TT. look in between. we now have better insulation, a closer to full height fridge, a wet bath, eh yeah that kinda sucks. heater, bunkbeds..no cranking. works well with our teenagers but also light enough to tow with my little frontier. remember - there is a middle ground. Id never get a tt, just don t have the family reunions that seem to warrant it, nor the ginormous truck. id never go back to pup. dont like worrying about canvas. oh yeah, and no worries about spending too much time outside. even with the slide, its small.....and did i tell you it has an outside kitchen? just trying to say, there are options. look at winnie drop floorplans.

14. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Pups are the cats meow boondocking. Open every screened window, put gizmos on ends, deploy bag awning. Park on southeast exposure so hot sun hits the awning side. I had tt and hybrid. Nothing beats a pup opened up. You get 25 feet of space and a slideout dinette, couch, queen and king beds.

If your camping is moving apartment to full hookup and sleeping 10 feet from another family go ahead.

neighbormike likes this.