Why install a car stereo?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by chinolofus, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Mine came with one from the factory, also indoor and outdoor speakers

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Our HTT came with a radio/CD that takes and Aux/USB source, speakers in and out. the old P'up was DW MP3 player and a set of computer speakers. I hardly ever use the radio in the truck let alone the camper...prefer dragging out an instrument and making my own.

3. flytyer

flytyer Member

We don't usually use electronics when we camp. But I try to remember to bring my emergency radio. You just crank it and you can get weather stations or I can listen to the ball game.

4. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

Our Fleetwood Arcadia came with one already installed in the pup, with inside & outside speakers. I love listening to music but I do try to keep it down so only I can hear it. I don't want to be "that guy" that everyone is griping about.

5. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

If using a 12v battery, some auto stereo units have a high amperage draw,
    and can be hard on a battery. [:(]

6. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Same for me. Having the ability to watch movies comes in handy in the rainy PNW. Also has Sirius capability for when boondocking and want to hear music that's not on any phone.

7. arffch

arffch Member

I find it a ice breaker with the folks around me. I interduce my self and explain that i worked around airplanes for 20 years. I sometimes dont realize how loud my music is. I tell them if its too loud to , stop by and let me know and we'll meet in the middle somewhere. or tell me what station you like/are listening to and we'll work something out . or bring a beer and join in [:D] At one campground last year there were 5 campers on one loop that were playing the same radio station. The camp hosts heard the music and come to check. when they figured that it wasn't one loud stereo but 5 mild sounds they laughed

8. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Same here!!! Why do some people actually think other campers want (or should be required) to hear their music? I don't understand this way of thinkingÂ… so selfish and inconsiderate.

9. nycamper77

nycamper77 New Member

I like to listen to the sounds of nature over a radio. But I still carry a radio with me just in case.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I would imagine the reason a car stereo goes in is because 12V is available, and the car stereo provides a high quality sound in a small space. I think a lot more folks camp without shore power than you think, however.

To each their own, but for the most part, I've experienced if you're in a "campsite" the only sounds of nature you hear are the kids cutting through your site and folks drinking adult beverages a mere 3-4 hours before it's time to get up to go fishing. UNLESS, you have a CD OF the sounds of nature, then, crank it up! [;)]

[{}=] [SUN]
    *** [PUC] [PUT]

11. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I like to have a radio for weather reports and the wife has to have music when she goes to bed at night.

12. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Ours came with one, but I've pulled the fuse so it doesn't light the place up at night. I don't really like music when I'm camping unless it's coming from a guitar. I also don't like listening to other peoples choice of music, when I'm out to enjoy nature.

13. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

and dogs barking.
    I go into the woods to experience nature. At the campsite I have my jobsite radio and keep the volume down. I would like to install a radio in my pup. I don't know where the factory location is and what type to get.

14. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

We have a stereo in the E3 but seriously never use it unless we are at home, otherwise I have a Bluetooth speaker that's loud enough to hear but quiet enough it doesn't bother other campsites.

CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM.

2000 Land Rover Discovery, loaded with ARB and ready for the end of the world.
    2008 Fleetwood Evolution E3, loaded and ready for the end of the world.
    1967 Heckaman Manufacturing, "Phoenix" 18FT travel trailer.. Beginning of Mobile Man-Cave process.

15. martykowalski

martykowalski Member

I'm an audiophile and kind of an A/V nerd, so one of the first things I did after inheriting my camper from my folks is install a car stereo. Compared to the little portable radio my parents had in there, the sound quality is much better. I like having background music but the keyword there is background music, not a broadcast! I keep the volume low at all hours, but particularly in the evening I make sure that you can't hear the radio past the perimeter of the site. I find that most of the time during the day and evening hours, you can't hear anything but screaming kids, barking dogs, and drunk a-holes anyway, so I cut that with a little quiet background music, then when quiet hours come, I can switch it off and enjoy the sounds of nature.