Why is my flip-up galley so freakin' heavy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Orchid, Nov 4, 2016.

1. wastric

wastric New Member

If there is an Oreillys auto parts in your area, they usually have it.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MMM0/08897.oap?ck=Search_dry+silicone_-1_-1&keyword=dry+silicone
    when you take the lower end apart, please take some photos. I can't quite tell how the lower pivot comes off the lift arm tubing. Does it just slide into the flattened area at the bottom of the metal tubing? the pivot looks very rusty from the one photo you posted. If the chain is very rusty or worn where it has been riding on the sprockets, just turn those areas to the long flat part of the chain path and put new areas onto the sprockets.

2. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Orchid, wd40 makes a dry lube product, it sprays on looking wet just like any wd40 but dries so as to not gather any dust or dirt like grease. I use the wd40 brand dry lube on my chairs in hunting blinds to keep them quiet and free of dirt.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm not crossing that bridge yet. [LOL] I'm thinking positive that this will work wonders.

I will photograph the whole affair and post it here. [:D]

The lower pivot just slides right off.

Thanks, I will check for that. May save me from having to wait on Amazon. I have Prime, but sill would not have it this weekend.

4. wastric

wastric New Member

NAPA Auto also carries it . https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/MMM08897/MMM08897
    I like the 3M brand and NAPA is cheaper priced than Oreilly's for the same stuff. It has to be 08897 , that's their dry silicone.
    I finally found a image of the 99 Nevada . It must be a rare late model addition offered only in 99 as it is not shown in any of the Coleman brochures, even the 1999 brochure doesn't have it. I found it in the 99 parts manual as they showed all the floor plans in that manual.
    I see what you mean about it being tight with the galley and the bathroom both down at the rear of the camper like that. how were you able to get photos of the left side of the galley? in the floor plan I found, the left side is right up next to the bed end wall.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37743407/COLEMAN%20PARTS%20BOOK/1999/1999%20coleman%20grand%20tour.pdf
    Is that your floor plan?
    Oh I failed to say that I would spray the chains several times with the Dry Silicone lube, letting it dry each time before hitting it again and turning it over so it gets well coated all around. It will both let it flex well and reduce surface rust.

5. wastric

wastric New Member

before you try tackling the sink side, remove the drawer under the cooktop and see if you can get a good look at the upper pivot bracket/upper bolt assembly on that side, they should be built the same and by seeing the right side one, you will know what it takes to get to the one behind the side of the sink. You said there was a bushing on the lower bolt next to the sprocket. was the lower pivot assembly riding on the outside of that bushing? if so, clean and lube the outside of the bushing and the inside of the lower pivot assembly as the pivot moves on the bushing and rides between the sprocket and the large flat washer. The bushing most likely does not move on the bolt and is sandwiched on the bolt by the sprocket and large flat washer. the movement is between the pivot and the outer rim of the bushing.
    From the photo I can't tell if the upper bolt pivots with the upper sprocket and upper cabinet or with the lift handle. you will need to look and see which way it is supposed to move and make sure that area is smooth , clean and lubed so nothing binds.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Wow, never thought of those in the pup!! Not sure how many times I wanted a towel by the sink without fumbling for it. Yes, clear would be a better choice!!

7. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Orchid.....I've read this entire thread and I didn't see where anyone had mentioned this yet. The only reason I'm mentioning it is because mine sometimes seems very heavy as well. There is a place along the lifting bar that you are supposed to place your hands for maximum efficiency when lifting. If your decal was worn off or missing that could make a difference. Ok, I'm going back in my hole...

8. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Orchid, in ref to the towel holder, you could always remove the blue ones and replace with clear ones in the same spot. That will cover any spots left by removal. If you use a narrow, sharp putty knife, they should come off with little to no damage to the surface. Good luck with all your repairs and take your time and take lots of pics as you remove things so you can put it back the way it needs to go.

9. Orchid

I don't think they made very many Nevada campers. I have never seen anyone else that has one. Yep, the floorplan shown in that brochure is the same as ours. I was sitting on the bunk for a couple of the photos. Then I moved to a kiddie chair on the floor.

