Why is my flip-up galley so freakin' heavy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Orchid, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is the one sticking point that makes it impossible for me to put the camper up alone. I can every other thing.

I've had PUPs in the past and always been able to lift them. This one is just ridiculous. And there is very little clearance between the top half and the bathroom, when it's in the down position. It would be better if I had more space to maybe use back or lower body strength.

Is there anything I can do to make it easier. Can I oil those bicycle looking chain things in the lifts? I'm not a weak person. I feel like I'm stronger than an average woman and this shouldn't be such a problem.

All advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Katskamper

Katskamper Well-Known Member

mdf base? can you add a handle or strap for better grip? im adding a large grip pull handle that will also serve as towel rack.

3. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Orchid, could it be you're getting old!? [LOL] couldn't pass it up, sorry! Is it a stability to add a lift assist cylinder like what is found on the trunk of a car? I'm not sure what chains you're talking about, but if there is a chain then there must be a sprocket, and if there's a sprocket that means there's a bearing. If there's a bearing are you sure it is lubed well, or has it begun to turn south and working on a slow seizure?

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

On our flip galley, the stove adds a bit of weight. When we travel without the stove and just the replacement countertop. Without the stove it's really light and easy to flip over.

5. link81

link81 New Member

mine's pretty easy to lift. one hand does it no problem, even when the cupboards are packed full.

are the hoses catching on the mdf lower counter?

might be worth pulling the sprocket assembly apart and cleaning/lubing the chain and sprocket bearings.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Ok, I just reread her post and she does not have a flip over galley, but does have a swing galley!!

7. Orchid

[LOL] Okay, so that could be part of the problem.

It has a huge, full length handle. There is no problem getting a grip on it. It's just too heavy to lift up for me.

The hoses are not catching, I already checked that. I just feel like it weighs a million pounds. I think the chain things need some attention. I'm going to have to figure out how to do it.

Yeah, I probably used the wrong terminology. It doesn't go upside down. It just kind of moves over and down. I'll post a photo and get one of the chain things I'm talking about. I think I need to take them apart.

8. Orchid

Okay, so I went outside and took it apart on one side. There are no bearings. At least not in the sense that I pictured. I was looking for something like wheel bearings, and I know how to pack those, so figured I could do the same here.

Here is what it looked like prior to me touching it:

[​IMG]

After I took the cover off:

[​IMG]

Decided to take the bottom part off since it was identical to the top and easier to reach:

[​IMG]

Pulled the thing with the gears on it out:

[​IMG]

The part with the gears on it doesn't open. It's one solid piece. No bearings that I was picturing being there. [:!]

So any new advice? Other than working out, cause that's just not gonna happen. Should I oil the gears? The chain? What kind of oil? I have some sewing machine oil.

Unfortunately, it looks like this galley is not getting any lighter unless I take something out. The sink is never leaving. Never. That would only leave the stove, which I really don't want to take out either. It looks like my only solo camp outs may be in the yard, where DH can set up for me. If we only had a pond where I could fish .......

One more galley question. What the Sam Hill are these hideous looking things and why would anyone put BLUE ones when the whole camper is green??? There is one on each corner. The galley does not touch anything when down, so not needed for bumper or anything. I want to remove them, but concerned about how it will look underneath. One day when we go to paint the cabinets, they will go.

And if they are bumpers of some sort, why the slits on the front?

[​IMG]

9. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I'm guessing some kind of Fabric/plastic holder. You shove a sheet in there and the plastic "cuts" will hold it.

Haven't got a clue what for however.

10. Orchid

That makes sense for the slits for sure. That means they were not original to the camper and someone has ZERO sense of color coordination. The entire camper was forest green, all original, when I got it. And they chose blue ..... [:O]

I'm going to Google them based on that guess and see what I can find out. Thanks.

ETA:

Oh my gosh, you were spot on! I would have never figured this out. Had they gotten clear, I may actually use them. But can't deal with the clashing blue, even with the new color scheme in the camper. Maybe they didn't realize there is a towel bar that runs the entire length behind the galley? [?:~{]

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/spectrum-trade-adhesive-towel-grabbers-set-of-2/1043603039?skuId=43603039&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenaccessories_&product_id=43603039&adpos=1o1&creative=43742642509&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4_DABRC1tuPSpqXjxZwBEiQAhMIp6_vuBRJ8jWYNlFKi9KByj631Um0QHN7IY3jF1QB6ZSgaAnQa8P8HAQ

11. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

That makes sense actually, I've been hunting for a place to put my dish towel so it could dry, but be out of the way.

The clear looks better too.

