Why is my flip-up galley so freakin' heavy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Orchid, Nov 4, 2016.

1. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

This picture probably won't do you alot of good but I would say the decal that says "lift here" is two or three inches to the left of center. By the way on all three of my Colemans the galley's are all pretty heavy.

Attached Files:

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I would hate seeing you go to alot of trouble taking it apart to discover that it's still going to be pretty heavy. I doubt if my DW could lift by herself.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Okay, so I'm feeling stupid. I showed these photos to DH and told him I was going to try to lift, with both hands, from that spot. He informed me that we have the exact same sticker. [:O] I didn't remember seeing it when I tried to lift it. It was actually there, but the "lift here" part of the sticker was on the bottom, so I didn't see it.

Since the camper has been up at home, I have a microwave sitting directly in front of the sticker, but it sure is there! Sorry for making you go to all that trouble. And, interestingly, ours is in the direct center.

I cleaned it out a bit and bought some dry silicone spray to use on it. I have not used it yet, as I have asthma and wanted to wait until I'm done with the inside of the camper to give it time to air out. I am also going to put some on the lift slides, but have to do a search to find out where to put it. I'm sure it will be here somewhere.

If your DW probably couldn't lift it either, I'm thinking it's naturally pretty heavy. I may have to start lifting weights. [LOL]

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

"If your DW probably couldn't lift it either, I'm thinking it's naturally pretty heavy. I may have to start lifting weights. [LOL]"

When I first found my unit, I tried to remove the shepherd poles and couldn't do it by myself and the gally weighed a ton . I bought the unit anyway and used the winter break to lift weights concentrating on my overhead lifting and increasing my strength in my shoulders. I am really pretty strong myself, but my strength was in different set of muscles then what I needed for the camper. Nothing like needing to lift weights just to use a camper, but it worked. Come spring I was able to do everything myself. I still struggle with one shepherd pole and the gally I still have to use two hands and stand in front acting like I'm lifting barbells off the floor with my arms but I could manage. It would be better if I keep at it all the time, but I get lazy and I hated going to work with sore muscles. I need to get back at again, I don't want to loose the strength I gained.

5. Orchid

This is absolutely inspiring! Thank you! I think I will start lifting weights. My flabby arms could use some muscle anyway. [:D]

6. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Ours is also really heavy, and I have to lift from the side in a position that does my ol' back no good...but so far no real problem. We have the right side up type, so that our kitchen stuff isn't flipped upside down, a big plus.

7. Orchid

That's the same one we have. It's actually called a swing galley. I mis-named it in the title. Sounds like your layout is similar to ours.

I'm going to do the chain maintenance eventually, even though I think it will still be heavy. But I watched at DH lifted it down today and the chains are disgusting looking. It's loaded now, as we are leaving on a trip tomorrow, so it was super heavy.

8. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Glad I read this thread. It's very informative. I never think about maintenance of the galley lift system, and I certainly hope I never have to take the whole chain thing apart, so here's my question. Can I do the solvent cleaning and relubing while the whole system is in place? Or will there be huge areas that I'm missing? I want to keep mine lifting smoothly for as long as possible.

9. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Bliss,
    I would think you can do enough cleaning/lubing to keep it operating smoothly without disassembling it - provided it currently is functional and not too dirty.

Depending on the solvent you use, be sure to protect the cabinet and drip areas so the solvent won't cause damage to adjacent surfaces. For hard to reach areas try using an old toothbrush dipped in solvent. You can move the upper cabinet into a mid position (neither totally up nor totally down) and support it with something like a step stool so you can clean the entire chain. Wipe the chain dry of any solvent with a shop rag (a paper towel will leave bits of paper towel in the chain) and then lightly spray the chain and sprocket bushings with dry silicon - again protect adjacent surfaces.

For extremely dirt conditions, it would be best to disassemble and completely clean the parts.

The "lift here" label is set at the point where there is equal weight to be lifted on each lift mechanism which also equalizes the torque put on those mechanisms. Lifting at that point will also balance the load for the person doing the lifting (one side isn't heavier than the other) but they still have to lift the entire weight.

10. Travis P Miller

Travis P Miller New Member

Where can I get the gear assembly? I am going nuts trying to find one. My left side one is missing. TIA

11. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

12. Tammie

Tammie New Member

Does anyone know where I can buy the galley swing system for my coleman popup?

13. Orchid

I'm happy to report that I have an update on this issue!

Last week, DH decided to rebuild the bottom cabinet under the galley. A bit of the wood on it was puffy from a water leak prior to us owning it, so wanted to make it look nicer for me. What he found is that the supports that were holding up the galley, and the swing arms are attached to, were 1"x 1" and sagging with age.

He replaced them with 2"x 2" new wood and the galley goes up so easy now! I can literally lift it with my left hand and I am right handed. It has made a world of difference. I am thinking that when it was new, it was nicely supported like this. But, being such narrow pieces of wood, it sagged over time. I've always been annoyed by the woman in the brochure lifting it with one hand, without breaking a sweat, now I can see where it wasn't false advertising after all. [LOL]

14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That great news. I just tore mine off the base trying to lift it. I headed out there now to Start a full blown demo war. It's time to make it mine!

Orchid likes this.
  15. Orchid

That was crazy timing! I'll bet ours wasn't far from breaking right off either. You will be amazed at what a difference proper support makes! Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Well that was fun[A] I removed The Galley completely along with the cabinet that holds the Furnace & Fridge. Tomorrow the Dinette will Follow it. I saved the Furnace, Sink and Stove. I know the Furnace will be staying but the other two I have to think about. When I can figure out how to get the pic's out of my phone I will start a rebuild tread.

Orchid likes this.
  17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

One more reason to think that when something does not seem right, it usually isn't and takes a little detective work to figure it out. Glad yours turned out good.

Orchid likes this.