Why install a car stereo?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by chinolofus, Feb 28, 2013.

1. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

I see lots of people installing them and I don't understand why. They take up a lot more space that could be used for storage than a portable radio does. It also isn't portable. My set up is my cell phone with mp3's and a speaker the size of a baseball. I can move mine where ever I am. In the camper, by the fire, next to the hammock, by the lake, ect. I guess if you boon dock then you can blast your music but I know most people here don't boon dock. Am I missing something other than it looks cool?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Don't have one in the PUP but my guess is that music affectionados want the clear, crisp sound from expensive speakers. Or they camp with a group of party animals that camp in the middle of nowhere and want VOLUME.

3. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I like the sound of regular speakers versus the the mini speakers from a phone. I also like the convenience of having the stereo permanently in the camper and not having more items to store and fool with.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

My TrailManor came with an AM/FM stereo radio and CD player. I hardly ever use it because I don't sit inside much and it consumes trailer battery power. For outside I have a small "boombox" similarly equipped. I hardly ever use that, either. I prefer the sounds of nature when I'm sitting outside. On the rare occasions when I do use it, it is turned so low that it can't be heard beyond the boundaries of my campsite. I generally just listen to music while driving.

5. murchman

murchman New Member

Same reason you have one in a car cause you don't have to worry about leaving it, charging it, leaving it behind, etc. My E2 has speakers inside and out and for us it's not about how loud they go but how they sound when you just want enough music to be in the background but clear enough to enjoy. My radio has bluetooth so I stream from my phone to the radio and control it all from my phone and it also has USB so I also have about 64GB of music on a stick plugged into for an an almost endless play list.

6. TheBerrys

TheBerrys 1977 Palomino in Albuquerque, NM

I installed one because it is also a DVD player and we like to watch a movie now and then.

Dick

[​IMG]

7. vike-king

vike-king My worst camping trip ever, was terriffic!

I thought about installing a marine radio/cd player/ weather band in my pup. DW thinks its a great idea, since she loves listening to music. I want it for weather reports. She told me Im not a teenager anymore and I dont need subwoofers, mids, tweeters and amps like I had in my GT hatchback. Oh the memories! And loss of hearing. :grin:

8. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

I guess too that if you camp during the week then the parks are pretty empty so you can turn it up then. I I just thought of that now. We are weekend campers so I'm used to people being near by and would never turn up my stereo. Still seems like overkill to me but if you can find a good use for it without disturbing others than more power to ya.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

The thought of adding a car stereo has crossed my mind, it would be something less on the countertops. But since our PUP was brand new last year, I don't want to be cutting anywhere on it/or doing mods. DH always packs our Bose Radio for his musical enjoyment.

10. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I agree.
    That's the thing Â….other people do not want to hear your music. Why even have such a thing in a popup, unless you only boondock where you won't disturb others?
    I'm not camping to listen to someone else's music. Use some high quality headphones if you're into quality soundÂ… .your happy and I'm happy. [:)C]

11. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

We carry a small boombox that has AM/FM radio and CD player. I like to use it when we're camping with no hookups and boondocking. I'll turn it on so we can hear the weather report.

Campit

12. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

Its not about quantity its about quality..... The better the amp speakers and stereo the less volume you need, and I installed my amp and DVD player on a switch to turn them off when not needed

13. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

I have often thought about installing a car stereo with both indoor outdoor speakers for convenience as we always seem ti forget our little boombox

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

14. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

I have a Sangean all band portable radio, but it's usually too loud. I also have a small (coffee cup size) bluetooth speaker that I'll use when around the camper. At it's loudest it won't carry far, but still has good sound.
    I certainly don't want to hear my neighbors noises, so I make sure they cannot hear mine.

15. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Our HTT has a built in cd, dvd, am fm stereo with speakers on the inside and outside. They can be switched to use either inside, outside or both but generally we only use them inside when prepping meals etc. I'm with UT and prefer the sounds of nature when we're outside. We do use the outside speakers on occasion but keep the volume down so as not to bother other campers.

16. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

We use a little rechargeable speaker and sky radio.com. Ambiance is the goal.

17. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

We have a portable boom box with Sirius radio for work. When setting up the PUP, we run the antenna wire through the velcro next to the door and throw the antenna base upon the roof.

18. turborich

turborich Active Member

If you camp where you can get a good radio signal then you are doing something wrong. If you really need to watch a movie while camping then I feel for you.

It's camping folks, get out and enjoy the outdoors and leave the electronics at home...

[2C]

19. JETent

JETent JT

Our E3 came with the stereo already installed. I just replaced the factory head unit with a nicer after market. We don't listen to it much, mostly in the morning when we are sitting out under the awning drinking coffee, prepping breakfast and getting geared up for the days activities. When it is on, it is not loud--at all. If the stereo had not been installed, I don't know that I would have even bothered with it. Was not a must have feature. A small portable speaker and mp3 player would suffice just as well.

Now, about this camping etiquette. When we have to go into the state park scenario, a lot of times there are folks with their good old country music cranked way past 11 well into the night. That sucks. I do not like to hear other people's music, especially in campsite.

No movies for us. T.V. related stuff stays back at home. Our intent is to be out of the rig and in the woods, on the trails or in the surf as much as possible.

Anyway. My [2C].

Onward,
    JT

20. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I agree with this. Our 2010 Niagara came from the factory with inside/outside speakers as well as an entry level Jensen marine radio. I upgraded both sets of speakers as well as the head unit. It runs off of the deep cell on the camper, and I don't have to do anything, it will automatically be shut off if I forget, when I lower the roof.

I disagree with it saving you space if you bring a boombox--that boombox takes up more space than a car radio and all of the speakers combined, and requires batteries and/or counter space to set it up.