There is about 6"-8" space on the lower galley that is visible between the upper galley section and the bunk. We usually lay a surge protector there. It's also a good place to put a drink if you are using that bunk. :) In any event, thankfully, the top galley is less wide than the bottom galley, allowing room for access.

I will have DH move the galley up and down, while I watch, to see which way the chain moves. We have a grandson's birthday party to go to. Will pick up the needed supplies in town and get started this evening.

Yeah, now that I know what they are, I am taking them off and not worrying about damage underneath. I can just replace them with clear ones. :)

There are no decals on ours. I will DEFINITELY check into this prior to starting our big operation. If that works, I will be thrilled. Still may commit to cleaning and lubing them, even if I can do so without removing them. Thanks for the mention! [:D] If you say yours is heavy, and you look to be in good shape, there may be nothing wrong with ours at all! Stay out of that hole, my friend! I'm always interested in what you have to say. :)

Great minds think alike! That is exactly what I am going to do. [:D] Thank you for mentioning it, though. Sometimes (a lot of times lol) the obvious escapes me. [:D]

10. jumpoff

"There are no decals on ours. I will DEFINITELY check into this prior to starting our big operation. If that works, I will be thrilled. Still may commit to cleaning and lubing them, even if I can do so without removing them. Thanks for the mention! [:D] If you say yours is heavy, and you look to be in good shape, there may be nothing wrong with ours at all! Stay out of that hole, my friend! I'm always interested in what you have to say. :)"

never hurts to lube something.... If you can wait till the rally you can try mine and compare and see what cha think.

11. Orchid

Never got to investigate this project any further today as we arrived home from our grandson's birthday party to the woods right next to our property up in flames!

We live in a densely wooded area and this idiot, who owns property that backs to ours, decided to clear some property by setting it on fire. Needless to say, that got out of control. Other than being generally furious over this, I am doubly angry that the clearing this loser did near his own home was done with bulldozers and chainsaws. On the back of his property, despite it being close to our home, he decided to burn out the woods.

On this photo-
    Blue circle - our house
    Purple circle - one of our daughter's house
    Yellow circle - our extra house (bought just for the property, house is yuk)
    Red circle with X - the area burned out by fire
    Small red circle - idiot's house that started the fire

[​IMG]

The fire department had to call the Forestry Department and they've been here all afternoon and evening trying to contain it. They have bulldozers dug fire breaks all around, but still random flames popping up so they are still here. This was the view from our rear property line earlier that used to be all woods. Thankfully, there are still quite a bit of woods behind where I was standing to take the photo. The last thing I want is a view of this guy's property from our house.

[​IMG]

12. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I hope your forestry dept hits him with the bill for all that equipment and manpower. Plain stupidly.

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I agree that the Idiot should be made to pay for the clean up.

14. Orchid

I think they will. One of the forestry guys asked us if we had witnessed him back there burning. I believe they are going to charge him criminally as well. He doesn't even live here. He shows up for a couple of weekends a year. On Thanksgiving every year, they have a huge amount of extended family there and ride 4 wheelers.

I'm guessing he is there is this weekend trying trying to make a bigger area to ride for the upcoming holiday. He must have figured fire was the fastest way. It's also the stupidest way, but he doesn't care what damage he does because he has a full time home elsewhere.

Our oldest daughter (not the one on the map) and her husband are good friends with an arson investigator for the county, so we will get inside details on what they are planning for this guy.

I'm completely exhausted from staying up all night watching for any sign of flame. It's very, very dark out here, so any flame would have been easy to spot through our woods at night. On the bright side, the sky last night was stunningly beautiful, so thick with stars. It was a joy to look out while sitting on the deck.

Fire currently smoking and smoldering in small places. I'm keeping an eye on and praying for rain.