12. wastric

wastric New Member

the lower sprocket is keyed to the bracket bolted to the lower galley cabinets and does not turn. The motion of the swinging arm up, out and down causes the chain to move around that fixed sprocket and rotate the upper sprocket on its shaft. The upper sprocket is keyed to the upper cabinet and so as the lift arm is moved the chain rotating around the lower sprocket keeps the upper cabinet level. Since you are in humid Florida I suspect that both the pivot links of the bike type chain and the upper bushing area of the sprocket are somewhat rusty and could also be gummed up with dried out lube. also where the lift arm pivots and rubs against the fixed sprockets also will need cleaning and lubing. It is also possible that there is a helper spring in the upper sprocket area that winds up as you lower the galley to help lift it but I don't see one called out in the grand tour parts books so it must be a closed assembly that was not available as individual parts. To see this in action, with the cover off mark the lower and upper sprockets. and then swing the galley up or down. they will maintain their relationship to each other due to the chain. they will also stay level which keeps the upper cabinet level. all of the mating surfaces where the lift arm and the sprockets rub past each other need to be clean and lightly lubed with dry silicone spray, not regular silicone spray. That will just attract crud and dust. cleaning the chains thoroughly and then lubing them with dry silicone should free them up too.

13. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

^pay attention to this orchid. He's right on the money. I suspect most of your issue is with that chain and sprocket assembly, not making it heavy but holding it back while trying to move. The extra weight is the obvious extra force needed to overcome this chain and sprocket assembly. If you don't know how to remove the chain just youtube "how to remove a master link".

14. wastric

wastric New Member

from the parts books, it looks like all you need to do to remove it is to remove both lower nuts and pivots and then take the upper nuts off and push the bolts inward until they clear the lift handle . This should let you lift away the lift handle then pull the sprockets and chain off together. You should not need to break the chain at its master link. once you have all the parts cleaned of old lube and rust, the reassembly is the reverse. The upper pivot bolts should be accessible through the upper cabinet doors. I can't tell from the parts book if the bolt has a retainer on the inside end or if you will need to hold it with a wrench while loosening and tightening the upper nut. make sure the chain moves very freely as it has to wrap around a very tight radius sprocket. you also have to make sure when you put the sprockets back inside the chain that you have the key ears lined up with the upper and lower mounting bracket slots so the ears will mesh. Then its just a matter of putting it all back together. Don't tighten the nuts to much or it will bind the sprocket to lift arm pivot areas. If the nuts won't stay on, use a little removable medium strength lock tight. Be very careful to keep it from going near the sprockets or the lift handle pivot areas.

15. Orchid

Wow, thank you. I will do just that. Fantastic explanation! The whole affair was pretty gross and left black all over my hands.

Thanks, I will Google a video.

Any advice on what to clean it with prior to the dry silicone spray? Just wipe down? Or use something on it?

16. Orchid

Excellent!

I can't see the inside due to the sink being there. This may turn into a bigger operation than I originally thought. Will see how it goes though. Thanks so much for the advice. [:D]

In case you missed my last post, what you do recommend cleaning it all with?

17. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

If you take everything out of the galley does it seem lighter? I find that the swing galley works quite well but we keep mostly light stuff in there like towels and utensils.

Cant tell from the pic but is the countertop original? Ive seen some remodels where people put a regular countertop in which is thicker and heavier.

18. wastric

wastric New Member

any good solvent should clean the metal parts. I personally like mineral spirits. It is safer than most, doesn't leave a residue and doesn't smell too bad. You can get it almost anywhere. Walmart , home depot etc. in their paint departments. I would wear some viton disposable gloves to keep it off your hands and do it in a well ventilated area away from open flames or other ignition sources. from the looks of it, the chain is just standard bike chain, if you soak it in solvent and use a stiff brush on the rusty areas, then flex it a lot while still in the solvent so it will break up the rust in the pivot areas. Dry silicone spray can usually be found at auto parts stores but otherwise can be hard to find. It costs about 8 to 10.00 per can. Just follow the directions on the can. if there is a bushing in the hole in the lift arm where the upper bolt goes through, make sure to clean it out as well. then spray it with dry silicone as well. (bushings are just smooth walled tubing that the bolt goes through and lets the bolt turn inside it. a cheaper version of a bearing. ) try to avoid over spray with the dry silicone as it can stain the canvas. Only put it where you need it to lube parts moving past each other, the sprockets, flat washers lift arm ends and upper sprocket bolt hole through the lift arms. ether put something behind the areas while spraying , like a piece of cardboard and or wipe down the overspray with some surface cleaner before it drys. As far as getting to the bolts, you may have to reach around the sink and feel for the bolt head. Its not a quick repair. The parts book calls for 1 hour to remove and replace the lift arm and thats the expected amount of time a professional RV tech would need to do it. Don't get in a hurry and take photos as you go if you need them to keep it clear for reassembly

19. Orchid

It's all original, and there was nothing at all in the cabinet or drawer when I tried to lift it. This means some maintenance is happening this weekend. I'm sure DH will be thrilled. [;)] I can probably do most of it myself though.

Thank you very much! You're my hero! You even read my mind in this post. I was thinking "what the heck is a "bushing"? [LOL] There was actually one on the lower end. Once you described it, I remember putting it back on.

I will look for the dry silicone spray tomorrow at a few places. If not, I will order on Amazon.

20. wastric

wastric New Member

if it still feels too heavy to lift after making sure nothing is binding rubbing or catching, and fully lubed the next thing to do is make yourself a cheater bar. A short handle that you can hook onto the lift handle to give you more leverage and mechanical advantage. Let me know if you want to go that way as I have a pretty good idea what shape it would need to be but will need to know of any obstructions in front of the upper galley when its in the lower position.