Why is the RV Dealer trying to sell me silicone to seal my camper with?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Freedom72, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

For some reason when my camper was built they forgot to seal one corner. All other corners have putty tape and clear sealant over the putty. So I go into a big rv dealer/repair center. The parts guy hands me silicone. He said that what we use here???? Really silicone on an RV?
    I know I can use clear proflex by geocell but I read its super hard to remove if I need to service that area in future. Dicor doesn't make clear non sag or I would buy that. What else can I use thats clear on the corrugated aluminum corners of my travel trailer? Something that wont be impossible to remove should I need to in the future. Thanks for any info

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

They handed to you cause that is what they use for anything that isn't flat (cause that is where they use the Dicor)..

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I was going to say "Because he's a boob", but that would be the obvious joke.

4. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

I guess Im just gonna go with the pro flex clear

5. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Because they want the repeat "annual sealing" business.

6. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

I did some testing with the proflex by geocell..looks like im screwed! Pretty much looks like KZ used silicone when they built my brand new 2017 camper

Now I guess I have no choice but to service those spots with silicone now and in the future

I used a little alcohol to clean the sealant that I suspected was silicone from the factory

I then dabbed a small bead on top of it using the clear proflex. The wet proflex didnt even want to stick to it
    I finally got some to stick. Im gonna let it dry for 2 days and check it out

I just dont get why they would use an inferior sealant on a new camper. oh wait because its cheaper duh

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Now you see why you were handed silicone at the dealership .. Don't worry they use silicone on million dollar rigs too...

8. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

A friend of mine thats a contractor told me to use Lexel...He said it will stick where silicone was previously used