15. wastric

wastric New Member

sorry to hear about your moron infestation . I hope the state guys can clear it out for you. Now get back to the galley and slave away. [:D] . I did some more digging last night but was still unable to fine an photo or a description of the upper galley bracket. It most likely does not include a helper spring or there would be discussions about replacing broken ones as springs eventually fatigue and break. Lifting the galley from the middle looks to give you the most leverage as the lift arm is tallest in the middle but you would almost have to stand in your bathroom to get in the middle of the galley. Once the stay level assemblies are cleaned of old lube and rust and lubed again , it should be easier to lift but you might still need to make a extension to attach to the lift bar since you are lifting it from one side. Another thing I noticed is that the sprocket ears seem to be wedge shaped and that might be so they act as a brake as you lower the galley so it won't slam down. With a wedge brake, as the sprocket tries to turn the wedge shape causes the sprocket to push away from the fixed bracket and press against the side of the pivot end , sandwiching the pivot end between the sprocket and large flat washer. This would tend to cause resistance and slow the motion down. If the wedge is not lubed, it will bind and fail to push back into the slots on the fixed bracket as pressure gets less. That could also be causing you extra effort to lift and lower the galley. I wish I had access to one so I could test my ideas . I guess you will have to be the guinea pig for us.

16. wastric

wastric New Member

here is a link to Fleetwood/Colemans Patent diagram for the swing level galley assembly. It describes it and and shows some good diagrams. The original used adjustable turnbuckles in the chain to adjust the tension of the chains. It looks like they later simplified the design and your assemblies tension is adjusted by turning the nut on the pivot assembly where it pushes up into the lift arm. I can't tell if the upper pivot bolt is permanently attached to the upper bracket or not. if its permanently attached, you will need to remove the upper bracket from the right side so you can remove the upper sprocket and tat will allow you to slide the lift arm over to the left off of the left side upper bracket bolt. It might be a bit tight. If you rotate the lift arm handle towards the front after removing both the lower pivots, The bend in the lift handle should make it easier to slide the left side off the upper bolt.
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4534601.pdf

17. jumpoff

Orchid... I'm glad you are alright . Don't wanna lose you.

18. wastric

wastric New Member

I have been doing more digging and found better images of the galley lift assembly.
    Top of page 12 shows the Eye bolt pivot and bushing assembly with the chain tension adjustment nut. ( right side of page) and if you look lower on the right there is a side shot of the upper galley showing the upper sprocket b bracket through a round hole in the side. http://canvascampers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=264;t=1475420232
    From the looks of it, the bracket and bolt are held in by the rivet about 6 inches below the upper pivot point and possibly other screws or rivets at the top of the bracket. If the bolt is permanently attached to the bracket, the bracket will have to be removed from inside the upper galley to free up the lift handle and upper chain sprockets. Check from inside the upper cabinet drawer opening to see if the bolt is welded or crimped to the bracket or if the bolts can be removed after the nuts are off by pushing them into the cabinet. I would advise against trying to drive the bolt in with a hammer as it could bend or damage it.

19. jumpoff

Yesterday I set up my 2001 Coleman Utah in the driveway to do some repairs. I noticed the sticker that said "lift here" on the galley lifting bar wasn't centered on the bar. The sticker is placed slightly to the left side of the bar. I will try and post you some pics tomorrow. I noticed when I grabbed an lifted the bar to lift the galley I didn't have my hand exactly where it should have been. It seemed pretty heavy. I let the galley back down and re-positioned my hand in the correct position. It was a little easier but it's still heavy. I think the technique you use when lifting it is important as well. If you can use your legs to lift it to your waist you can then almost push it from there....be careful not to hurt yourself...the last thing we need is an injured wagonmaster !!!!

20. Orchid

Aww, so sweet, thank you! :)

Thank you so much for all the help you've been! I will be working on this hopefully by the end of the week.

Hmmm, I'm interested to see how far left it is. Maybe the same position on the right, but the sticker is missing?

Both my knees need replaced, so doubt my legs will be much help. My back is pretty strong, although supposedly I have both arthritis and osteoporosis in my spine. I have yet to feel any pain there, thankfully. I'm going to try lifting on the correct spots to just see how it goes.

I want to be able to do the full set up and break down because I joined a group of women campers and kind of want to go to one of their weekends. It looks like they have lots of fun. I love being with my family, but never been away alone before and think it would be a cool experience to just worry about me for a weekend.